Jazzplus

mikeweil

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really too bad! I've got some of it as zeros and ones, and I am keeping my eyes open for used vinyl ... but they would make a great package, maybe even a Mosaic (a Select for the studio material? would be too bad about the terrific Pep's material - possibly my very favorite Lateef! - but still a great set!), but then they probably won't get access, either.

We should all give up our jobs, throw our money together and start the perfect reissue label. We'll all be broke after a year or two, but who cares ...

Mmmm. Maybe there is an EC Grant that we can all make a case for with Van Rumpy and co. If we can pitch in a green energy or regional development angle as well it will be a 'go'. :g

Edited by sidewinder

It's really too bad! I've got some of it as zeros and ones, and I am keeping my eyes open for used vinyl ... but they would make a great package, maybe even a Mosaic (a Select for the studio material? would be too bad about the terrific Pep's material - possibly my very favorite Lateef! - but still a great set!), but then they probably won't get access, either.

FYI, there will be no more Selects.

Re: Lateef it would make sense to combine the Savoys and the Prestiges - he sometimes recorded for both on the same weekend.

But I wouldn't wait - Fresh Sound was faster. There already is a 4 CD box with the 1957 sessions, more will probably follow later ...

Link

I've got that one ... actually I bought it for rather few tracks - but it's a nice package, and great to have it all in one place! Savoy failed to bring out the "Early" recordings pendant to their very good "Late Savoy" 2CD set, so I figured indeed I'd rather not wait for the Fresh Sound to go OOP, too! It also holds the fine lone Verve album (that was part of the Verve Elite Edition before).

No more Selects ... is that definitive? I've heard about it, but never saw (or forgot if I did) any final statement or announcement, I think.

couldn't find that info anywhere...

the blurb to the series is reasonably interesting by the way

"„Doppelt klingt besser!“ lautet der Slogan der neuen Serie, die jeweils zwei Originalalben auf einer CD versammelt. Aber auch die anderen Aspekte der preiswerten Edition können sich sehen und hören lassen: Alle Aufnahmen wurden neu digital von den Originalbändern remastert, viele Alben erscheinen hier erstmals auf CD oder waren lange nicht mehr erhältlich. Außerdem beinhalten die Booklets komplette Faksimiles der beiden Original-LP-Artworks, sowie natürlich alle diskographischen Angaben zu den Aufnahmen.

Ein weiterer Aspekt der Serie sollte nicht übersehen werden: Viele berühmte Jazz-Alben werden inzwischen von so genannten „Public Domain"-Labels herausgebracht, die weder die Rechte an den inzwischen rechtlich nicht mehr geschützten Aufnahmen, noch die Archivbänder besitzen. Das Nachsehen hat oft der Kunde, denn viele der Veröffentlichungen klingen ebenso schlecht wie sie aussehen. Bei der JAZZPLUS-Serie erwirbt man dagegen die Originalaufnahmen in bestmöglicher Qualität. Dafür bürgen auch die schönen und bekannten Logos der Labels Verve, Mercury, Prestige, Riverside und vieler anderer mehr. Sie würden ja auch keinen Mercedes ohne Stern kaufen, oder?"

the second paragraph explicitly mentions that these recordings are in the public domain, but that the "so-called" public domain labels don't have the original tapes and thus the present edition is newly remastered from the original tapes..., last sentence asks whether you would buy a Mercedes Benz without the star... haven't read that this explicitly from them before...

the second paragraph explicitly mentions that these recordings are in the public domain, but that the "so-called" public domain labels don't have the original tapes and thus the present edition is newly remastered from the original tapes..., last sentence asks whether you would buy a Mercedes Benz without the star... haven't read that this explicitly from them before...

Good points they made in their blurb, Niko. But as you pointed out, they explicitly ACKNOWLEDGE that these recordings are in the public domain (so nothing doing when it comes to moaning about legitimacy). They carefully stress the sound quality aspect only and they have a point.

And I'd love to go that route.

Only ... what are they going to offer us as far as the WHOLE spectrum of the original Verve catalog goes?

If I wanted to scour a Verve reissue catalog for a copy of Bert Dale's (aka Nils-Bertil Dahlander) "SKAL" LP, where do you all think would I be likely to dig up one first? In that Jazzplus series or at Fresh Sound etc.?

See what I mean? ;)

Re: Lateef it would make sense to combine the Savoys and the Prestiges - he sometimes recorded for both on the same weekend.

But I wouldn't wait - Fresh Sound was faster. There already is a 4 CD box with the 1957 sessions, more will probably follow later ...

Link

I've got that one ... actually I bought it for rather few tracks - but it's a nice package, and great to have it all in one place! Savoy failed to bring out the "Early" recordings pendant to their very good "Late Savoy" 2CD set, so I figured indeed I'd rather not wait for the Fresh Sound to go OOP, too! It also holds the fine lone Verve album (that was part of the Verve Elite Edition before).

No more Selects ... is that definitive? I've heard about it, but never saw (or forgot if I did) any final statement or announcement, I think.

That is definitive, unless Scott was lying to me. No more Selects or Singles. Neither were selling well enough to continue.

Mosaic was and has always been a labor of love. I sincerely doubt that anyone is getting rich off the big boxes either. Last time I spoke to Scott, I half-joked with him about Mosaic eventually going "download-only". He chuckled, but thankfully stated that their target audience is still the "physical product" crowd. Here's hoping they stay that way (or, more appropriately, have the opportunity to stay that way) for years to come.

I rather enjoyed the Selects. They worked for me in a lot of ways, sorry to hear of their demise. Reasonably sized/priced packages targeting a specific portion of work, hey. great idea, great product. Count me as a fan.

Too bad about all that inferior (but legal!) product delivered to impatient buyers at a price that Mosaic could not match. Too bad about that.

... the second paragraph explicitly mentions that these recordings are in the public domain, but that the "so-called" public domain labels don't have the original tapes and thus the present edition is newly remastered from the original tapes..., last sentence asks whether you would buy a Mercedes Benz without the star... haven't read that this explicitly from them before...

So my assumption that they got the inherent message from all those labels taking advantage of the public domain thing was right ... they really should figure out some way to give the collectors access to the rarities, but as long as they have to think in sales/production figures, I doubt this will happen.

... the second paragraph explicitly mentions that these recordings are in the public domain, but that the "so-called" public domain labels don't have the original tapes and thus the present edition is newly remastered from the original tapes..., last sentence asks whether you would buy a Mercedes Benz without the star... haven't read that this explicitly from them before...

So my assumption that they got the inherent message from all those labels taking advantage of the public domain thing was right ... they really should figure out some way to give the collectors access to the rarities, but as long as they have to think in sales/production figures, I doubt this will happen.

They got the message like what, ten years too late?

And yes, like Jim, I really enjoyed the Selects - too bad they didn't work out to be successful, for me personally, they were. I'm aware* that seven discs seems to be the format working best for Mosaic, but after all the smaller sets disappeared (there were plenty of them around, three or four disc boxes, when I started buying Mosaic product), I found it most welcome. They contain chunks of music that is often manageable more easily than large sets, and often they put out stuff that was pretty hard to find elsewhere (at least if, like me, you've been buying discs for around eighteen or so years out of continental yurp and without internext access or credit card for about the first five or so of these years).

*) and yes, I'm aware now, shoot me next time I forget :crazy:

That is definitive, unless Scott was lying to me. No more Selects or Singles. Neither were selling well enough to continue.

Yep, that's what Scott also told me.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks for the seal of approval <_<

You never stop, do you... Sheesh man, relax, it wasn't intended the way you interpreted it; I only posted what Scott told me, that's all.

Edited by J.A.W.

You never stop, do you... Sheesh man, relax, it wasn't intended the way you interpreted it; I only posted what Scott told me, that's all.

Why? I posted the same thing months ago.

I'm afraid it's you who never stops. Look at your post count.

Why? I posted the same thing months ago.

I'm afraid it's you who never stops. Look at your post count.

What's that got to do with it?? Never mind, it's no use trying to talk with you.

Edited by J.A.W.