Complete Collections?

colinmce

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have the absolutely complete recorded works of anyone except a few bluesmen who didn't record that many sides. But I'm pretty close with:

Jelly Roll Morton

Willie Humphrey

Boyce Brown (including the never-reissued Collectors Item 78)

Charlie Parker

Sigurd Rascher.

There are a few tracks by each one of these guys I don't have, but only a few.

For Bird I presume you mean his studio sessions. Or do you have most of the live bootlegs too?

I'm still a long way from my complete collection of Cage's 4' 33". Please don't tell me there are out-takes and false starts too.

But have you heard the 25-bit remaster?

I haven't. Is that the one Teo Macero cut up and reassembled in a different order? It's quite controversial as he took out the last 33 seconds and then pasted on a copy of the first 33 seconds to return it to the full length.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still a long way from my complete collection of Cage's 4' 33". Please don't tell me there are out-takes and false starts too.

I think you mean 24-bit; there's no such thing as a 25-bit remaster.

I actually have at least one CD that says that it is a 32-bit remaster.

Some German Chess CDs were also 32-bit remastered; they were released in digipaks. They sounded awful to my ears. As far as I know there are no 25-bit remasters, but maybe Bebop was kidding; it's sometimes hard to tell on the internet :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Some German Chess CDs were also 32-bit remastered; they were released in digipaks. They sounded awful to my ears. As far as I know there are no 25-bit remasters, but maybe Bebop was kidding; it's sometimes hard to tell on the internet :)

It is indeed a Chess digipak I have that says so, although it does not seem to be German. For some reason it says both "Digital remastering at MCA Whitney Studios, Glendale, CA by Doug Schwartz" and "32-bit Digital re-mastering by Hiltongrove, London". Perhaps "remastering" and "re-mastering" are two different things...

And BeBop was no doubt being facetious!

Yes, I was just kidding. I assume that A Lark Ascending was too. But, just in case he/she already had the 24-bit remaster, I though I'd give him/her something more to acquire.

Yes, I was just kidding. I assume that A Lark Ascending was too. But, just in case he/she already had the 24-bit remaster, I though I'd give him/her something more to acquire.

He/she is awaiting the 4.33-bit remastering. Lower-fi but more authentic.

Do you have the live version where Cage sits at an electric piano and a guy whispers 'Judas' at about 0'30"?

He/she is awaiting the 4.33-bit remastering. Lower-fi but more authentic.

Do you have the live version where Cage sits at an electric piano and a guy whispers 'Judas' at about 0'30"?

Very good! One of those smiley things.

What are those German (or wherever from) Chess digipacks? I never saw one! Any links, scans?

They looked like this:

1293893261_cover.jpg

758717.jpg

51voUweibRL._SL500_.jpg

Some were useful twofers; others were compilations. I remember the sound as being good.

As I said earlier to my ears the sound on those was horrible, harsh/bright, very unpleasant. To each their own.

Oh, I have several of these ... while I did notice the US editions having different covers (see below), I somehow never arrived at realizing those other ones being German. I assume the remasterings used were identical?

Nice series, all considered, the Terry being particularly good (the Gonsalves album!), the Jamal and Ramsey Lewis more than useful introductions ... also there's a great James Moody in the series (At the Jazz Workshop, some of his meanest playing to heard there!). Never saw the Herman, didn't even know of its existence!

MI0000161455.jpg

MI0002757038.jpg