Hurricane Sandy

The wife never told me anything about about hurricanes slamming into bizzards (to say nothing about the earthquake about a year ago) when we moved out here for her job about 18 months ago.

Mrs. Rooster and I are hunkered down here in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of NW, DC. All the power-lines are underground in this neighborhood, so I'm hoping we don't lose power (we've almost never lost power -- maybe once at most (if that) -- since we moved here 18 months ago, despite several really bad storms over that time). We stocked up a bit at the grocery store first thing Sunday morning, and understand the shelves were pretty picked over by late in the day yesterday.

Supposed to be getting really bad by this evening, and all through the night. All we can do is wait and see.

The wife never told me anything about about hurricanes slamming into bizzards (to say nothing about the earthquake about a year ago) when we moved out here for her job about 18 months ago.

Mrs. Rooster and I are hunkered down here in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of NW, DC. All the power-lines are underground in this neighborhood, so I'm hoping we don't lose power (we've almost never lost power -- maybe once at most (if that) -- since we moved here 18 months ago, despite several really bad storms over that time). We stocked up a bit at the grocery store first thing Sunday morning, and understand the shelves were pretty picked over by late in the day yesterday.

Supposed to be getting really bad by this evening, and all through the night. All we can do is wait and see.

I guess I have to consider myself fortunate, though with a bit of "bummer" mixed in. I'd been scheduled for three weeks of work (income!) in New York beginning today. But my flight from the Left Coast was cancelled yesterday and now I'm looking at three weeks of unemployment. But, having been through a few natural disasters, I send my positive thoughts to people going through this.

We have heavy winds, some rain, and flooding in areas of NYC on to the water. The storm hasn't even really hit yet. I have outside power lines, so I hope they hold up as thet did during Irene. The tabloids here are calling it 'Frankenstorm'. I secured my backyard, tied my grill to the fence, put paving stones in the garbage cans, I got plenty of food, batteries for the flashlights and a gas stove, so I can cook and see. I may not be back to work until Wednesday, as the NYC subways are closed and won't BEGIN to reopen until about 12 hours after the storm has passed.

The winds have gotten stronger as the afternoon has progressed. The lights have flashed a few times and I imagine at some point this evening the power will go out. Hopefully not for too long a period of time he says crossing his fingers. The rain hasn't been too hard if there is one good thing to say. The Post Office closed shortly after 1 this afternoon and I was off the street by noon. At one point when I was still out on my route, I heard a tree crack off in distance and a woosh shortly afterwards. That was alittle scarey.

It is still very bad. I am on Long Island, NY. The retaining walls to hold back ocean's tides (a real oxymoron) on the south shore are 11 feet. High tide was 13.5 feet. The highest ever recorded. So many homes have water up to their front doors. I thnk it is time to move to Denver. That city is a mile above sea level.

1. Hurricane

2. Full moon

3. Global Warming.

Equals flooding.

It felt like it took me four days to get to work today! I live in Brooklyn but work in Jersey City, but the company I'm working at now has offices in Manhattan, so they let me work there today and tomorrow. With no subways, I took an express bus to Manhattan, and the traffic was horrible, it took me over two hours for a commute that should be about 50 minutes. The way home was a blast as well- I walked to the first stop of the express bus(about 12 blocks), figuring they'd get crowded, and I was right. I left the office at 5:00 and walked into my house at 7:45.

Power was restored to my whole block this morning. I'm on one end of the block, and I had power except for about 4-5 hours when ConEd cut it off to do repairs. About 3/4 of my block was without power, and last night I looked down the block and there were no cars coming, and it was total darkness, unusual in a city.

I hope the folks in NJ and Long Island get plenty of help, as they got slammed bad by Sandy. A friend of my wife's lives in Long Beach, LI, and she didn't evacuate. She now has no power and contaminated water and my wife can't reach her. The town had a beautiful boardwalk that is now underwater.

It felt like it took me four days to get to work today! I live in Brooklyn but work in Jersey City, but the company I'm working at now has offices in Manhattan, so they let me work there today and tomorrow. With no subways, I took an express bus to Manhattan, and the traffic was horrible, it took me over two hours for a commute that should be about 50 minutes. The way home was a blast as well- I walked to the first stop of the express bus(about 12 blocks), figuring they'd get crowded, and I was right. I left the office at 5:00 and walked into my house at 7:45.

Power was restored to my whole block this morning. I'm on one end of the block, and I had power except for about 4-5 hours when ConEd cut it off to do repairs. About 3/4 of my block was without power, and last night I looked down the block and there were no cars coming, and it was total darkness, unusual in a city.

I hope the folks in NJ and Long Island get plenty of help, as they got slammed bad by Sandy. A friend of my wife's lives in Long Beach, LI, and she didn't evacuate. She now has no power and contaminated water and my wife can't reach her. The town had a beautiful boardwalk that is now underwater.

I usually stay in Jersey City when I'm working in Manhattan. This time, no way. Sorry you have to make that trek, but glad you got power back.