Free jazz that is more serene than jarring

scoos_those_ blues

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly all of Andrew Hill's solo piano recordings -- the Select, and two or three other albums -- would seem to fit into this category, IMHO.

And Hill's piano-trio work too, come to think of it -- or a lot of it, anyway.

Including a few one-off "trio only" tracks from his various Blue Notes (63-66) where the horn(s) sat out, along with a handful of post-BN albums.

Also much of Smokesstack (with two bass players, and no horns), and Judgement! (no horns, piano trio plus Bobby Hutcherson) -- would qualify here.

Pretty much anything with or by Hill, without horns probably qualifies.

Nearly all of Andrew Hill's solo piano recordings -- the Select, and two or three other albums -- would seem to fit into this category, IMHO.

And Hill's piano-trio work too, come to think of it -- or a lot of it, anyway.

Including a few one-off "trio only" tracks from his various Blue Notes (63-66) where the horn(s) sat out, along with a handful of post-BN albums.

Also much of Smokesstack (with two bass players, and no horns), and Judgement! (no horns, piano trio plus Bobby Hutcherson) -- would qualify here.

Pretty much anything with or by Hill, without horns probably qualifies.[/quote

Hill period any period. I love the chaos he created in 65 espicially with compulsion

Compulsion is a weird one. Never been sure whether or not I "liked" it but it's an interesting date and I'm glad it was recorded/released. Andrew!!! is very fine.

I like Strange Serenade (w/ Silva & Waits) a lot, as well as the Steeplechase trio (the name of which I'm forgetting). And the ensemble set that Freedom put out is cool too.

The last time I listened to Compulsion! it kind of blew my mind. I didn't love it in the past but it sounded damn good. There was one little stretch that if heard in isolation could've easily passed as Brotzmann/Van Hove/Bennink ca. 1974. Much less cluttered and way more far out than I remembered.

yeah, that might be right - I doubt I've listened to it in the last 5-7 years.

(and I don't have Chuck or Larry's memory)

I havn't heard it in over 10 years but I do remember it being pretty out there.

I have a better memory for portions of shows from 12-15 years ago. They also come and go - having only heard the concerts once, the memories are vivid yet not detailed.

There you go!

He also "made" Mode for Joe". I remember this playing and Bill Dixon wanted to know who the drummer was.

Mode for Joe is an excellent record; much love for Joe Chambers here (with an admitted uncertainty, as I already expressed, about some of the 1964-1966 BN avant-garde dates). I think a weekend spin of Compulsion is in order.