Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hoping they may have a few advance copies at The Stone as I will be there on Thursday and Friday - to see the band(s) that played most of the music on the box set. Hard to go worng with 8 CD's that all have Hamid Drake as the drummer.

fwiw - the last disc is the Quartet augmented by Cooper-Moore (In Order to Survive) and the performance was SPECTACULAR - I am VERY excited to see they are releasing that concert.

Plus first set on Thursday is In Order to Survive

Looks worth it for the Bradford disc alone.

Let me tell you despite what I think about much or some of what William Parker plays and his limitations, the Quartet is wonderful and that performance last summer (2012) was one of the best sets of music I've heard over the past couple of years.

Let's hope this week is even better and it should be amazing to hear the Parker-Drake rhythm section in the little club.

Plus it is cool outside so I am all fired up for two great nights! Great to see that these recordings are being issued at the same time - I have to think not a coincidence.

Moderately keen for that William Parker box. It's a reasonable price, i have a real soft spot for the Raining On The Moon group (Eri Yamamoto is highly under-celebrated IMO). Also haven't listened to much William Parker for a while and i do feel the beginnings of an urge for a bender coming on. Immersing myself in a whole bunch of new William Parker kind of appeals to me at the moment. Wouldn't mind seeing what the box set looks like; i'm guessing it will be cardboard sleeves housed in a larger cardboard sleeve, which is not ideal but i can live with it.

Just as a side note i had to do a double take at that Keefe Jackson A Round Goal cover... looks remarkebly like Matt Bauder in that photo!

William Parker box set of live and unissued material on AUM coming out real soon:

http://www.aumfidelity.com/home.htm

Looks interesting...thankfully, only one with Leena Conquest....and Hamid Drake is on all of them. For me, in the last decade it's only when he's with Drake...he's not in what I call the....I am William Parker mode. Drake makes him really play.

P.S. Just noticed Ernie Odoom is involved. Really didn't like him on Essence of Ellington.

Edited by Blue Train

Thought my comment on Drake makes him have to play to be self-explanatory. Yes, he's earned it to an extent....but now I think for me....that he goes through the motions too much and lives off the that acclaim....unless someone like Drake, or similar is pushing him.

P.S. The "I am William Parker" thing was also one of the things behind the whole Susie Ibarra Clusterfuck. Another of those that made him have to get out of that mode.

Edited by Blue Train

Like Blakey did for Monk? <_<

I have no knowledge of the clusterfuck you are referring to. Artists can be dicks. It happens.

1. Not wasting time on that.

2. "It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered."

- Aeschylus

aka the Clusterfuck which was a result of envy. I went into the details in one of the Mathew Shipp threads.

Edited by Blue Train

I have no knowledge of the clusterfuck you are referring to. Artists can be dicks. It happens.

2. "It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered."

- Aeschylus

aka the Clusterfuck which was a result of envy. I went into the details in one of the Mathew Shipp threads.

1. Of course you wouldn't.

2. Reading the links was interesting. Thanks.

Tonight: In order to Survive and then Raining on the Moon band

They better have a box set ready for me.......

Someone maybe can set me straight, but when I hear Parker playing walking bass I have a few questions. Am I alone?

Yes. He is no Fred Hopkins, that is for sure. Sometimes it takes a while for his groove to take place. With Hamid they always find new grooves

Someone maybe can set me straight, but when I hear Parker playing walking bass I have a few questions. Am I alone?

Yes. He is no Fred Hopkins, that is for sure. Sometimes it takes a while for his groove to take place. With Hamid they always find new grooves

Tonight: In order to Survive and then Raining on the Moon band

They better have a box set ready for me.......

That's a cool line up, from the intense to the slightly more chilled out (actually on second thoughts ROTM can still be intense in it's own way).

I seem to come across a lot of people taking jabs at William Parker lately, which is fine i guess. Sometimes i'm bored by his music but i like a lot of it, love some of it. Maybe i'm not the most critical listener but i've never noticed anything 'bad' about his playing, walking or other. For me he's a good example of an artist that arguably may not be Percy Heath when it comes to walking bass lines but can create truly compelling music nevertheless.

- Aeschylus

1. Didn't wast time because I don't think Monk went through the motions like Parker does. I also don't think Parker is in the same level as Monk. I guess you think differently. As in, it just came across as baiting as a response.

2. You're welcome.

Edited by Blue Train

- Aeschylus

1. Didn't wast time because I don't think Monk went through the motions like Parker does. I also don't think Parker is in the same level as Monk. I guess you think differently. As in, it just came across as baiting as a response.

2. You're welcome.

Last year In Order to Survive was spectacular and I am imagining that an hour from now it will be anything but rote

Btw they have the box set here and It's mine in a few minutes

Plus I have a seat 5 feet from Hamid's bass drum

Life is beautiful