Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

Anyone who's a fan of Mary Halvorson's stuff over the last few years will probably like her new album. It's kind of more of the same -- not a bad thing in my opinion. I've had it for a couple days now and I'm really enjoying it. She's definitely one of my favorites these days.

This finally arrived in the mail yesterday, have given it a few spins. I really like it. Definitely not a huge departure but i do hear the progression. On early listens, Garchik & Laubrock fit in to the ensemble nicely but don't make a huge impact on the groups sound (probably weren't intended to). I can't see fans being disappointed with this.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone who's a fan of Mary Halvorson's stuff over the last few years will probably like her new album. It's kind of more of the same -- not a bad thing in my opinion. I've had it for a couple days now and I'm really enjoying it. She's definitely one of my favorites these days.

This finally arrived in the mail yesterday, have given it a few spins. I really like it. Definitely not a huge departure but i do hear the progression. On early listens, Garchik & Laubrock fit in to the ensemble nicely but don't make a huge impact on the groups sound (probably weren't intended to). I can't see fans being disappointed with this.

Yes - very nice IMO.

Harris Eisenstadt - Golden State

Featuring Mark Dresser, Nicole Mitchell & Sara Schoenbeck.

This is now available to be ordered directly from Eisenstadt's website, will be available via Amazon in October.

The instrumentation of drums, bass, flute and bassoon sounds quite refreshing; really looking froward to this.

http://www.harriseisenstadt.com/albums/harris-eisenstadt/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BbIxpKxj90

The latest batch from No Business:

-Elton Dean/Paul Dunmall/Paul Rogers/Tony Bianco - Rememberance

-Fabric Trio — Murmurs

-Adam Lane/Darius Jones/Vijay Anderson — Absolute Horizon

-Howard Riley - Live with Repertoire

-Red Trio - Rebento

-John Tchicai/Cecil McBee/Garrison Fewell/Charlie K — Tribal Ghost

This is now available to be ordered directly from Eisenstadt's website, will be available via Amazon in October.

The instrumentation of drums, bass, flute and bassoon sounds quite refreshing; really looking froward to this.

this sounds great. Eisenstadt's always interesting to me even if I don't warm to all of his ventures.

this sounds great. Eisenstadt's always interesting to me even if I don't warm to all of his ventures.

I've greatly enjoyed what I've heard so far. Strong writing full of melody yet sounding modern and devoid of post bop droning. I picked up a few in the Cleanfeed sale which helped drawn me in. This new one looks promising but I'm meant to be reducing what I buy so we'll see.

For me, Harris Eisenstadt is one of the rare cats that i follow to the point that if it's got his name as the leader i'm pretty much getting it (unless it looks particularly unappealing, but that's yet to happen. Or if it's not available on CD). The only leader album from him i've less than loved over the last five years or so was the first September Trio album. Everything else has totally engaged me. Funnily enough when the promo video for Golden State was first released at the beginning of the year i actually did think it was something that i might skip. Totally in the mood for it now.

-Fabric Trio — Murmurs

-Red Trio - Rebento

I'm pretty keen for that Adam Lane Trio album...

-Fabric Trio — Murmurs

-Red Trio - Rebento

Unfortunately the two I'm interested in are only available in vinyl...ah, well.

-Fabric Trio — Murmurs

-Red Trio - Rebento

Unfortunately the two I'm interested in are only available in vinyl...ah, well.

Regrettably I've mixed feelings re NoBusiness vinyl , I've 5 and none sound especially good ( sound quality ) . Interesting performances yes, audiophile dream no.

A copy of Mad Dogs arrived today, package intact and discs firmly situated on their respective hubs. Barry Guy is always up to something virtuosic, different, and worth hearing. I could recommend a bunch of recordings in a similar vein just as good but anyone who picked this up probably already has them.

Two nice looking new arrivals at JazzLoft:

-Dennis Gonzalez - Yells at Eels: Colorado at Clintoin (Ayler)

-Peter Evans/Evan Parker/Craig Taborn/Sam Pluta - Rocket Science (More is More)

interesting indeed. I've not caught up with Yells for a few releases. I'm a big fan of Gonzalez but less so of that band.

I'd like to hear the Evans/Parker as maybe it'll be the one where I finally 'get' Evans who I find is someone who's undoubted technique gets in the way of my enjoyment of most of what I've already heard (exception the live MOPDTK)

If anyone's interested, I just noticed that my first solo piano effort, Song Singular, is now up for preorder at the label's website...you can also stream it there, to see whether (or not) it's any good... :)

Thanks for the tip off, count me in as interested. Any solo gigs to promote it planned?

also, how imminent is the next AH Ensemble disc?

As a recent convert, I'm looking forward to Mary Halvorson's upcoming release:

51gXZjxol3L.jpg

Mary Halvorson Septet - Illusionary Sea (Firehouse 12)

Mary Halvorson, guitar; Jonathan Finlayson, trumpet; Jacob Garchik, trombone;

Jon Irabagon, alto sax; Ingrid Laubrock, tenor sax; John Hébert, bass; Ches Smith, drums.

Today's the official release date.

Two listens in and I think this is just great. The enhanced band brings a real depth to the sound which really works for me. It's definitely a development from the quintet albums with some interesting writing for the bigger band with a brassier overall sound. Maybe some may feel it's trading spikiness for melody but I simply hear good writing, great playing and an interesting step forward for Ms Halvorson. This is going to played a lot