Ed Blackwell

Milestones

I have always enjoyed Ed Blackwell. I loved his work with Ornette, though I also loved Billy Higgins--and then I found that Higgins played with everyone. Blackwell had considerably less visibility. I recently heard him on an early Don Cherry record, and then there's his work with Old and New Dreams (in effect, an Ornette alumni band). I know he played with Randy Weston, one of my all time favorite artists; but there seems no trace of them recording together. Late in life he appeared with Joe Lovano, Jay Hoggard, Ray Anderson, and some others--all good records made even better by his fine drumming.

Please talk about your favorites.

Ed Blackwell was a unique, vitalizing drummer.

The Ornette Coleman albums from the early 60s were my discoveries of his talent. The Eric Dophy at the Five Spot were confirmations (still my favorite albums with Blackwell), then the duo sides with Don Cherry on Actuel-Byg. So many more...

Heard him live with Don Cherry on a couple of occasions.

Edited by brownie

always loved his colaboration with Mal Waldron

Soul Note (It) SN 1118 Mal Waldron - The Git-Go: Live At The Village Vanguard

Soul Note (It) SN 1148 Mal Waldron - The Seagulls Of Kristiansund

Both of these plus Waldron`s remaining Soulnote output can be found rather cheaply on subject 4CD Box-Set ;-)

http://www.amazon.de/Quintets-Waldron-Mal/dp/B0065HDLJE/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355823511&sr=1-2

The trio albums with the same rhythm section as the above (Waldron, Workman, Blackwell) are also very good indeed: Breaking New Ground and You and the Night and the Music. I downloaded the former from emusic a couple of years ago and just picked up an LP of the latter. Breaking New Ground includes a Michael Jackson cover (!) and You and the Night is mostly standards. It has Reggie and Ed well forward in the mix, and it's wonderful to hear the trio as a TRIO rather than piano + bass and drums. The interaction between the three is very special and very intense. Ethan Iverson refers to them admiringly as the "Mal Waldron Evil Trio". They also recorded an LP of Satie covers (sic) which I would be intrigued to hear at least once... Ed was a master and always brought something special to the music-making. I love his work on Don Cherry's Complete Communion as well. I only heard him live once, in the Ornette Quartet with Dewey and Charlie Haden at Princes Street, back in the early 70s, a real treat.

More greatness from Ed and Dewey (in a trio with Cameron Brown)...

WallsBridges.jpg

The Waldron collaborations are also fine, as mentioned... but it bear remembering that this partnership goes all the way back to the Dolphy / Little band Five Spot recordings of 1961.

The recently issued duets with Wadada Leo Smith are excellent, too, and make for an fascinating comparison with the many Cherry collaborations.

51%2BURXmN77L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finally, a word for some of the earliest Blackwell on record, from his days as one of NO's pioneering modernists...

Boogie+Live1958+feat+American+Jazz+Quintet+2.jpg

This same group (I believe) also recorded a "reunion" date for Black Saint in the late 80s, FROM BAD TO BADDER.

Edited by Joe

Finally, a word for some of the earliest Blackwell on record, from his days as one of NO's pioneering modernists...

Boogie+Live1958+feat+American+Jazz+Quintet+2.jpg

This same group (I believe) also recorded a "reunion" date for Black Saint in the late 80s, FROM BAD TO BADDER.

I was going to mention Blackwell's work with the pioneering New Orleans modernist group The American Jazz Quintet. This is another good one - studio recordings for AFO:

1521319.jpg

And yes, From Bad to Badder is a reunion, with Earl Turbinton added:

americanjazzbadncd.jpg

It was recorded in Atlanta in 1987 at a three-day Ed Blackwell Festival, which also produced Old and New Dreams Tribute to Blackwell album. The highlight was a performance by the Ornette Coleman Quartet with Cherry, Haden and Blackwell.

for me the best Ed Blackwell recordings are the later ones - number one being Joe Lovano's 'From the Soul' from 1992

also great is 'Sounds of Joy' with Lovano andf Anthony Cos from maybe 1990

of the older records, the fulcrum has to be the legendary Five Spot recordings from 1961 with that one in a million band.