True Blue Music Closing

BeBop

True Blue Music is closing down on December 30, 2012. We want to thank all of you who have supported True Blue Music and chosen it as your jazz shopping site for the past 20 years. The dramatic reduction in the release of physical jazz titles and other factors have contributed to our decision to shut down this division of Mosaic Records. For the next week, we are offering drastic discounts on our remaining inventory

Ironically, they kind of ceased to make sense when they abandoned the print catalogue and expanded their inventory online. The catalogue was a wonderfully curated thing and turned me on to many fine recordings.

I'm with you there--loved those print catalogues, and like you, often found some interesting things there.

gregmo

I didn't want to editorialize in my initial post, but I never did find anything worth buying at True Blue, at least at the prices they set (including sales). Nowadays, I don't buy at all, so the sale and future are not of much interest.

On the other hand, it's sad to see any physical-music retailer disappear, Choice.

The part that never really made sense to me was why they couldn't/didn't work out a deal to buy the stuff for less from EMI. I'm willing to pay Mosaic premium price for a premium product, but this isn't that (especially the shipping costs, yeesh). I sent them an email around 2002 about why the discs were expensive relative to other stores and got a response, maybe from Cuscuna himself, that they couldn't sell the stuff for any less because of their costs. You may not own the material, but you're a bigshot producer, you have extensive ties to EMI, AND you have a much more fanatical customer base than the average store. That doesn't give you any pull with EMI at least in working out a better wholesale deal?

If the whole idea was to simply make a few more bucks off of non-price-conscious buyers on impulse buys to go with their Mosaic boxes, then the strategy makes sense I guess. But still...I would have sold the things as loss leaders if it got people to buy more Mosaic boxes...

They sometimes had very hard-to-find titles from other countries, like Brazil. In those cases, it seemed worth it to buy (occasionally), but I didn't buy any US releases from them.

I am sad to see them go, for reasons others have expressed - it's so hard for small retailers of music and books to make a go of it now, and I feel for them. (Being a former music and book retail employee myself.)

My favorite record store - Melody, in D.C. - closed early this year. Truly the end of an era.