This new quote system just plain does not work.

Tim McG

A concern: This new quote system is placing my remarks inside the quoted work of the poster. I tried to quote then put my remarks after the quote five times on a previous post and it still places my words inside the quoted remarks.

Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

Seriously, Moderator guys...this new system just plain sucks. What on Earth possessed you to change to this completely unusable monstrosity?

Yours truly,

A disgruntaled user

Um...just sayin'.

What browser are you using? It works perfect for me. When you hit "quote", the quote appears in the reply box and you either post before or after it.

The quote system changed with the recent upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 of the forum software. I like to keep the forum software up to date because of security concerns which can affect the entire server, not just this domain.

I'm currently using IE 10 with Windows 7. I used Firefox before, but after one of its updates was (automatically) installed it didn't properly display some sites anymore, which is why I switched back to IE.

Edited by J.A.W.

I started a thread about this recently, and got some tips:

Breaking quoted material up into multiple parts (to respond to separately) is what I struggle with. It doesn't work consistently for me, which is odd.

I wouldn't know how to break up quotes either. You've got a point there.

[edit]

Ubu's solution in the linked post for breaking up quotes seems to do the trick: press "quote", then press the button at the top left-hand corner and when you're done, just hit the button again and press "post" or, in case of an edit, "save changes" below.

Edited by J.A.W.

Ubu's solution in the linked post for breaking up quotes seems to do the trick: press "quote", then press the button at the top left-hand corner and when you're done, just hit the button again and press "post" or, in case of an edit, "save changes" below.

Being too lazy to think hard about any such shortcuts, even with the old system I used the following purely "mechanical" method to break up quotes when I wanted to reply directly but separately to several sentences in a lengthy quote:

I open the same topic a second time in another window of my browser, access the "quote and reply" feature by clicking on "Quote", then I mark the quote in its entirety with my cursor (including one line above and one after the quote to make sure the entire quote is marked) and copy it to my original reply post with Ctrl-C and then Ctrl-V.

You can even copy the quote directly in the post you have accessed via "Quote" to reply to a quote (so no need toopen the topic in a second window to access the quote). But IF you open the topic a second window this allows you to reply to quotes from several different previous posts in one go by copying the previous quotes into your reply post.

This I can do as often as I like and then have the quote more than once in my post and can now delete unwanted sections from each of the copied quotes and reply to what's left of the quote directly underneath the respective quote.

Like this:

Here I could now comment on whether king ubu's method is indeed clever. ;)

I wouldn't know how to break up quotes either. You've got a point there.

And here I could state that I have no idea how to handle this either. :)

Not the most elegant way but it works each time.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

A concern: This new quote system is placing my remarks inside the quoted work of the poster just fine. I tried to quote then put my remarks after the quote five times on a previous post and it still places my words inside the quoted remarks every time it worked great.

Seriously, Moderator guys...this new system is just plain great. What on Earth stopped you ffrom ditching the completely unusable monstrosity we had before much sooner?

Yours truly,

A happy bunny

Um...just sayin'.

Works fine for me too

A concern: This new quote system is placing my remarks inside the quoted work of the poster. I tried to quote then put my remarks after the quote five times on a previous post and it still places my words inside the quoted remarks.

Seriously, Moderator guys...this new system just plain sucks. What on Earth possessed you to change to this completely unusable monstrosity?

Yours truly,

A disgruntaled user

Um...just sayin'.

Works fine for me on Safari...

Works fine on Opera (V. 12), MSIE (no idea what version is on my work computer) and Firefox (V. 19).

No idea what all the screaming really is about.

Also, one point that might help: you can switch between text only and html by hitting this button on top left of the area with all the buttons displayed on top of the post you're writing:

org-quote_zpsf425efbd.jpg

If you hit that, you'll just have the text and you'll see the [ quote ] [ / quote ] displayed ... might be easier to figure things out that way. You can switch back by hitting that button again and will see if your editing worked out alright.

As Mr. Ayers stated in some other thread where all this was previously discussed (in good ol' Org tradition, it was off-topic there ;)), you can also just go into the boxes, hit the enter button and quotes are split up:

No

Yes

Yours truly,

A disgruntaled user

Sure seems so.

Um...just sayin'.

I hear what you're sayin'

Works fine for me on Safari...

Now what I don't know is why the size of the text get's supersized in some of these lines I added ... the board does that automatically, but I guess I could manually change it again, but then that's really not worth it, is it?

This is a very contentious issue on the Invision Community Forums and has been since the new version was released in November of last year. I waited as long as I could to upgrade but I felt I had to pull the trigger due to some serious security issues in the old version (3.3) that worried me. We get a TON of spambots attacking our server constantly. If they get in through holes in this software, it could (and has) wreak havoc on this and other important sites on the server.

The developers are promising an easier system in the next update. We'll see. At first it didn't work for me consistently either but after deleting my cookies and rebooting my computer (something I hardly ever do these days), it works flawlessly now.

Also, one point that might help: you can switch between text only and html by hitting this button on top left of the area with all the buttons displayed on top of the post you're writing:

org-quote_zpsf425efbd.jpg

If you hit that, you'll just have the text and you'll see the [ quote ] [ / quote ] displayed ... might be easier to figure things out that way. You can switch back by hitting that button again and will see if your editing worked out alright.

This hint is REALLY USEFUL! Thanks UBU - you'se da effin KING!

MG

Yours truly,

A disgruntaled userUm...just sayin'.

I'd demand my money back!!!

As Mr. Ayers stated in some other thread where all this was previously discussed (in good ol' Org tradition, it was off-topic there ;))

The "some other thread", which I started, was linked above (my post #9). He was on-topic.

Oops, sorry - this whole thing was discussed in several thread, I lost track!

I had the same problem (note that I post from either a cell phone or public library terminal-I'm saving up for smoke signals..) As someone said: if you enter your text OUTSIDE THE BOX of what is being quoted you should be fine.

Yep, it's all about thinking outside of the box :)