Auction of Free Jazz collection on ebay

Head Man

Yes, I wondered about that too. There's a least a couple where the current bid is beyond the Discogs price that you see quite regularly. I think it's interesting how the auction psychology works against folk checking prices from other sources,

Still, wouldn't mind owning a fair few of these - lottery win pending ;)

Agreed Clifford; a friend of mine once owned a mint copy of that "Heliopolis" album and made me an audiophile grade CD of it and I was quite underwhelmed. This was well over 10 years ago and once every few years I'll dig up that CD to make sure I did not miss anything and each time my assessment remains the same...a cool artifact yes but rather lackluster music.

Beware some of those Japanese titles in this auction are reissues...namely "independence" by Takayanagi and "we now create" by Togashi.

Agreed Clifford; a friend of mine once owned a mint copy of that "Heliopolis" album and made me an audiophile grade CD of it and I was quite underwhelmed. This was well over 10 years ago and once every few years I'll dig up that CD to make sure I did not miss anything and each time my assessment remains the same...a cool artifact yes but rather lackluster music.

Beware some of those Japanese titles in this auction are reissues...namely "independence" by Takayanagi and "we now create" by Togashi.

Yeah, the Heliopolis looks really cool but it's pretty boring. I'd buy a CD reissue just to have it around but it's not worth keeping a lackluster $500 album!

Indeed, IIRC even with a green label, the original of that Togashi is with a gatefold.

I've never had good luck on the Blake, always get outbid, so put in a semi-serious bid fully expecting to get outbid at the end, but didn't. One guy went up to 40. My bid was 41. Guess I shoulda put in a max of 39.99!

Oh well, I overpaid. I'm glad to have it at last. sometimes "good luck" just means being willing to overpay. Preparation meeting opportunity, as it was. Seems like bad luck to me, but..whatever gets it, I guess.

Hopefully The Blue Potato will not be so resistant to sanity the next time it comes along. That's another one that has yet to like my bids and might need to be money-whipped into surrender...

I've never found Blue Potato to be a stretch. I got mine for about $8. Just a matter of it showing up.

I've been pretty focused on my complete Ran Blake collection lately and have most of the rarer/pricier ones out of the way (the two Horos, the ESP, Blue Potato). I'm about to go to the mats on both volumes of Painted Rhythms. The private press Take 1 & Take 2 LPs are the real tough cookies.

As far as the whole shebang of 40ish titles, I'm a bit over half way.