FS: Hank Mobley The Complete Blue Note Fifties Sessions Mosaic MD6 181

Reduced in price from $115 to $80. Flat rate shipping inside US is $5.05. Box is worn from shelf wear, disc 1 has a minor small scratch that does not affect play and disc 5 has a scratch that does not affect play. All other discs and booklet are mint. This is set 1904 out of 7500

Edited by CJ Shearn

Thanks for looking everyone. I think I'm going to hang onto this one as it may lead to regret for not having quite a few of the albums once this thing is gone for good. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone. I gave it a lot of thought before putting the listing up and after, thanks for looking. :)

I have other non music related items I can part with that I'm selling now, I moved recently. The music stuff is hard to part with. $80 bucks for a temporary fund, vs. living with the music another several decades, the having the music wins out. There are other sessions in the box still not available, at least not legit.

I don't understand why everybody didn't jump on this set when it came out. Wonderful music.

Well, amazingly it's still in print, so this isn't a case where the grasshoppers are that much worse off than the ants (other than not listening to the music in the interim of course).

I don't understand why everybody didn't jump on this set when it came out. Wonderful music.

I wonder whether there were other Mobley fans like me who'd managed to track down most of his Blue Note's before this set was released. The few that I didn't have became available pretty widely soon after. Still, I don't have the Mosaic booklet....perhaps It's worth it for that?

. Still, I don't have the Mosaic booklet....perhaps It's worth it for that?

The booklet has informative notes by Bob Blumenthal. It also includes a couple of dozen excellent photos from Francis Wolff that you don't see elsewhere.

. Still, I don't have the Mosaic booklet....perhaps It's worth it for that?

The booklet has informative notes by Bob Blumenthal. It also includes a couple of dozen excellent photos from Francis Wolff that you don't see elsewhere.

Doh!....................I remember I got a copy of the booklet from Mosaic way back when....and, yes, it is nicely done. My memory!!!!!!

Good for me it's still available. I used to be more into 50s hardbop during the nineties/early 2000s than lately, so I've neglected to pick this up so far. I must perhaps give it priority on ze list. :smirk:

This is clearly an above average hard-bop set, at least in my opinion. Get it! :)

HM BN was my first Mosaic

Pretty sure it was mine as well. It is an amazing set.

I would have been in the market for the Andrew Hill but it had sold out (or did it time out?) right before I became aware of Mosaic. Over the years, I did have a chance now and then to get this set (and the McLean) but by that point I had gotten some of the individual releases and eventually got all of them as they were reissued. I am not sorry to have the music that way. In fact, it is fairly likely that I do listen to it more on individual CDs than I would in a big box set.

I'm glad I decided to hold on to this. What I always found odd etherbored is the what sounds like artificial reverb added to the "Hank Mobley Quartet" session which sounds so different the usual spring reverb RVG was using. Is that present on the TOCJ?

... What I always found odd etherbored is the what sounds like artificial reverb added to the "Hank Mobley Quartet" session which sounds so different the usual spring reverb RVG was using. Is that present on the TOCJ?

I have the Mosaic box as well as a Japanese CD (CJ28-5128) released in 1990, IIRC. Both have that reverb. Van Gelder used to add this during the mastering to sweeten the dry sound of his parents' living room, AFAIK. If you listen closely you will find it is not present on the two alternate takes, I can clearly hear the difference in the opening piano passages on both takes of "Walkin' The Fence". The alternates are "dry".

Edited by mikeweil