Bethlehem label being reissued in US

romualdo

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i prefer 'this time....' to 'grand stan'.

I am playing "This time ..." just now. Wonderful.

Dex really makes that record. The arrangements are great, the other playing masterful, but Dex propels the date to another level.

Agreed! (Though I've got the old Avenue Jazz/Rhino reissue, good enough for me)

I'm glad it's available to listen to! I haven't spun my copy yet. Have listened to a half a dozen other titles from this batch and I think they all sound great.

I agree. Nice remastering for these series.

These Japanese CDSOLs are the loudest jazz remasters currently being released. It's just too much for me (East Coasting). I regret having spent the money I did.

Edited by erwbol

They are loud (I've encountered a few louder). They work for me in my system though, and the sonic experience can be amazing. (I don't use headphones, I probably couldn't handle these on headphones, but I just don't do headphones).

Listened to the Herbie Harper this morning.

Listening to Aaron Sachs Quintette on my home system and it sounds good. The sound is a bit beefier than Bethlehems' often sound but that's not so bad as these recordings lacked vigour and were pretty sleepy judging by vinyl editions I have. The only one ( of these recent Japanese issues) I've slight concerns about is Stu Williamson's self titled CD, which sounds forced. I don't know any other version so it could be down to the recording.

Hope the Hank d'Amico CD from that reissue batch that I bought in the very first days of March from that Japanese eBay seller mildly recommended somewhere here will eventually show up ...

Not that I would really expect to receive a reply to my mail written to inquire about the shipping status (I guess their item descriptions are pre-texted somewhere so do not necessairly reflect on their ad hoc knowledge of fluent English communication) but it's a bit discomforting to experience what other buyers leaving negative ratings have had to say about this non-communication - yet I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I haven't been burnt ...

I found one of the Sam Most discs on Amazon. Anybody know where one can find the others? Dusty Groove lists them as due some day.

gregmo

http://stores.ebay.com/MAXIMUM-RARE-RECORDS-AND-CDs-JAPAN/_i.html?_nkw=sam+most&submit=Search&_sid=59452746

reliable source, factory sealed product, payment via paypal, shipment takes 2 weeks +

This is the one I used for my Hank d'Amico CD purchase. Nothing in sight after 3 weeks - so far, so good, there still ought to be some margin, but I find their persistent silence to my (politely worded) inquires a bit irritating. They were MUCH faster in accepting my payment. ;)

But in the meantime I'll take your word for it. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Hope the Hank d'Amico CD from that reissue batch that I bought in the very first days of March from that Japanese eBay seller mildly recommended somewhere here will eventually show up ...

Not that I would really expect to receive a reply to my mail written to inquire about the shipping status (I guess their item descriptions are pre-texted somewhere so do not necessairly reflect on their ad hoc knowledge of fluent English communication) but it's a bit discomforting to experience what other buyers leaving negative ratings have had to say about this non-communication - yet I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I haven't been burnt ...

in case this is the seller -

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ftfym65

- that`s the one I just linked to Greg M.

I´ve ordered a couple CD`s from him via Ebay recently (the only communication was the update via Ebay about the CD`s shipment) and the goods made it within 2-21/2 weeks to Europe......securely packed parcel`s and factory sealed cd`s.

They were MUCH faster in accepting my payment. ;)

They ALL do ;-)..........really hope your order makes it in due course though....also alternate sources (i.e smaller dealers) in Japan/Taiwan are processing rather slowly. In case using sources like HMV.jp or CDJapan you have to pay a hefty postage uptick to have it with within a couple of days.(still it takes additional 2-3 working days before they send it....)

Edited by soulpope

I´ve ordered a couple CD`s from him via Ebay recently (the only communication was the update via Ebay about the CD`s shipment) and the goods made it within 2-21/2 weeks to Europe......securely packed parcel`s and factory sealed cd`s.

It IS this seller ... (see above)

But now you got me really worried. I have checked my mails again but since receiving an automatic Auctiva purchase confirmation and my payment confirmation from Paypal (I paid immediately after making my purchase) I have not received ANY shipping information from whomever ... And 3 weeks since my payment have passed.

It IS this seller ... (see above)

But now you got me really worried. I have checked my mails again but since receiving an automatic Auctiva purchase confirmation and my payment confirmation from Paypal (I paid immediately after making my purchase) I have not received ANY shipping information from whomever ... And 3 weeks since my payment have passed.

to calm you down.......regarding my last two items (ordered the same day individually) i received a ebay notification reg one item, wondered about the second item (didn`t hear a word....) and received two days ago BOTH items in ONE parcel....

again there are alternatives reg other sellers, but this guy has all Sam Most (within reach) Greg M. was interested in.....

Edited by soulpope

I didn't realize until learning about this reissue series from this thread that Art Blakey's Big Band on Bethlehem even existed. I found Coltrane's The Bethlehem Years, which includes the Blakey date and Winner's Circle, for $5 at a shop today. :tup

Good score!

Winner's Circle is one I like a lot.

Indeed. I played Winners Circle last night (the previous mini lp series) - really a very nice record; as a consequence I preordered this 2cd Coltrane set to be released on the 12th of March '14 (of course I could have get just the Art Blakey Big Band released last year but it was not available from cdjapan, so... - I ll check the mastering differences of the Winners CD for the forum's benefit...) along with two more Bethlehem titles to be released that date (Stan Levey/Plays the compositions, and the Terry Pollard ones); a very productive ordering session last night thanks to this forum :tup , with some tiltles from the Sony reissues (Garner Paris, Willen x 2 , Duke suites, Ornette, Woods x 2, Louis at Town Hall, Parker Birdland), Prestige 7000 (Sonny Criss Kaleidoscope, Teddy Charles collaboration West, James Moody x 3), Atlantic (Teddy Charles Bird).

I just received the 2-cd japanese set of "John Coltrane - Turning Point - The Bethlehem Years" (CDSOL-6155, 12/03/2014). It includes 46 tracks and is an extended "Art Blakey Big Band" release:

3 x Midriff, 8 x Aint Life Grand, 2 x El Toro Valiente, 5 x The kiss of no return, 8 x The Outer World, 4 X Oasis, 7 x Tippin and 7 x Pristine.

Actually all these tracks are from the "Art Blakey Big Band" Bethlehem LP, with "Late Date" missing from the 2-cd set. Do you happen to know the reason? Perhaps Coltrane does not play in this particular track?

Also, none of the Winner's Circle LP tracks are included in the 2-Cd set.

Edited by Alexandros

I don't have the answer to those questions. . . I skipped this one because I have the US and the TOCJ two cd sets and the Solid "Big Band" cds and the Big Band date is not that much of a favorite for me to go for yet another version. I haven't listened to any of the alternates in years.

i felt that way after i acquired about 15-20 bethlehem titles in a prior reissue series. they all sounded so tired, dated, and generic to me at the time. since them i'm certainly glad i didn't liquidate a single one. not only have they aged well, but i find myself returning to them time and time again. not because they're musically revolutionary or break new ground by any means. i find the material, straight and workmanlike as it is, incredible infectious in an audio verite fashion. almost without fail each side finds the cast of the label, sometimes in unique pairings, playing their hearts out, warts and all. the whole of the catalog is compact and easy to get a handle on (i.e. they certainly didn't release anything even approaching the numbers of other labels) and i find coming back to it whenever the mood strikes very refreshing - a nice antidote to higher profile labels and players. the terry pollard set reflects those values and ideals perfectly. will your jaw drop in admiration over the playing? unlikely. however, the spirit of the whole thing. you can hear it - and i think you can feel it, too. that's what bethlehem is all about to me.

I didn't realize until learning about this reissue series from this thread that Art Blakey's Big Band on Bethlehem even existed. I found Coltrane's The Bethlehem Years, which includes the Blakey date and Winner's Circle, for $5 at a shop today. :tup

Good score!

Winner's Circle is one I like a lot.

Indeed. I played Winners Circle last night (the previous mini lp series) - really a very nice record; as a consequence I preordered this 2cd Coltrane set to be released on the 12th of March '14 (of course I could have get just the Art Blakey Big Band released last year but it was not available from cdjapan, so... - I ll check the mastering differences of the Winners CD for the forum's benefit...) along with two more Bethlehem titles to be released that date (Stan Levey/Plays the compositions, and the Terry Pollard ones); a very productive ordering session last night thanks to this forum :tup , with some tiltles from the Sony reissues (Garner Paris, Willen x 2 , Duke suites, Ornette, Woods x 2, Louis at Town Hall, Parker Birdland), Prestige 7000 (Sonny Criss Kaleidoscope, Teddy Charles collaboration West, James Moody x 3), Atlantic (Teddy Charles Bird).

I just received the 2-cd japanese set of "John Coltrane - Turning Point - The Bethlehem Years" (CDSOL-6155, 12/03/2014). It includes 46 tracks and is an extended "Art Blakey Big Band" release:

3 x Midriff, 8 x Aint Life Grand, 2 x El Toro Valiente, 5 x The kiss of no return, 8 x The Outer World, 4 X Oasis, 7 x Tippin and 7 x Pristine.

Actually all these tracks are from the "Art Blakey Big Band" Bethlehem LP, with "Late Date" missing from the 2-cd set. Do you happen to know the reason? Perhaps Coltrane does not play in this particular track?

Also, none of the Winner's Circle LP tracks are included in the 2-Cd set.

I like my recently acquired The Bethlehem Years and it drives part of me crazy to think that it now has been made obsolete by a more extensive reissue. However, another part of me thinks that 7 or 8 takes of the same tune may very well be too much of a good thing.