quiet, but busy or harmonically complex guitar trio dates (or similar)

Rooster_Ties

I listen to music a lot at work -- but I can't really use headphones where I'm at -- so I'm pretty limited to piano trios and guitar trios (and the like), and also classical chamber music (symphonic stuff has too much dynamic range). I have my own (big) semi-private office, but it's sometimes a high-traffic area too (and at totally random times, without warning) -- as folks often pass through from my office to the "big" boss's office, or to a shared fridge/microwave area 20 feet from my desk.

One date I've discovered that's REALLY great to work to is "Question & Answer" with Pat Metheny, Dave Holland, and Roy Haynes. (I've listened to that disc more in the last 2 months than probably the last 10 years -- and I thought I really liked it before).

So, I'm looking for suggestions for other dates similar to "Question & Answer" -- not necessarily with Metheny (any guitar-player, any era is fine) -- but STUDIO dates (or live dates with minimal or low-volume applause) with guitar at the center -- but either no horns -- or horns that come off as understated (and "Gil Evans"-esque) like those on Herbie Hancock's "Speak Like a Child" or Jonh Scofield's "Quiet".

Basically, guitar trio albums (or anything similar) that are as harmonically interesting and/or as fast and "busy" and "Question and Answer"? Dates with piano are fine, but I'm a little apprehensive about organ trio dates, as the "soaring" quality of the B3 is a sound I don't think I could get away with at work (with so many others around). But if there are any organ-trio things that are fast and busy, and/or harmonically interesting -- but which don't come off as being as "wildly energetic" as most soul-jazz dates, I'd be open to those as well (as if any such animal exists).

Thanks!! -- Rooster

PS: The great thing about "Question and Answer" is that I can have it on at low volume, and there's a TON of stuff going on in it (all the time). But unless I turn it up, people simple don't notice it -- other than the drums now and then.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Try that Don Freidman Prestige date w/Atilla Zoller, Richard Davis, & Joe Chambers

Definitely!!! -- I actually have all the Freidman Prestige dates now (including both Metamorphosis (i.e. the date you mentioned above), and also Derams and Explorations -- also with Freidman & Zoller). Great stuff!!

Try that Don Freidman Prestige date w/Atilla Zoller, Richard Davis, & Joe Chambers

Definitely!!! -- I actually have all the Freidman Prestige dates now (including both Metamorphosis (i.e. the date you mentioned above), and also Derams and Explorations -- also with Freidman & Zoller). Great stuff!!

Do you have the Zoller Embryo date, or the Hat trio date w/him, Friedman, & Lee Konitz?

Atilla Zoller could fill a lot of your bills within this particular category.

RT, I'm not familar with the examples you quoted in your opening post so cannot start from there, but along the lines of Jimmy Raney, how come nobody has mentioned the TAL FARLOW-Eddie Costa-Vinnie Burke trio dates yet?

Cannot fault him for what you might call excessive volume (unless turned up on your unit) but he's certainly fast and harmonically interesting, I'd say. Or would Eddie Costa be too "busy" for your taste? ;) (His percussiveness sometimes might come across as a bit busy but certainly not here, I feel)

Or how about the Tal Farlow-Red Norvo-Red Mitchell dates?

(Of course if you are afraid other office passers-by might object you might have a point because vibes can indeed drive the unsuspecting non-jazz listeners up the wall :D))

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I can't think of anything off the top of my head but am totally on the same page with regards to Metheny being great ear food while not shredding the ears of innocent passers by. Around the home or in the car with my wife and baby son Metheny is often a good go to guy when i need something light but tasty. Rejoicing was a good rec for Metheny, however when it gets to The Call you'll be scrambling for the volume dial.

I think the world became a far better place when Lou Mecca decided to become a chiropractor and put down his guitar...

"Guitar Sounds From Lenny Breau"

"The Jazz Guitar of Joe Puma"

Joe Puma- "Shining Hour"

"Intermodulation" Jim Hall and Bill Evans

Meow...

OTOH, I'm a big Joe Puma fan. His duo album with Chuck Wayne, "Interactions," may be his best recorded work IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/Interactions-Chuck-Wayne/dp/B006I01KFA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1378337187&sr=1-1&keywords=chuck+wayne+joe+puma

Excellent Puma solo on "Body and Soul" there.

This Puma album is also a gem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDltZrlo9CM

More from that one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVV3OO4afvE

See if you can find Joe Beck's Song For Wounded Knee on Flying Dutchman. A trio w/Richard Davis & DeJohnette. "Harmonically complex" it only sometimes is, but it's not at all loud and is interesting enough throughout. If you only know Joe Beck from the CTI & beyond days, this is not that, not even.