Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

There's still a lot of new releases to come in this series, plenty being advertised on CD Japan for release next month and beyond!

Do you have release information past February 26th? After checking HMV and CD Japan, I couldn't find any information past the initial list of 100 titles.

I should be noted that there are more Blue Note SHM cds than on that list at the beginning of this thread and do not have the TYCJ catalogue number.... my Joe Henderson State of the Tenor came out before the list, has a TOCJ catalogue number and is nevertheless and SHM cd.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I should be noted that there are more Blue Note SHM cds than on that list at the beginning of this thread and do not have the TYCJ catalogue number.... my Joe Henderson State of the Tenor came out before the list, has a TOCJ catalogue number and is nevertheless and SHM cd.

that title is in a different series altogether dedicated to the somethin' else label that were released in july, august, and september of last year (2013); http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/jazz-label/cat/somethin-else and http://sp.universal-music.co.jp/bluenote/somethin_in_blue/

Edited by etherbored

Is anyone saving the 3:1 campaign stickers for this series? I understand the campaign only applies to residents of Japan (I think). I'm not entirely sure how it works — simply purchase three titles in order to select one for free? That seems like a pretty good deal, if so. Any Japanese readers here? The offer expires March 31st.

I believe these SHM-CDs are actually available at 7-Eleven stores in Japan. :rfr I wish the 7-Eleven near my home carried them.

Listened again and again to Polycurrents yesterday. What I'm noticing as perhaps most significant as a difference in these masteirngs is the depth of the soundstage. Don't generally hear the instruments centered behind the others placed as deeply and disctinctly as you do in these masterings. Interesting new view.

whilst I've not got Polycurrents what amazes me about this series is the improvements they have achieved on those I've heard ( Speak no Evil, Somethin"Else, Out to Lunch). How do they do it ? I have SPE and OTL on 45rpm editions and these SHM discs sound so close and yet despite postage/ customs cost 1/3 of the price. I'm not complaining other than wondering which titles really are actually worth re-buying.

Your favorites and or those you think are the least well mastered on cd.

I have been trying to show some restraint and I'm going to have to stop buying some, especially as I'm also very happy with the Japanese Atlantics out now and grabbing some of my favorites from that release series. I really love the Mingus titles and how they sound.

Your favorites and or those you think are the least well mastered on cd.

That's pretty much my approach plus I'd add sessions such as Odyssey of Iska which I've never heard in any format ( still pondering that one)

I'd agree with that as well although for myself I would add getting the titles with the unreleased takes such as the Dolphy and Adderley. The Adderley title is about the only early Blue Note I have a mint original LP of but I wanted the CD for the alternate take.

RE: Ornette:

Now I have to wonder if the new reissue of New York Is Now will reinstate the original (and intended) overdubs for "We Now Interrupt For A Commercial" ... ?

To answer my own question — yes, the new TYCJ has the original Mel Fuhrman overdubs.

Thanks very much for this info. I've only heard the 1989/1990 re-mixed CD and had no idea any overdubs were missing.

RE: Ornette:

Now I have to wonder if the new reissue of New York Is Now will reinstate the original (and intended) overdubs for "We Now Interrupt For A Commercial" ... ?

To answer my own question — yes, the new TYCJ has the original Mel Fuhrman overdubs.

Thanks very much for this info. I've only heard the 1989/1990 re-mixed CD and had no idea any overdubs were missing.

Just for one track, of course. On the 1990 CD, the vocals (or rather spoken part) on "We Now Interrupt For A Commercial" are carried out by Dewey, though he knew ahead of time that they were just place-markers. Mel Fuhrman, during this time, was Blue Note's marketing director. The tune itself is meant to have some humorous undercurrent.

This one track notwithstanding, the whole CD (the SHM-CD, that is) is worth hearing. While the Addey edition sounds fine, this new edition adds considerable soundstage (i.e. depth) to the experience. If you already like Ornette's 1968 work for Blue Note, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase New York Is Now! (and pre-order Love Call). Now if only The Empty Foxhole could receive similar treatment for SHM-CD!

More importantly, please give us Complete Communion — Don Cherry's finest effort for Blue Note, in my opinion.

There's still a lot of new releases to come in this series, plenty being advertised on CD Japan for release next month and beyond!

Do you have release information past February 26th? After checking HMV and CD Japan, I couldn't find any information past the initial list of 100 titles.

Quite correct, I have an Andrew Hill release on the 26th and then that's it. Let's keep our fingers crossed for more!

I am hoping for a further 100 but if everyone is doing what we are doing and cherry-picking I wonder if it will happen. What do you guys think? The days of the JRVG gold rush are long gone, the subsequent 24 bit budget TOCJs did not arouse much of a stir on this board though maybe in Japan they did well - but i wonder even there how much appetite there is for another round. Are there people new to BN who would buy CDs? Yes these are attractive and relatively inexpensive collectables but... we'll see, I suppose.

There is one curiosity thrown up by the hmv search - what is TYCJ 60054 going to be? http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Bobby-Hutcherson_000000000002280/item_%E6%9C%AA%E5%AE%9A_5652416

Not an SHM-CD and showing 'no title'. Hm....

Edited by David Ayers

Any further comments on the sonic benefits of Shorter's " JuJu" and "All seeing eye" and Hill's "Grassroots"

My McMaster Juju sounds fragile with splashy cymbals, I'd forgotten it sounded this poor

My RVG ASE sounds basically ok , I'd be hoping for a clearer bass and improved sound stage.

Grassroots Conn sounds pinched and nasal, very narrow sound stage and brittle. Not a good combo, it's no wonder I've played this so little. The music I like but can easily see that if improved it would be spun more often.

These are the only editions I have of these sessions ( along with many other BN dates). I've generally avoided upgrade fever but the down side of my wonderful new DAC is that it reveals all, which some times isn't a good thing.

I never really bought much Blue Note CD's (as I prefer the vinyl format for old jazz albums, especially nice old Libererty or Japanese King pressings ), but this topic has made me curious! So this morning I pulled the trigger and ordered Andrew Hill - Grass Roots. The price is very reasonable, so if these albums can compete with Liberty or Japanese King (vinyl) pressings I think I will going to be order a lot more in the future.

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier, but these February releases seem to contain bonus tracks, although it hasn't been announced what the tunes are:

Ornette Coleman - Love Call (three additional tracks, previous CD only had two)

Blue Mitchell - Heads Up (two tracks)

From those released in January Reuben WIlson's 'Say It Loud' has one alternate take of 'Brother Soul'.

Ornette Coleman - Love Call (three additional tracks, previous CD only had two)

My 1990 copy of Love Call actually does list three bonus tracks. They are:

1. Check Out Time (alt.)

2. Love Call (alt.)

3. Just For You

The new SHM-CD will probably (I think) put the above two alternates after "Just For You" in the track list. That'll be a nice change (instead of having the alternates right after the masters).

I believe these SHM-CDs are actually available at 7-Eleven stores in Japan. :rfr I wish the 7-Eleven near my home carried them.

No they're not! You can have them delivered to your local 7-eleven, family mart, or some other retailers for no postage fee.

Really? That'd be cool. I'd import SHM-CDs through my local 7-Eleven.

Any further comments on the sonic benefits of Shorter's ... "All seeing eye"

My RVG ASE sounds basically ok , I'd be hoping for a clearer bass and improved sound stage.

I made some comments above, but I'd give an emphatic yes — the SHM-CD has clearer bass, an improved soundstage, and Joe Chambers' drums sound much more present. The horns are very present, so that might take a little getting used to, but overall a big :tup .

The other SHM-CDs I'd recommend, so far, over previous editions are:

1. Ornette Coleman: New York Is Now!

2. Thelonious Monk: Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 1

3. Thelonious Monk: Genius of Modern Music, Vol. 2

4. Sam Rivers: A New Conception

Some SHM-CDs, while sounding very good, don't provide what I (personally) would consider a sizeable sonic upgrade from their TOCJ predecessors. They are:

1. Miles Davis, Vol. 1

2. Miles Davis, Vol. 2

3. Joe Henderson: In 'N Out

Don't get me wrong — the above three SHM-CDs do sound very good. I just don't think, at least so far in my listening (who knows — I could always change my mind) that they sonically trample the TOCJ editions. One perk of the Davis SHM-CDs is that they offer additional tracks that the TOCJs do not. Same for the Henderson (i.e. one track).

If I didn't have a number (um, a lot) of TOCJs already, I'd be swooping down on this series like a hawk. As it is, I'm trying to be selective. We'll see how long that lasts.

Overall, when I listen to these SHM-CDs, my response is: :Nod: .

Set my objections to yet another "upgrade" aside and finally took the plunge and ordered Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil, to compare it to my BN Works copy and see, or rather hear, if it really is an upgrade to my ears.

The Shorter only, or other SHM-CDs? I'm interested in hearing your response! (Even if you don't care for that particular SHM-CD, you will have the bonus tracks, so that can't not be some type of plus.)

The new SHM-CD will probably (I think) put the above two alternates after "Just For You" in the track list. That'll be a nice change (instead of having the alternates right after the masters).

I'm wrong on this. The two alternate takes come before the bonus track "Just For You" on the new SHM-CD. Doesn't really matter, of course; I already pre-ordered based on my positive reaction to the SHM-CD of New York Is Now!

Set my objections to yet another "upgrade" aside and finally took the plunge and ordered Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil, to compare it to my BN Works copy and see, or rather hear, if it really is an upgrade to my ears.

The Shorter only, or other SHM-CDs? I'm interested in hearing your response! (Even if you don't care for that particular SHM-CD, you will have the bonus tracks, so that can't not be some type of plus.)

Yep, the Shorter only. I used to buy new Blue Note series in bulk, often only to find that I didn't like their sound after repeated listening. That cost me a small fortune, so I thought I'd try just the one this time :)