Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listened to "New Conception" and "Odyssey of Iskra" last night. Again, both have a lot of depth to the sound; the placement of instruments is more recognizable; I guess clarity is the operative word here. Rivers' horn sounds gorgeous, up front but not abrasively so. The Iskra disc sounds magnificent. I haven't compared the Rivers to the Mosaic set, but it is easily recommended for those who don't have this album, as it is a beautiful session of standards, which according to the liner notes, disappointed many who had been following Rivers, as they were seeking more adventurous music, and it apparently did not sell well.

I am not looking to upgrade the small remaining Blue Notes in my collection, but based on these discs, I ordered the Dolphy and the other Shorter discs because I think this is a significant sonic upgrade. Take note that I have upgraded elements of my stereo system, and that in many (but not all) instances the RVGs, a lot of the Connoisseurs and some McMasters don't sound as good as the SHM discs. By this I mean they sound flat. This may not apply to your listening experience.

There's moments on Rivers A New Conception that start to get adventurous, but the title promises too much for an audience looking for that. I listened to it yesterday and was impressed,in fact it's one of my favourites in these reissues. The biggest dissapointment for me so far, other than the post '68 albums, is Maiden Voyage.

I don't even comment on threads like that over there any more. Any real discussion about the sonics of a session that Steve Hoffman mastered is pretty much impossible, unless you don't mind getting banned. You really can only say, "It's great," or heavily qualify "It's not so great". You cannot say, "It's bad".

Jeez - Echoes of Pol Pot !

I hear you re: multiple versions of this stuff. I'll pass - happy enough with all the McMasters, Conns, RVGs, Mosaic Selects and vinyl versions I have. Enough is enough !

Edited by sidewinder

They do have an expiration date (a year or so).

I received a notice about bonus points from CDJapan which says the points expire in 90 days.

preserve decorum and order something. It's the only decent thing to do.

In that case, these 300 new customer points must expire sooner than normal. Ordinarily points expire after 1 year. See the following link.

By the way, you also get 300 bonus points every year in the month of your birthday.

They do have an expiration date (a year or so).

I received a notice about bonus points from CDJapan which says the points expire in 90 days.

preserve decorum and order something. It's the only decent thing to do.

In that case, these 300 new customer points must expire sooner than normal. Ordinarily points expire after 1 year. See the following link.

By the way, you also get 300 bonus points every year in the month of your birthday.

I followed your link and it does say that certain bonus point expire after 90 days... I guess some points are more equal than others!!

Received the SHM version of Juju. Not much different than the RVG.....

sonically or in content....?

i was finally able to listen to 'on broadway' and 'grass roots' on my freshly serviced 2270 last night. i liked what i heard - detail, musicality, and at least on these two titles, an excellent soundstage. order #2 being placed this evening...

i was finally able to listen to 'on broadway' and 'grass roots' on my freshly serviced 2270 last night. i liked what i heard - detail, musicality, and at least on these two titles, an excellent soundstage. order #2 being placed this evening... Sonically. Makes me wonder if they used the same master as the RVG. The Patton and Rivers both sound better than the shorter Juju.

Or maybe I need to clean my ears....

Edited by Stefan Wood

i was finally able to listen to 'on broadway' and 'grass roots' on my freshly serviced 2270 last night. i liked what i heard - detail, musicality, and at least on these two titles, an excellent soundstage. order #2 being placed this evening... Sonically. Makes me wonder if they used the same master as the RVG. The Patton and Rivers both sound better than the shorter Juju.

Or maybe I need to clean my ears....

I compared the RVG to the SHM on headphones and they are not the same mastering. For instance, with the RVG the sax is most upfront of all instruments with everything else sort of receded. On House of Jade for instance there is more stereo separation and around 0:30 the drummer's brushes (right) are more upfront together with Wayne's sax (left).

(I'm not saying JuJu's SHM is up there with the best this series has to offer.)

Edited by erwbol

my box of five japanese SHM cds showed up last night and I have done an initial comparison with the Maiden Voyage RVG. While I like the sound of the SHM, I do not prefer it to the RVG. Not sure I can put my finger on it and while yes they are different... not dramatically so. If the sonic character among SHMs is similar I am somewhat reluctant to open the other four I just got (Empyrean Isles, Speak No Evil, Moanin', The Real McCoy) in case I decide to sell these SHMs... I suppose japanese versions and being sealed brings a higher price.