Import Cds - the online retailer - what do you guys think of them?

skeith

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no experience with their customer service.

With their relatively sharp but fluctuating prices they allow me to import hybrid SACDs and XRCD24s without incurring the wrath of the Dutch Customs Nazis. I also buy International Phonograph releases like the Bill Dixon and Hemphill from them.

I've talked to their customer service on phone, a few times. Very friendly, very helpful, but they answer the phone as a different business altogether, and when you ask for "Import CDs", they say, "oh, that's us!". All the data is at hand, and all issues get resolved. I get the impression that, "image" and/or "net presence" to the contrary, it's probably a really small business doing the best they can with what they got, which is why I've never raised hell as a default response.

Import CDs is one of the retail subsidiaries of Super D, which is the biggest wholesale music & video distributor in the US. Super D also owns Deep Discount.

http://www.sdcd.com/

AFAIK, they are a one-stop, not a distributor. One-stops buy from distributors.

You're right, they're a one-stop. IIRC there's been some pretty significant consolidation among one-stops over the past few years, and Super D is the one that came out on top.

Looking at their homepage a little closer, they do act as a distributor for CD Baby and Film Baby.

I am in Australia and have used them via Amazon without problems (other than the cracked jewel case issue from skimpy packaging, which I've learnt to live with), so I tracked them down direct a few months ago and went mad buying up because they're so cheap.

I was getting terrific fills at first - they stated over 500,000 items in stock - and the shipping cost is ridiculously low considering how high the US postal rates (to overseas destinations) are these days.

The only pain was that I could NOT get either of my credit cards verified (has NEVER been a problem anywhere else), so am having to use PayPal. Nothing wrong with PayPal per se, but Import CDs charge you in full at the time of ordering when you use that method. Over the last couple of months I've found their fill rates dropping, which means I am consistently overpaying. I then have to request a refund because under their system an item is automatically cancelled if it's not filled in 21 days.

They seem to have changed computer systems recently. This has resulted in bizarre multiple advices of shipments and the online record of the status of my orders lagging way behind the fact. This all makes it difficult to know whether I will get back-ordered items or not. Orders now tend to be filled in bits and pieces, as other users have noted here. One large order I placed in December appears to be corrupted, as I simply cannot access it online. They may also be having trouble accessing it as they haven't refunded me for the outstanding items I ordered in December or responded to my request for the refund.

This morning I see that they are stating there are just 136,000 items in stock, so there is something going on with Import CDs / CD Listening Bar / Super D International / whatever.

So ... right now I'm wary of placing further orders with them and am going to have to work on them to get my money back on the cancelled items, of which there are quite a few.

By the way, sometimes I've added a CD to my cart, only to find it has a red note stating that they are unable to ship it to my address. When this happens, I invariably find them (Import CDs) selling the same item on ebay - at approx. the same overall cost - and I get it that way. Interesting and worth noting for other overseas buyers.

Edited by tjs001

I am in Australia and have used them via Amazon without problems (other than the cracked jewel case issue from skimpy packaging, which I've learnt to live with), so I tracked them down direct a few months ago and went mad buying up because they're so cheap.

I was getting terrific fills at first - they stated over 500,000 items in stock - and the shipping cost is ridiculously low considering how high the US postal rates (to overseas destinations) are these days.

The only pain was that I could NOT get either of my credit cards verified (has NEVER been a problem anywhere else), so am having to use PayPal. Nothing wrong with PayPal per se, but Import CDs charge you in full at the time of ordering when you use that method. Over the last couple of months I've found their fill rates dropping, which means I am consistently overpaying. I then have to request a refund because under their system an item is automatically cancelled if it's not filled in 21 days.

They seem to have changed computer systems recently. This has resulted in bizarre multiple advices of shipments and the online record of the status of my orders lagging way behind the fact. This all makes it difficult to know whether I will get back-ordered items or not. Orders now tend to be filled in bits and pieces, as other users have noted here. One large order I placed in December appears to be corrupted, as I simply cannot access it online. They may also be having trouble accessing it as they haven't refunded me for the outstanding items I ordered in December or responded to my request for the refund.

This morning I see that they are stating there are just 136,000 items in stock, so there is something going on with Import CDs / CD Listening Bar / Super D International / whatever.

So ... right now I'm wary of placing further orders with them and am going to have to work on them to get my money back on the cancelled items, of which there are quite a few.

If they don't refund your unfilled orders, you can file claims with PayPal within 45 days of the payment dates.

Edited by J.A.W.

If they don't refund your unfilled orders, you can file claims with PayPal within 45 days of the payment dates.

Thanks J.A.W. I didn't mean to give the impression they are ripping me off by not refunding. They usually respond quickly. I think the corruption of this particular order is gumming up the works.

I'm going to write to them later, forwarding a copy of their original e-mail confirmation of that order (it has all the detail) in case that helps them fix it manually.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I have ceased ordering directly from them - it's just too much hassle.

In addition to the details I gave above, I have had shipments returned to them, which they then simply cancel. The reason they get shipments back is that their system creates stupid shipping labels that have their address as the first and most prominent one! So, anyone in the post office not reading the label closely will send the parcel to Import CDs/Super D International!

I'm slowly being refunded for all the short-supplied items, but it's taking ages and the communication is poor. I'm in Australia, so I'm not going to call them.

I'm still buying the odd item through them on ebay, but those items are in stock, unlike the ones I used to order directly from them.

• 6 months later...

Pissed as hell at them right now. Ordered something through Amazon Marketplace three weeks ago on my birthday. Total DHL clusterfark - according to the tracking records, it sat in Tampa, in limbo between DHL and the USPS for almost a week. Then on September 29 it apparently reached the state of Washington, with the notification that delivery "may be delayed". No tracking update since then. I waited until the end of the expected delivery period, which was yesterday, to contact Import CDs and ask for a refund.

They refused.

They are "confident" that it will be delivered "very soon" and may be they'll consider a refund if I give it another week.

They forced me to contact Amazon directly. Rather than opening an "A to Z" claim, which can take two weeks, I had Amazon contact them and encourage them to issue a refund. We'll see if that does the trick, but never again will I order from them. It may not be their fault that DHL is incompetent but after this period of time its their responsibility as the seller to step up and say they're sorry and give me my money back, and do it without delay.

Edited by Dan Gould

If they cover mistakes made by European postal systems, they should extent the same courtesy to customers depended on the US system. They reshipped the Ellington Coltrane APO SACD I ordered within 24 hours!

(And, no, that first shipment never arrived eventually.)

Edited by erwbol

• 1 month later...

Always been my understanding that CC cannot be charged until the item ships. Saw this:

Can mail-order merchants charge my card before they ship?

According to Janet Hug of Visa USA, "a merchant is not permitted to bill ahead of time" except in case of a deposit or down payment that the customer agrees to. MasterCard said in a letter that a merchant can charge you before shipment only if s/he tells you and you agree to "the terms and conditions of the sale."American Express said the merchant can charge your card as soon as you give your account number; but if you receive the bill before the merchandise, call Amex customer service and you don't have to pay while they investigate.

So maybe they charged it and are shipping it. (Looking on the bright side here).