Legends of Acid Jazz

Hardbopjazz

Does anyone know how many sessions(CD's) are in this series? I have 13 CD's from this series. How many more are there?

Thanks in advance

I have these:

Rusty Bryant

Sonny Stitt

Houston Person

Don Patterson Vol 1

Don Patterson Vol 2

Jack McDuff Vol 1

Jack McDuff Vol 2

Richard Holems

Sonny Phillips

Gene Ammons

Shirley Scott

Red Holloway

Charles Kynard

Trudy Pitts/Pat Martino

Johnny Hammond Smith

Rusty Bryant vol 2

Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers

Ivan Boogaloo Jones

Ivan Boogaloo Jones vol 2

Idris Muhammad

and another organ player whose name escapes me

Don't forget Fantasy has issued a lot of cds after this series that are basically more of the same, just without the "Acid Jazz" label.

Edited by Stefan Wood

They used to have a link to their page on the series on the new releases page, but it isn't there any more, sorry, can't find it.

That’s what the Internet Archive is for!

Here is a snapshot of Fantasy’s New Releases page from June 2003:

New Releases

At the end of it is the now removed link to the Legends of Acid Jazz series:

Legends of Acid Jazz

As Stefan mentioned, there are later (and earlier) reissues of material in the same vein without the LOAJ denomination.

I tested the basic Fantasy URL part of the link above and the page still exists, although Fantasy doesn’t link to it on the New Releases page any longer. I then did a Google search for pages linking to the LOAJ page, and there is one on Fantasy’s site that still does that, namely the History page. Near the end of it there is still a link to the LOAJ series.

There are some interesting search possibilities at disposal on the web!

I like the series, but found I like some more than others. I was looking for that greasy sound and really found it in the Ivan Boogaloo Jones Vol.1 & 2. I also enjoy the Sonny Stitt. But I got and traded away the Billy Butler and Groove Holmes. They are both great musicians, no doubt about it, but I found the Butler uninteresting and the Groove Holmes didn't match his Pacific Jazz stuff in my opinion. But man does that Boogaloo Jones groove...

• 1 year later...

The Stitt CD has Turn It On! (Prestige 10012, recorded on January 4, 1971) and Black Vibrations (prestige 10032, July 9, 1971) on it.

Surprisingly, it's not just one-chord grooves. Leon Spencer's compositions are actually somewhat more interesting than what usually can be expected from this kind of stuff. Stitt himself plays good, but is perhaps heard to better advantage elsewhere.