The bass players

Milestones

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious about Earl May? Hard to think of an even less unimaginative choice for Coltrane's trio session (even if that might have been an accident only) ... I'm not all that big on Paul Chambers, but give me Doug Watkins any day please!

Earl May, however, to me makes "Lush Life" a rather boring record, definitely not among the top 5 of Coltrane's Prestige recordings - the title track is the great one on that album, as for the trio date, best of it all is the longer take of the blues that ended up on "The Last Trane" - there, Earl May sounds pretty good indeed, but on the three titles of the original album ... not really.

Any of 'em.

;) .......Wilbur Ware was unfortunately not overly prolific and I agree that all his recordings are important, but again (hope not being too pushy...) if it would come down to 1 TRACK which stands synonymous for your appreciation of Wilbure Ware`s euvre, which one would you choose ??

Ok, I can get it down to three, from which I'll leave it to you to make the final selection. :)

1. "The Man I Love" from The Chicago Sound. That arrangement has a "showcase" feel to it, like it was designed to be played in clubs by a working band as a more or less set piece, and it sounds to me like Ware plays it accordingly. So I get a kind of "community" feel to it that I really like.
  2. "Well, You Needn't" from Monk's Music - both the solo and the accompaniment show how Ware could swing you into bad health and move you ears into totally unexpected places harmonically with his logical yet still atypical substitutions.
  3. "By Myself" from Super Bass (also included in the Clifford Jordan/Strata-East Mosaic set) - 7:42 of solo bass over basic changes. As Stefan from SNL used to say, "This one has it all", only, like, in the best, the very best way.

I feel funny for not including anything off the Rollins Vanguard date, or from the Grant Green trio side, but in the case of the Rollins, I couldn't pick just one, and besides, that's a perfectly triangulated trio, so...I will say though, that Elvin never again had a bassist so bass-icly propulsive until he got hooked up with JG. not that propulsive!

These are just my first three that come to mind. Like I said, any others will do as well!

thanx for disclosing your Wilbur Ware faves - "By Myself" really "has it all" and this also compared to most other bass players.........share your feelings reg. the Sonny Rollins Trio "Live at The Village Vanguard" recordings, as the in charge musicians work as a tight unit and this makes it virtually impossible to single out a track.....

as for favourite bass players in general ... I guess these might do for me:

Pops Foster

Wellman Braud

Walter Page

Junior Raglin

Jimmie Blanton

Israel Crosby

Oscar Pettiford

Charles Mingus

Percy Heath

Doug Watkins

Wilbur Ware

Peter Trunk

Charlie Haden

Jimmy Garrison

David Izenzon

Richard Davis

Gary Peacock

Art Davis

Malachi Favors

Fred Hopkins

Wilber Morris

Barry Guy

Johnny Dyani

Harry Miller

Henri Texier

Jean-Jacques Avenel

Christian Weber

also Sam Jones, George Tucker, Arthur Harper, Al Stinson, Cecil McBee ...

GEORGE JOYNER aka JAMIL NASSER

btw as obviously being a bass fanatic, I was hoping this thread would be mainly about specific bass performances (like obviously stated by the thread initiator) giving the reader a chance to (re)search these - and not turn into another name dropping rundown....just my 5 pence worth....

Well, if you insist ... ;)

With all due respect, I beg to disagree about Jamil Nasser.

He is one of those who have managed to mar my listening experience here and there, specifically as an accompanist to Al Haig ("Strings Attached").

What's all that droning, booming, resonating bass background that distracts from the lead voices and at times even tends to collide with Jimmy Raney's guitar lines? Not always very sympathetic IMO.

Granted that times and styles have evolved since the 50s but what's all that busybody bassing around when, as an accompanist, a somewhat more subordinate role is called for. Where are Ray Brown, Red Callender, etc. when it is all about getting a steady pulse and swing going? There is a time and place for everything and all this droning and resonating may be fine and quite appropriate in other settings, but there??

Or is it all the fault of what recording mix was fashionable in those days?

No doubt Al Haig himself felt differently as he used Jamil Nasser often, but still ... :huh:

Gary Mazzaroppi (with Tal Farlow) is another one in the very same vein (even more so, sometimes crowding out the guitarist) who makes it a bit of a displeasure searching out latter-day recordings by artists who I like immensely. No harm and insult meant, but the way they play there, those bass players just "get in the way" IMO.

BTW, talking about dropping names - no interest in Curtis Counce?

so basically different strokes for different folks :w

but as this thread was about specific bass player performances I was highlighting solely his stance with the Ahmad Jamal Trio, where he is IMO a perfect piece of the "whole" picture......there is a recording of subject unit

Ahmad Jamal Trio - Paris 1971
Ahmad Jamal Trio

Paris (France), Studio 104, Maison de la Radio

June 25, 1971

"in the net" taped one week folowing their performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival (the later saw release on Impulse via "Freeflight" and "Outertimeinnerspace") released, which even more showcases the power of subject unit and Jamil Nasser`s contribution to it....

Actually I don`t own any Jamil Nasser recording following his stint with Ahmad Jamal (funny enough I don`t own any Jamal recording following the break-up with Jamil Nasser and Frank Gant) for a reason, so probably we are not that much in disagreement at all....

Pops Foster

Wellman Braud

Walter Page

Junior Raglin

Jimmie Blanton

Israel Crosby

Oscar Pettiford

Charles Mingus

Percy Heath

Doug Watkins

Wilbur Ware

Peter Trunk

Charlie Haden

Jimmy Garrison

David Izenzon

Richard Davis

Gary Peacock

Art Davis

Malachi Favors

Fred Hopkins

Wilber Morris

Barry Guy

Johnny Dyani

Harry Miller

Henri Texier

Jean-Jacques Avenel

Christian Weber

good list my friend, so now please tell uns a special performance of the named bass players each :D:P !!

Edited by soulpope

To start with Pops Foster, his SLAP BASS workout with the Luis Russell Orchestra is stellar anytime IMO and has certainly set the framework for many others who followed in that playing style (regardless of the fact that there have been some (critics??) who considered slap bass the ultimate in technical NON-proficiency in playing the "bass fiddle" ;))

(Different strokes for different folks again ...)

As for King Ubu's above list - hey, where's Scott La Faro? ;)

(Hey, you don't mean to say ... ?? ;))

Pops Foster

Wellman Braud

Walter Page

Junior Raglin

Jimmie Blanton

Israel Crosby

Oscar Pettiford

Charles Mingus

Percy Heath

Doug Watkins

Wilbur Ware

Peter Trunk

Charlie Haden

Jimmy Garrison

David Izenzon

Richard Davis

Gary Peacock

Art Davis

Malachi Favors

Fred Hopkins

Wilber Morris

Barry Guy

Johnny Dyani

Harry Miller

Henri Texier

Jean-Jacques Avenel

Christian Weber

good list my friend, so now please tell uns a special performance of the named bass players each :D:P !!

Well, not really ... I read the original post and would not have provided this list if there would have been interest ONLY in particular performances. But regarding Ware, those recordings with Griffin do rock my world.

Watkins I first heard on "The Cats" and I still love that album - he's also terrific on those Savoy sides with Morgie and the Hankster (I seem to remember particularly one or two tracks on "Introducing Lee Morgan").

As for Harry Miller: whenever he played with Louis Moholo - those two rock my world, always! No matter if with a mid-sized Westbrook band, some ZA combination or Peter Brötzmann, I just love their free bounce, Miller makes me smile.

Israel Crosby ... well, each and any track with Jamal and Fournier, I guess - not a single bass solo if memory serves me right, but he's always *there* and he always delivers - must be one of the most integrated combos of all music.

Mingus - just one: "Haitian Fight Song"!

Weber - live solo gig and other concerts - wonderful boomy sound, no show off, even though he can pull some tricks.

Same for Barry Guy - live was always mighty impressive, wouldn't be able to pin down any particular track on CD (I don't have many of his anyway - there's too much good stuff around and too little time to keep up with it ... this is the kind of music I prefer hearing live, after all).

To start with Pops Foster, his SLAP BASS workout with the Luis Russell Orchestra is stellar anytime IMO and has certainly set the framework for many others who followed in that playing style (regardless of the fact that there have been some (critics??) who considered slap bass the ultimate in technical NON-proficiency in playing the "bass fiddle" ;))

(Different strokes for different folks again ...)

As for King Ubu's above list - hey, where's Scott La Faro? ;)

(Hey, you don't mean to say ... ?? ;))

Pops Foster w/Luis Russell to me is musical heaven indeed!

As for LaFaro ... well, I'm indeed not that big on him. Same for Bill Evans in general, actually. I like the trio (but I always wonder how it would have sounded with a Motian further into his career ... on these early sides he's still green and not doing too much - he was to turn into such a fine, idiosyncratic musician ....). Anyway, I like listening to those recordings, actually I guess I can say I love them, the mix of all things makes them great, but still, La Faro is just not a top favourite bass player of mine.

I’m a big fan of Charlie Haden, but also a whole host of players: Ron Carter, Richard Davis, Ray Brown, Eddie Gomez, Christian McBride, and many more. In electric bass, the top players (for me) are Jaco, Stanley Clarke, and Steve Swallow (not much beyond them).

I’m looking for your favorite bassists, but even more particularly favorite performances. I’m not necessarily talking about long bass solos, but rather uses of the bass that are very striking and effective.

me too :w .....

Francois Rabbath -- Bass Ball (1963)

excellent choice - Francois Rabbath can really make the bass "sing"...my favourite being "Ode D'Espagne" from "Francois Rabbath Au Palais Des Sports" (Moshe Naim 12 003) 1971

Are you serious about Earl May? Hard to think of an even less unimaginative choice for Coltrane's trio session (even if that might have been an accident only) ... I'm not all that big on Paul Chambers, but give me Doug Watkins any day please!

Earl May, however, to me makes "Lush Life" a rather boring record, definitely not among the top 5 of Coltrane's Prestige recordings - the title track is the great one on that album, as for the trio date, best of it all is the longer take of the blues that ended up on "The Last Trane" - there, Earl May sounds pretty good indeed, but on the three titles of the original album ... not really.

I feel like May is almost channeling Wilbur Ware on that trio date... his playing not nearly as sublime as Ware (whose is?), but he shows off a really nice, dark tone, stays out of the way as needed, and holds down the grooves in a way that seems to inspire some of Trane best Prestige-era playing, IMO. But, no, May was never a consistently great or all-that interesting player on his own, at least as far as I have heard. But for this one date I find his playing essential to the succes of the performances.

I don't think I've seen any mention of Barre Phillips yet. So, yeah, Barre Phillips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFnzH5yGbws

Edited by Joe

Wow, this may have turned into the biggest thread of all those I have started.

Just curious--anyone interested in throwing in some electric players? There certainly seem very few mentioned.

These are ones I spotlighted:

"Round Trip/Broadway Blues"--Jaco (Metheny)

"The Giant Guitar and the Black Stick"--Steve Swallow

"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat"--Stanley Clarke (Shorter's Manhattan Project)

George Joyner's bass solos on the Red Garland Quintet sessions on Prestige bored me a lot.

And with limited exceptions, I am not a big fan of very lengthy bass solos.

As my preference is for bass players like George Tucker and Doug Watkins with a big woody swinging sound, I am not a big fan of Scott LaFaro.

In some ways Scott moved bass playing (by some, thankfully not all) in a direction less appealing to me. A number of bass players want to turn their instruments into guitars which I generally find annoying. i like those low notes on the bass!

For my taste, I liked Bill Evans best when playing with people like Sam Jones who could provide a solid bottom and swing the trio.

By the same token, I much prefer Philly Jo Jones as the drummer with Bill Evans, though Joe LaBarbera also fit well with Evans.

Regarding Richard Davis ... always loved his playing with Mel Lewis - whackiest big band rhythm section this side of the avantgarde, I guess, with Roland Hanna on the keys! On those Solid State recordings, I often end up focussing on the rhythm section for quite a while!

And yes, of course those Hill albums, and "Out to Lunch" - and the Booker Ervin ones with Byard/Davis/Dawson as well.

Regarding Peter Trunk (because he's probably pretty unfamiliar to many): he's on Lucky Thompson's Candid date, and there's half a trio album as well (ts-b-d), shared with a Bud Powell trio. These were issued on the LT and Duke Jordan/Bud Powell discs of the "Original Vogue Masters" CD series, and I guess elsewhere - LP cover:

vogue+cover.jpg

details:

http://www.discogs.com/Bud-Powell-Trio-Lucky-Thompson-Trio-Memorial-Oscar-Pettiford/release/4193370

(It's young Humair on the LT tracks, the Three Bosses on the rest)

Regarding Richard Davis ... always loved his playing with Mel Lewis - whackiest big band rhythm section this side of the avantgarde, I guess, with Roland Hanna on the keys! On those Solid State recordings, I often end up focussing on the rhythm section for quite a while!

And yes, of course those Hill albums, and "Out to Lunch" - and the Booker Ervin ones with Byard/Davis/Dawson as well.

Regarding Peter Trunk (because he's probably pretty unfamiliar to many): he's on Lucky Thompson's Candid date, and there's half a trio album as well (ts-b-d), shared with a Bud Powell trio. These were issued on the LT and Duke Jordan/Bud Powell discs of the "Original Vogue Masters" CD series, and I guess elsewhere - LP cover:

vogue+cover.jpg

details:

http://www.discogs.com/Bud-Powell-Trio-Lucky-Thompson-Trio-Memorial-Oscar-Pettiford/release/4193370

(It's young Humair on the LT tracks, the Three Bosses on the rest)

Yeah - I enjoyed Peter Trunk's playing with Lucky Thompson on that Vogue LP. Hadn't thought of him for a while. Thanks for the reminder.