Oscar winners who offed themselves

Sad to say, two Oscar winners took their own lives in 2014: Philip Seymour Hoffman and Robin Williams. Never a good thing, especially with the talent these two had.

In the past we had George Sanders and Gig Young. That's all I can think of for now.

I know I'm being morbid, but just curious about this thing happening with actors. Add some other names, if they fit. Actually, go ahead and include people besides actors: directors, writers, music composers, etc.

Actors- Pier Angeli, Jean Seberg(?), Peter Duel, Inger Stevens, Brittany Murphy, Spalding Gray, Marilyn Monroe(?)

Musicians- Nick Drake, Judee Sill, Elliot Smith, Roy Buchanan, Phil Ochs, Danny Gatton, G. G. Allin, Mike Bloomfield(?), Tommy Boyce, Bob Grattinger, Sonny criss, Donny hathaway

Well, if you off yourself you intentionally kill yourself.

So I guess the opposite would be intentionally keeping yourself alive. Which means we on ourselves everyday.

"offed themselves"? not morbid but insensitive to anyone who's life's been touched by suicide I might suggest...

insensitive, ignorant and offensive.

Is it? If he had said "killed themselves" would that have been acceptable?

I don't intentionally keep myself alive as much as I do just wake up and start going. Not a lot of directed motivation there, just reflex. Motivation has never been my strong suit.

I think the least offensive term for suicide is "drove themselves to Vermont". Unless of course the person already lived in Vermont, in which case...I don't know. Again, motivation is not my strong suit.

I don't intentionally keep myself alive as much as I do just wake up and start going. Not a lot of directed motivation there, just reflex. Motivation has never been my strong suit.

I think the least offensive term for suicide is "drove themselves to Vermont". Unless of course the person already lived in Vermont, in which case...I don't know. Again, motivation is not my strong suit.

Ah, but do you eat? Exercise? Go to the doctor when you're sick? That sounds like intentionally keeping yourself alive.

Eating is a reflex (alas...). Don't exercise too much, again, motivation is not my strong suit. Only go to the doctor when all else fails, and then just to feel better, not to stay alive. Too lazy for discomfort.

Really, if you want to use me as a specimen for the fierce determination of the human life forcespirit or something like that, I'm really not your guy. I'm more like Exhibit A for life goes on until it doesn't.

I'll put it this way - I was watching football Sunday night, and the Christmas tree, which had been looking a little off-center shifted for the last few days, just fell over, right on top of my head. Pine needles everywhere and shit. Was my reaction a rugged, OMG I could have died, get me get outta here? No, it was a simple, oh shit, there goes an hour of football down the drain, maybe I can get the wife and kids to help, or maybe I can just watch the game through the branches, I'm in no pain and it's gonna be the same mess no matter.

Seriously - motivation is not my strong suit.

I'll put it this way - I was watching football Sunday night, and the Christmas tree, which had been looking a little off-center shifted for the last few days, just fell over, right on top of my head. Pine needles everywhere and shit. Was my reaction a rugged, OMG I could have died, get me get outta here? No, it was a simple, oh shit, there goes an hour of football down the drain, maybe I can get the wife and kids to help, or maybe I can just watch the game through the branches, I'm in no pain and it's gonna be the same mess no matter.

Seriously - motivation is not my strong suit.

Ha! I can relate. My wife was cleaning out the fridge and while she was doing the final rinse (under the kitchen sink faucet) of the glass shelf that covers the produce drawers, the fuckin' glass shattered and it went everywhere including down the drain. I was pissed. Not at her and not so much that the glass broke as much as the time I was going to spend helping her clean it up and having to search online for a replacement piece. I was watching good shit on TV at time of accident. <_<