Louis Armstrong On Verve

JSngry

There was a single source for the collaborations with Ella - a 3-CD set with everything, including Porgy and Bess. Another 2-disc set released the sessions with Russell Garcia. Then there is the album with Oscar Peterson. That is about it, right?

Not an answer to your question, Jim, but just wanted to recommend this 2-CD overview to anybody wanting a representation of Armstrong's Verve period, if they can find it cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-It-Verve-Years/dp/B000004702

...picked it up for $3.99 at an Indianapolis record store several years ago and listened to it all the way through several times during commutes between Bloomington and Indy. Good liner notes by Dan Morgenstern as well.

There's a whole disc of alternates with OP as the final disc of the "Satchmo: Ambassador of Jazz" box set from four or five years ago.Available separately on ITunes I think. . . .

Edited as Alex noticed the erroneous box set title.

Edited by jazzbo

.. the 2-CD set with Russell Garcia ...

don't know that one, which is it?

as for alternates, a pair (of the same tune) are on the "Verve Elite Edition Collector's Disc" - and I think the bonustracks on the "Louis & OP" album were all taken from the Ella sessions, but I may be wrong (can't double check right now)

I love the Armstrong Russell Garcia albums. There is something very majestic and deep about Armstrong's singing and playing on those albums. The 2-disc set contains a number of alternates, false starts, etc. from the sessions in addition to the masters released on the two albums. .

Edited by John L

Thanks, that sounds good enough for me!

Still need that Hip-O-Select double as well ... tended to ignore late Louis way too long!

You mean the Symphony Hall one? Do not forget the Hollywood Bowl as well.

MI0003450817.jpg?partner=allrovi.com51RVMcCZ7fL.jpg

Edited by Alexandros

There's a whole disc of alternates with OP as the final disc of the Hello Louis! box set from four or five years ago.Available separately on ITunes I think,. . . .

Yes it's called A Day with Satchmo and contains the masters as well as the alternates.

There's a whole disc of alternates with OP as the final disc of the Hello Louis! box set from four or five years ago.Available separately on ITunes I think,. . . .

Yes it's called A Day with Satchmo and contains the masters as well as the alternates.

You mean this one I assume: https://thejazzword.wordpress.com/2014/08/01/one-day-in-the-studio-with-satchmo/

Lon, I see that the Hello Louis! is just a 2-cd set with no alternates as far as I can read. Do you mean by any chance, the final disc of the trumpet-case 10-Cd set Satchmo - Ambassador of Jazz?

You mean this one I assume: https://thejazzword.wordpress.com/2014/08/01/one-day-in-the-studio-with-satchmo/

Yes.

Would love to hear that disc 10! - but preferrably not as MP3 (I don't do iTunes anyways, don't even have it installed any longer).

The 2CD set with the Garcia-arranged album seems to be on its way, a "used - very good" copy from a vendor on amazon marketplace. Crossing fingers that it will look more or less okay!

.. the 2-CD set with Russell Garcia ...

don't know that one, which is it?

I've Got the World on a String/Under the Stars 2 cd on Verve.

I'd stronly assume this should come with a booklet as all Verve Master Edition reissues do, right? The used copy I bought just arrived, but no booklet, alas ...