The #1 Song on the Day You Were Born

duaneiac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A follow-up exercise -- here are the Number 1 songs on my birthday for the first 18 years of my life along with my personal 1 to 5 star rating of each.

Runaway - Del Shannon (***1/2)

Good Luck Charm - Elvis Presley (**)

He's So Fine - The Chiffons (*****!)

Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles (****1/2)

Game of Love - Wayne Fontana and The Mindbenders (I haven't heard this song in years, but as I recall it, I'd rate it ***)

(You're My) Soul) And Inspiration - The Righteous Brothers (***1/2)

Somethin' Stupid - Nancy & Frank Sinatra (sorry, but this song has always been a guilty pleasure, so *****)

Honey - Bobby Goldsboro (0 stars, but I will give it :tdown:tdown:tdown:tdown:tdown)

Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (The Flesh Failures) - The Fifth Dimension (*****)

Let It Be - The Beatles (*****)

Joy To The World - Three Dog Night (****)

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberts Flack (*****+++)

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree (what a difference a year can make; 0 stars)

TSOP (The Sound of Philadelphia) - MFSB and The Three Degrees (another song I haven't heard in years, but based on my memory of it, I'll give it ***1/2)

Philadelphia Freedom - Elton John (****)

Disco Lady - Johnnie Taylor (not a fan; **)

Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston (I prefer the Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes' version, but I'll give this ****)

Night  Fever - Bee Gees (**)

Knock On Wood (Amii Stewart (**)

Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean

and they didn't call me John but whether I'm big or bad I'll let others decide.

I wonder what the UK #1 was?

Just checked the 'conceived' link and got Calcutta by Lawrence Welk and His Orchestra. So glad my folks weren't in the US :)

Holy cow, me too!

Big Bad John by Jimmy Dean

and they didn't call me John but whether I'm big or bad I'll let others decide.

I wonder what the UK #1 was?

Just checked the 'conceived' link and got Calcutta by Lawrence Welk and His Orchestra. So glad my folks weren't in the US :)

Holy cow, me too!

Only the best!

A follow-up exercise -- here are the Number 1 songs on my birthday for the first 18 years of my life along with my personal 1 to 5 star rating of each.

The autumn weather has not yet begun to turn the leaves to flame, so I've got time for the rating game.

1955 - Sixteen Tons ohhellyeah *****

1956 - Singing The Blues by Guy Mitchell - 0*, jive turekyass POS

1957 - You Send Me by Same Cooke 3.5*, love Sam Cooke, but this record, in retrospect, is reflective of so many unfortunate things

1958 - To Know Him, Is to Love Him by The Teddy Bears **** Might seem like a Fleetwoods ripoff, but that's just on the surface. A really touching performance of a song that goes places not required of its commercial aspirations, and hey, Phil Spector, birthed here.

1959 - Heartaches by the Number by Guy Mitchell 0*, fuck you, Guy Mitchell

1960 - Are You Lonesome Tonight? by Elvis Presley **, Fuck Elvis

1961 - Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes ***** The tightness of a new pocket. Hardly the apex of anything, but confide4nt enough to send a message

1962 - Big Girls Don't Cry by The Four Seasons ****, ***** if somebody gonna whine about it. Those Four Seasons records were what they were, and this might be my least favorite of them, but as far as records go, I cannot find fault, ever, and I really dig how, maybe just for grins?, there a tape speed falsetto instead of a real one on that last verse. Hello Bobs Crewe & Gaudio!

1963 - Dominique by The Singing Nun ***** for the sonic memory of bizzarity, 0 * if I actually have to hear it. My mom got the record for some reason, Phillips iirc, some weird deluxe packaging with watercolor prints by the good Sister herself, not even The White Album went this indulgent in terms of peripheral packaging.

1964 - Mr. Lonely by Bobby Vinton *, which is a more fuquitous rating than 0* I got no use for this or anything it allows and/or suggests.

1965  - Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season) by The Byrds **** I'm more of an Eight Miles High kind of guy, but the sound of the intro on AM radio is still one of those vibrational imprints that appear to be permanent. But the song itself, outside of its immediate environment, borders on insipid whiny preacherness, moreso as the years go by. Oh well, sorry, Old Testament, can't have it all, Pop Song Coolness really not important in the grand scheme of things, right?. At least you killed Bobby Vinton for about a decade, thanks for that, Scriptures Of Vengeance!

1966 - Good Vibrations by The Beach Boys *********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

1967 - Daydream Believer by The Monkees *** In retropect, some Monkees songs really are classic Pop Records. This ain't one of 'em, but it's still fun to occasionally listen to Shorty Roger's orchestral chart in the background.

1968 - I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye ***** I still have a sof spor for Gladys' version, but this thing is a beast in its own jungle. Later Marvin moves me beyond words, but this is not that, proceed accordingly.

1969 - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye by Steam ** Weirdeset, sloopiest drum track ever, makes ofr a still WTF? listening experience. and the AMG bio of the band is a must-read, hey, only in the music business. Otherwise, 0*, almost as bad as Bobby vinton and Guy Mitchell. Almost.

1970 - The Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles  ********************************************************************************************************************************************************************* What Good vibrations did for cello, this one did for bassoon, Smokey Robinson & Brian Wilson, different beginnings, different outcomes, but same popsongrecord geniuses while they were.

1971 - Family Affair by Sly and the Family Stone ************ Not as impactful a record as sly ever had on the radio, but every bit as powerful of a one.

1972 - I Am Woman by Helen Reddy 0* I Am Not (Impressed). but can somebody dig up the footage of her summer replacement show where here guest were B.b. King & The MJQ? There's a jam session at the end while the credits roll, Helen is singing "Everyday I Have The Blues" with both of them. I Am Incredulaous (At The Temerity).

Bonus years, graduated High School in 1974

Birthday 1973 - Top of the World by The Carpenters -0*, yeah, it was all over by then.

Graduation Day (estimated @ 5.27.74) - The Streak by Ray Stevens. America Eats Its Young.

nk_theol_lyrics_funkadelic.jpg

Well i want to avoid working this morning so i'll do the 'first 18 years' thing. No ratings but i've commented where i've felt like it:

1980: Queen - Another One Bites the Dust 

1981: Christopher Cross - Arthur's Theme

1982: John Cougar - Jack & Diane (literally, literally my most hated song of all time. Are you a Cougar bro? Cool Bro.)

1983: Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart (lol)

1984: Stevie Wonder - I Just Called to Say I Love You (noice)

1985: A-Ha - Take On Me (noice)

1986: Janet Jackson - When I Think of You (don't know it)

1987: Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - Lost in Emotion (don't know it)

1988: UB40 - Red Red Wine (not a fan)

1989: Janet Jackson  - Miss You Much

1990: George Michael - Praying For Time (don't know it)

1991: Mariah Carey - Emotions 

1992: Boyz II Men - End of the Road

1993: Mariah Carey - Dream Lover 

1994: Boyz II Men - I'll Make Love to You

1995: Mariah Carey - Fantasy (catchy)

1996: The Macarena (lol)

1997: Elton John - Candle in the Wind 1997

1998: Barenaked Ladies - One Week (had a listen and my god i hate that style of vocals. There was a song that sounded like this in every teen movie in the late 90s/early 00s. I now know who to blame.)

BONUS YEAR FOR MORE MARIAH = 1999: Mariah Carey - Heartbreaker

Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men owned my birthday from 1991 - 1995

The Long and Winding Road by The Beatles, That's a nice title for my autobiography

By the way there's a feature telling us on which song we were conceived in my case it would be
Honky Tonk Women by The Rolling Stones (knowing my parents I kinda highly doubt it)

Followed by

71 Want Ads by The Honey Cone Never heard ofthe song, although I like what I heard

72 The Candy Man by Sammy Davis Jr.(Don't know it either)
73 My Love by Paul McCartney & Wings (Ditto, never listened much to Wings)
74 Billy Don't Be a Hero by Bo Donaldson and The Heywoods  (Still no cue)
75 Sister Golden Hair by America (Guess what ?)
76 Silly Love Songs by Wings (This one I know and actually like 3 stars ,  I'm born the same day than Paul McCartney  but why I end up so often with his songs

77 Dreams by Fleetwood Mac (If I don't know this one I should not be part of the board) 3 stars and a half)

78 Shadow Dancing by Andy Gibb (Reminds  me of Rock this town  part

...change of a dollar for the jukebox
Well, I put the cold rock into that can
But all they played was disco, man
Come on, baby, baby, let's get out of here right away

79 Hot Stuff by Donna Summer (always had a thing for Donna Summer three star and a half)

80 Funkytown by Lipps Inc (Heard it too many times) 3 stars

81 Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes this one I really liked although to be honest I never owned it Let's say 3 stars and a half

82 Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder  (Paul again, Stevie in cheesy mode, not my thing 2 stars)

83 Flashdance... What a Feeling by Irene Cara(What a bore , never cared much for it, clip was fun though especially for a getting horny young boy) 2 stars

84 Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper (At least I have a piece that became sort of a jazz standard ) Boys want to have some other kind of fun (2 stars and a half)

85 Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears (I digged that piece back  then (3 stars and a half)

86 On My Own by Patti LaBelle and Michael McDonald (Fuckin ballad duet with synths, why don't you just kill me (1 star just because I usually like Patti)

87 Always by Atlantic Starr (Don't know it and after hearing a bit don't want to know more about it)

88 Together Forever by Rick Astley (No wonder I don't care for my birthday no stars go Rick Roll yourself

89 I'll Be Loving You (Forever) by New Kids on the Block  (Getting actually worst) 0 stars again

PS Is it me or editing a post is a pain in the a.., try to copy and the text and I have to hit save to make it appear

Edited by Van Basten II

1951 - Cold, Cold Heart - Tony Bennett
1952 - I Went to Your Wedding - Patti Page (I'm not familiar with this one.)
1953 - St. George and the Dragonet - Stan Freburg (I had no idea that that was a hit single.)
1954 - Hey There - Rosemary Clooney
1955 - Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams
1956 - Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
1957 - Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
1958 - It's All in the Game - Tommy Edwards (which was recorded ca. 1952!)
1959 - Mack the Knife - Bobby Darin
1960 - Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters (with Ben E. King)
1961 - Runaround Sue - Dion
1962 - He's a Rebel - The Crystals (I don't remember this being a #1 hit.)
1963 - Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs (Is it any wonder the British beat groups were so popular so immediately in the US?)
1964 - Baby Love - The Supremes
1965 - Yesterday - The Beatles
1966 - Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees
1967 - To Sir with Love - Lulu

At that point I graduated from high school, and stopped listening to pop rock.

1951 - Cold, Cold Heart - Tony Bennett
1952 - I Went to Your Wedding - Patti Page (I'm not familiar with this one.)
1953 - St. George and the Dragonet - Stan Freburg (I had no idea that that was a hit single.)
1954 - Hey There - Rosemary Clooney
1955 - Autumn Leaves - Roger Williams
1956 - Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
1957 - Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley
1958 - It's All in the Game - Tommy Edwards (which was recorded ca. 1952!)
1959 - Mack the Knife - Bobby Darin
1960 - Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters (with Ben E. King)
1961 - Runaround Sue - Dion
1962 - He's a Rebel - The Crystals (I don't remember this being a #1 hit.)
1963 - Sugar Shack - Jimmy Gilmer and the Fireballs (Is it any wonder the British beat groups were so popular so immediately in the US?)
1964 - Baby Love - The Supremes
1965 - Yesterday - The Beatles
1966 - Last Train to Clarksville - The Monkees
1967 - To Sir with Love - Lulu

At that point I graduated from high school, and stopped listening to pop rock.

Am actually jealous, look at the crap I've ended up on my list.

Found a site that delivers it for UK and French charts

http://www.kakophone.com/kakoParade/FR/

Mine would be "In The Summertime" Mungo Jerry

and in France it be

"L'Amérique" i Joe DASSIN

Bilboard delivers the whole chart for the day

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Edited by Van Basten II

Bilboard delivers the whole chart for the day

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100

Thanks for that link.  Here's the Top 10 for my birthday:

Runaway - Del Shannon (up from #2 the previous week, switching places with this week's #2)

Blue Moon - The Marcels (probably the first version of a Gershwin song I ever heard)

Mother-In-Law - Ernie-K-Do

But I Do - Clarence "Stop Calling Me Frogman" Henry

On The Rebound - Floyd Cramer (never heard of this song, by Mr. Cramer or by any one else that I know of)

A Hundred Pounds Of Clay - Gene McDaniels (great voice, mediocre song)

I've Told Every Little Star - Linda Scott (I don't think I've heard this particular recording of this song)

You Can Depend On Me - Brenda Lee (ditto)

Take Good Care of Her - Adam Wade (who???)

One Mint Julep - Ray Charles (well all right!!!!)

Looking further down the chart I found such entries as:

13 - Dedicated To The One I Love - The Shirelles (always love me some Shirelles)

25 - Gee Whiz (Look AT His Eyes) - Carla Thomas

29 - Think Twice - Brook Benton

33 - Bumble Boogie - B. Bumble & The Stingers (several instrumentals made the charts back in those days)

40 - Trust In Me - Etta James (a classic)

42 (shooting up from #78 the week before) - Mama Said - The Shirelles (another classic)

57 - (Theme From) My Three Sons - Lawrence Welk and His Orchestra

58 - Bonanza - Al Caiola and His Orchestra

61 - Exodus - Eddie Harris

64 - African Waltz - Cannonball Adderley Orchestra (jazz made the charts!!!!!)