Ivo Perelman six new releases on Leo

David Ayers

I've got 30 albums with Ivo as leader. I personally love his work, but honestly his recent output is impossible to keep up with. And its put me off from buying them. There is just too much music to dedicate this much time and money to him. He does put together some of the most interesting collectives of artists/instruments of any artists. 

10 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

They pay for manufacturing and distribution. My understanding is that the artists pay for the recording and sideman fees, from Braxton on down to Heinz Geisser. 

Not the same from Braxton on down. Braxton provides a number of options for each project he thinks a label might like.

Minions have to deal with this (provided by a friend):

Dear xxxx,
This is what I can do (this is what I usually do):
1. You will supply the master. I shall produce your CD, promote and advertise.
I send out over 200 CDs for promotion to radio stations, magazines, writers, archives, etc.
2. I shall manufacture  1000 CDs. 200 will go for promotion, 50 pcs to distributors for promotion.
I shall ship you 500 CDs - they are your property, do with them whatever you want -
and pay shipping charges.
3. You will pay me £ 1650 (pound sterling).
4. You can register your music with any performing society but I shall be the publisher
of the music with the potential public performance royalties with the split 75% to you and 25% to me.
That means that if your music is played by a big and reputable radio-station you will receive
75% of the royalties. 
5. Within a year you will record and release another CD on the same conditions.

That's practically all. If you are interested ask as many questions as you need.
Best,
Leo

Edited by Chuck Nessa

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Not the same from Braxton on down. Braxton provides a number of options for each project he thinks a label might like.

Minions have to deal with this (provided by a friend):

Dear xxxx,
This is what I can do (this is what I usually do):
1. You will supply the master. I shall produce your CD, promote and advertise.
I send out over 200 CDs for promotion to radio stations, magazines, writers, archives, etc.
2. I shall manufacture  1000 CDs. 200 will go for promotion, 50 pcs to distributors for promotion.
I shall ship you 500 CDs - they are your property, do with them whatever you want -
and pay shipping charges.
3. You will pay me £ 1650 (pound sterling).
4. You can register your music with any performing society but I shall be the publisher
of the music with the potential public performance royalties with the split 75% to you and 25% to me.
That means that if your music is played by a big and reputable radio-station you will receive
75% of the royalties. 
5. Within a year you will record and release another CD on the same conditions.

That's practically all. If you are interested ask as many questions as you need.
Best,
Leo

Thanks Chuck - AB put it to me a little differently and what I recalled was that he self-financed his music/recordings/ensembles, but I may not have understood it clearly enough.

2 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Yet another nail in the coffin of the myth fondly preserved by some that buying recordings supports musicians. 

Also explains certain issues of quality control.

That said, it gets stuff out there.

It's hard to judge the deal offered and indeed probably not fair to pass too much comment as it only details some of the total costs. Nonetheless  it appears pretty transparent and clearly plenty of artists have signed up to Leo over the years. Presumably the catalogue has become so extensive because the financial risks are shared between artist and label. Can't imagine anyone making a boatload from any Leo release.

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

It's hard to judge the deal offered and indeed probably not fair to pass too much comment as it only details some of the total costs. Nonetheless  it appears pretty transparent and clearly plenty of artists have signed up to Leo over the years. Presumably the catalogue has become so extensive because the financial risks are shared between artist and label. Can't imagine anyone making a boatload from any Leo release.

I agree. As an artist this seems like a fair proposition, and a reasonable way to keep cost down while still getting a physical product.

Another fan of the Berger duet. I find I enjoy Perelman more in sessions which aren't standard quartets. I saw him duet with Shipp and it was great live, less so on CD I thought.

As for the Leo contract - I've always thought Leo artwork, almost without exception, looks like it was a skimp job. I also love the idea that a Leo release will get airplay on a "reputable radio station" to the extent it's worth bothering with