So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

17 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I think that is incorrect. There was another release (unofficial) from Fresh Sounds that was put out as from the Lighthouse. . . but was not. I think that is the item you are thinking of.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/live-at-the-lighthouse-fresh-sound-mr0001422739

Yes, that was what I was thinking of but I'm confused because I'm not sure what 3CD set the original poster is referring to other than the Fresh Sound release. Does that make sense? Thanks.

• Replies 79.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In 1996 Blue Note had released a 3 cd set of material from the nights at the Lighthouse--the originally released material and some additional.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4525810-Lee-Morgan-Live-At-The-Lighthouse

Then years later, this most recent 8 cd set was released of the entire material recorded.

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I think that is incorrect. There was another release (unofficial) from Fresh Sounds that was put out as from the Lighthouse. . . but was not. I think that is the item you are thinking of.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/release/live-at-the-lighthouse-fresh-sound-mr0001422739

Also my understanding.  In fact addressed in the 3CD set liner notes.

Amy Banks “In the Spirit” self-released cd

b02abe4d7af04763558e91b55e53aaa7b1dd6084

followed by

“Salena Jones sings Jobim with the Jobims” Vine Gate cd

Wow, I haven’t listened to this one in some time and that’s a shame.

f0be97356508afd7c2f0b852a28cf5fd72e4c967
Antonio loves the desert
Antonio prays for rain
Antonio knows that pleasure
is the child of pain
Edited by jazzbo

9 hours ago, felser said:

I own both the 3CD and 8CD versions, which each have different purposes for me.  2LP set was the first jazz album I ever bought in 1972.

image.jpeg.870a0dc87b1b128b39d635d2a1c1885f.jpeg

Still believe the original DoLP featured the strongest tracks .... which is - based on the quality of the recorded material - quite an achievement ....

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:
Mingus Big Band "Tonight at Noon"
[IMG]

Sue Mingus with guest vocalist Elvis Costello

[IMG]

Crazy, last night I had a dream that I got a call to play with that Mingus Ghost Band !!!!! 
Maybe because it was related to a thought I had those days to arrange Mingus´ piece "Three Worlds of Drums" for being played by my group. It would be natural, because Mingus rote this originally to be played by his own band which would have happened if Mingus would not have been struck by that disease that killed him. 
I also heard that his band (Walrath, Ford, Neloms, Richmond and maybe Eddy Gomez replacing Mingus on bass) continued to perform at Vanguard, when Mingus couldlnt handle the bass anymore. And that they played "Three Worlds of Drums",  but it was never recorded. So I thought this might be interesting. 

I hear Elvis Costello is or was a great number in UK in another kind of music genre. I don´t really know I only saw him once in a video sittin´ in with Chet Baker´s band, but don´t remember much about it, since I was concentrated only on the thinks the  Baker band played without guests. I think there was also a "Send in the Clowns" done by another great British singer, but while Elvis could do some American ballad singing astonishly well, that "Send in the Clowns" was just zero, really a mess........but it looked like the interpretist was very very drunk......

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273011946d3c2379d37c62628c4

Charlie Haden in his prime .... and a sort of rejuvenated John Handy shines  ....

Oh I remember that and had it, but kinda sold it when money was scarce, ya know musicians, you posess some record for short time. 
I think I remember "Chair in the Sky" was one of the things Joni Mitchell sang on that album "Mingus". It is possible it was composed by Mingus, one of those legendary very last compositions where he could not play even piano anymore and had to sing into a tape recorder. I think there was some contracts he had fulfilled composing that way. Incredible ! 
He was dead sick and still composed for the N.Y. Ballett "Pilobolus" and for an Argentian String Orchestra plus Jazz Quintet".......... incredible ! 

I have so many connections to Mingus´  music since he was my idol at a very early age, I even bought a bass because of him, I saw him live, he was there when it all started for me ! 

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1918687774.jpeg

I think when I started to "study" jazz, Tina Brooks still was alive but probably a "Forgotten Man". So I heard his name only when during a time I was inactive I heard about all those BN reissues and this one I purchased. Very very nice hard bop album in the way some others was like "Soul Station" by Hank, and so on.....

14 hours ago, felser said:

Also my understanding.  In fact addressed in the 3CD set liner notes.

I read the liner notes when the 8cd came out and totally don't remember the Blue Note 3cd release. I swear I hate getting old...

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

SFJazz Collective “Original Compositions and works of John Coltrane” disc 1 and 2

My copy is signed by Renee Rosnes in 2007.

e5ca503469c0a4e8a307c3bd68d6005a3592d7c2

Have you seen the latest with this group? For their 20th anniversary they are releasing.... wait for it... a 3LP Vinyl only release...... :(

25 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I read the liner notes when the 8cd came out and totally don't remember the Blue Note 3cd release. I swear I hate getting old...

Have you seen the latest with this group? For their 20th anniversary they are releasing.... wait for it... a 3LP Vinyl only release...... :(

Yes I saw that. Probably won't order that.

There are many many jazz alto, tenor and soprano saxophone players on the jazz scene. So it is particularly nice to have baritone sax player Jason Marshall provide us with this recording. Jason is one of the very few baritone sax players around today.

718tnVYFIhL._SY355_.jpg

3 hours ago, tranemonk said:

I swear I hate getting old...

Me too, except for the grandparent part.

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

Still believe the original DoLP featured the strongest tracks .... which is - based on the quality of the recorded material - quite an achievement ....

Agreed, especially "Absolutions", which is still mind-melting 50+ years later.

On 5/6/2024 at 9:56 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

Ny01MTk1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I really love the combination of Jackie Mclean with Kenny Dorham-they were on a roll with Matador and Inta Something and then this.  Rereading the booklet with the Tina Brooks Mosaic set, it explains that Jackie shelved this date because he was excited about his working group with Bobby Hutcherson and Grachan Moncur.

Edited by Jim Duckworth
clarity