• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, soulpope said:

Ny00ODMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Reminded via another forum`s Enja Records thread .... a moving trbute to the late Ed Blackwell .... btw both solo and accompanying work of Mark Helias is simply superb .... 

This must be great, I am a big fan of Ed Blackwell. Under his own leadership I only heard the stuff that is on Strata East which I like much more than the thing led by Wilbur Ware. I can listen for hours to good drumming.....

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Ricky Ford “Manhattan Blues” Candid cd

571263b54171ad490133b7706028a50915e66990

When was it recorded ? 
I saw Ricky Ford only twice in my live, it was with Mingus twice.....Ford, Walrath, Neloms, Richmond.....

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The Essence All Stars “Jackie’s Blues Bag–A Tribute to Jackie McLean” Hip Bop cd

Alto Saxophone – Abraham Burton (tracks: 7), Donald Harrison (tracks: 2), Justin Robinson (tracks: 1), Vincent Herring (tracks: 6)

Bass – Sebastian Whittaker

Drums – Idris Muhammad

Piano – LaMont Johnson

Soprano Saxophone – Branford Marsalis (tracks: 3)

Tenor Saxophone – Branford Marsalis (tracks: 1), Craig Handy (tracks: 2), Javon Jackson (tracks: 6), Joe Lovano (tracks: 4)

Transcription By – David Weiss

I find that Hip Bop manages to capture and reproduce certain characteristics of the classic Blue Note sound and production.

1b7c9c3616d19b58c3ec67b19b7eb0cde41c3810

If I only would have noticed the name of that guy from the states, whom I heard once. 
I led a jam session at Zwe in Viena and a very very heavy guy came down into the club, having an alto with him. He was so heavy that Mingus or Fats Navarro would have been lightweight compared to him.
I saw him with the alto and from the piano I waved him on stage and believe it or not.......: It was like if Jackie McLean would have been again among us. THAT ALTO SOUND, it was like if it was him, well there was also a bit of Dolphy and sure a lot of that unknown guy himself in it, but it was INCREDIBLE how great it was. I talked a litte to him later, but he was only "a tourist" as he stated and I never saw him again...... I would have liked to play with him very very very much.

Ricky Ford “Tenor Madness Too!” Muse cd

This one keeps revealing bits and pieces to me, in part because the muddiness of the sound causes me to seek out little details and in part because there’s a looseness to the performance that draws me in different directions.

[IMG]

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

When was it recorded ? 
I saw Ricky Ford only twice in my live, it was with Mingus twice.....Ford, Walrath, Neloms, Richmond.....

A quick search would have found the answer on either wiki or discogs.

March 4, 1989

Another Ricky Ford.
Ricky Ford “Tenor Madness Too!” Muse cd

This one keeps revealing bits and pieces to me, in part because the muddiness of the sound causes me to seek out little details and in part because there’s a looseness to the performance that draws me in different directions.

[IMG]

Followed by

How come Ray Bryant was never the big star some other jazz pianists were? He had it all.

Ray Bryant Trio “Now’s the Time” Signature/Dr. Jazz cd

With Tommy Bryant and Oliver Jackson, 1960

Red Norvo “Rock it for Me” HEP cd

Mildred Bailey is really great on these sides with Red. I keep being reminded of Billie Holiday when I hear Mildred, they both were pioneers of the microphone, allowing a more intimate, involving presentation.

23 hours ago, tranemonk said:

So what did you think? I saw Kris Davis live for the first time a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

It is a solid recording.  I saw the Borderlands Trio live several years ago.  They approach the piano, bass, drums configuration with a peculiar (in a good way) perspective.