• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's turning out to be a singers sorta day for me:

MC0xODM2LnBuZw.jpeg

Mark Murphy - Jazz Standards (32 Jazz, 2 CDs)
1998 compilation of Murphy's Muse sides

I'm a forum member who often "defends" 32 Jazz releases -- since the label regularly comes in for quite a bit of stick around here.  My line of thinking: It's better to have the music in some (any!) digital format, rather than the alternative of the music not being available at all, aside from the original LPs.  Without 32 Jazz, I'd wager that most of the music that Muse released would still be sitting idle on the shelves, inaccessible to listeners without turntables.  To my point, I can't think of any Muse releases that are available for streaming and downloads today that weren't first issued on 32 Jazz. ... And heaven knows that Concord hasn't done anything with the music since they acquired the catalog from Denon.

All that said, this Mark Murphy cover looks like it was designed by an inartistic ten year-old using PowerPoint for the first time.  Yeesh!  It's U-G-L-Y. ... As for the music, it's stellar -- although I would've preferred to have four of the original LPs in their original sequence, rather than this hodge-podge compilation.

Even so, I'm still glad that 32 Jazz existed for the short while that it did.  The timing was just right for me to discover heaps of terrific music, glorious stuff from the Muse and Atlantic archives.  Yes, you can argue with the packaging -- but you can hardly argue with the music. 

Edited by HutchFan