Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

That's a good one, Ken! :tup

Now playing:

ab67616d0000b273e297845ddfa03a9eba9cedb7

I really like that one. :tup

20 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

NjUtODI1MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Listening to disc 1 now, great sound, superb Mingus!

On my list.  :tup 

NP:

MzMtMjc1NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Mark Murphy Sings Nat "King" Cole ...and More (32 Jazz; originally Muse)
Disc 1

40 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

That LP was my introduction to Luckey Roberts. It is a shame that he did relatively little recording as a solo pianist.

Thanks be it was so well-recorded by David B. Hancock. Unless I'm mistaken, not too many pianists of this style and vintage had the good fortune to be captured with such fidelity when they were still in their prime, as  Luckey seems to me to be here at age 65. And what a composer as well as player he was! Check out the very modern "Inner Space," for one -- there's a forecast of Monk in there -- (unfortunately "Inner Space" doesn't seem to be on You Tube), "Railroad Blues," and  the dazzling "Nothin'"

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Thanks be it was so well-recorded by David B. Hancock. Unless I'm mistaken, not too many pianists of this style and vintage had the good fortune to be captured with such fidelity when they were still in their prime, as  Luckey seems to me to be here at age 65. And what a composer as well as player he was! Check out the very modern "Inner Space," for one -- there's a forecast of Monk in there -- (unfortunately "Inner Space" doesn't seem to be on You Tube), "Railroad Blues," and  the dazzling "Nothin'"

I agree that the recording quality and performances are outstanding. 

Jeanne Lee - Conspiracy 

a3615462275_16.jpg

Gunter Hampel - The 8th of July 1969

R-511313-1125771369.jpg

There are so many interconnected records from 1969 by players like Gunter Hampel, Marion Brown and Jeanne Lee. Did they form a touring group along the lines of Archie Shepp's North African visit group, the AEC, Frank Wright or CCC? Or was it just chance and chemistry that led them to record so many together?

Edited by Rabshakeh

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

There are so many interconnected records from 1969 by players like Gunter Hampel, Marion Brown and Jeanne Lee. Did they form a touring group along the lines of Archie Shepp's North African visit group, the AEC, Frank Wright or CCC? Or was it just chance and chemistry that led them to record so many together?

IIRC, Jeanne Lee was married to Gunter Hampel. 

16 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

IIRC, Jeanne Lee was married to Gunter Hampel. 

Yes, there are live albums. Hampel certainly had a stable of players he called upon and many of his bands were transatlantic. 

I think Hampel's catalogue is one of the most consistent and underappreciated of his era. And until recently he was still knocking them out, often featuring his and Lee's daughter in Lee's place.

Hampel doesn't make bad albums as far as I'm concerned.any good ones, some great and some average.

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jeanne Lee - Conspiracy 

a3615462275_16.jpg

Gunter Hampel - The 8th of July 1969

R-511313-1125771369.jpg

I enthusiastically reviewed "The 8th of July 1969" for Downbeat back in the day. Years later I got a nice note of thanks plus a DVD of Willem Breuker in action from bassist Arjen Gortner.

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, there are live albums. Hampel certainly had a stable of players he called upon and many of his bands were transatlantic. 

I think Hampel's catalogue is one of the most consistent and underappreciated of his era. And until recently he was still knocking them out, often featuring his and Lee's daughter in Lee's place.

Hampel doesn't make bad albums as far as I'm concerned.any good ones, some great and some average.

mjazzg, I've only scratched the surface of Hampel's discography.  Which of his albums are your favorites?