So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

11 minutes ago, mhatta said:

A good one.  I think Jimmy Forrest is terribly underrated.

This is my favorite Forrest.  It's interesting that Forrest rarely played "Night Train" live except this...

Ni05NzM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

What I find most interesting about the version of Night Train on this is how swaggering and mean it sounds. A totally different song to the hooky and hokey Oscar Peterson version.

Now playing:

Oliver Lake Featuring FLUX Quartet – Right Up On (Passin Thru, 2017)

R-10601796-1500741440-8738.jpg

Oliver Lake with a string quartet.

It is interesting to hear how Lake has adapted his normally very characteristic playing for the context. I would certainly not have guessed who was playing in a blindfold test.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 79.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

There's a lot there...not the least of which is almost moving the Louvin Brothers to Jamaica. Do you think that anybody had any idea about any of that?

Same thing with this one and "country rock"

Debbe's voice touches me in a place I don't want to understand....

The effect of her vocals comes across as double tracking, at least the way I'm hearing it. Pretty cool idea to do that. I'd say that's reminiscent of Jamaican vocal duo stylings. That first song here sounds more Latin influenced than Jamaican at least to me. 

23 minutes ago, mhatta said:

I think Jimmy Forrest is terribly underrated.

I agree! 

24 minutes ago, mhatta said:

This is my favorite Forrest. 

Ni05NzM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

It's my favorite Forrest too. :tup 

25 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

What I find most interesting about the version of Night Train on this is how swaggering and mean it sounds. A totally different song to the hooky and hokey Oscar Peterson version.

You're right: Oscar's version is very different -- but I still like his take on the tune.  Night Train is probably the Peterson trio album that I pull from the shelf most often.

That said, I know that Oscar Peterson talk is dangerous territory!  Like uttering the word "Marsalis," it usually invokes embittered grumblings -- both pro and con -- amongst us forum environs.  

So, with that, I bow out!!!  :P  

Less controversially, I'm listening to Jimmy Rowles -- with bassist Michael Moore:

51JHOk4rxcL.jpg

27 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

The effect of her vocals comes across as double tracking, at least the way I'm hearing it.

I don't think so...she just has a really husky, deeper voice...if she was double-tracked, you'd hear a bit of intonation/phrasing clash, that almost always happens on unison double-tracking.

I'm just fascinated by this pair (at least on their better records, of which there are a few, but not many) because...I recognize the accents, if that makes any sense to anybody. Gene Thomas was from Palestine, Tx, and Debbe Neville was from...wherever voices like that come from...

Dewey Redman - Living On The Edge (Black Saint, 1991)

Living_on_the_Edge_(Dewey_Redman_album).jpg

I'd like to know the story behind the track "Blues for JAM", a very straight and absorbing 1980s blues tune. It is a great tune, but it stands out. Was it intended as a 'bit' like Drudgery by Ayler? Feels like not. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I don't think so...she just has a really husky, deeper voice...if she was double-tracked, you'd hear a bit of intonation/phrasing clash, that almost always happens on unison double-tracking.

I'm just fascinated by this pair (at least on their better records, of which there are a few, but not many) because...I recognize the accents, if that makes any sense to anybody. Gene Thomas was from Palestine, Tx, and Debbe Neville was from...wherever voices like that come from...

Oh, not saying it was technically double tracked, but with her singing along with Gene it gave the illusion of being double tracked. Which I guess is what all singing duos would sound like but their voices meshed really well. 

56 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Oh, not saying it was technically double tracked, but with her singing along with Gene it gave the illusion of being double tracked. Which I guess is what all singing duos would sound like but their voices meshed really well. 

They did indeed1 It's the type of thing that people claim is from the Everly Brothers, which yeah, sure, but they didn't invent it, if you know what I mean. But they did bring it into the Pop consciousness.

I like looking out, but I like looking in as well. And those accents...that's what I heard before I realized that there was life past the cradle, so to speak.

At least Gene's was...I was well into adolescence when I heard one even remotely like Debbe's...ot at least realized that I was hearing one...

The Conte Candoli All Stars - Little Band Big Jazz (Crown, 1960)

C03267E8-45AE-4AFA-8535-0A33CF8660F2.jpeg

Black Art Jazz Collective - Ascenscion (High Note, 2020)

FB303A46-B298-4D71-9762-86B9C2A90403.jpeg

Part of my ongoing project to fritter away the short time I was given on this earth by at least experiencing the work of Young Lions and co at different stages.

It is hard to put a finger on why this record doesn’t work even on a craftsmanship / retro genre work level (with which I have no problem). 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Cameron Graves - Planetary Prince (Mack Avenue, 2017)R-9884699-1488016470-9047.jpg

It's a West Coast Get Down record from 2017 with Thundercat on bass and Kamasi Washington on tenor, but much more aligned with conventional jazz than I'd expected.

Washington's actually pretty good in a 1970s sort of way here, without the theatrics of his leader works, and I like the trumpeter, Philip Dizack, who I don't otherwise know.

Obvious 70s "spiritual jazz" influence on the soloists, but the tunes are a bit rockier and younger, and there's a nice interplay between Graves on acoustic piano and Thundercat on bass, so it's not just a throwback.

Worth a do.

Edited by Rabshakeh