• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

717PE+BTlNL._SS500_.jpg

and

61zS6b85z0L._SS500_.jpg

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Superb .... btw in case you don't own it already the Mosaic Set is mandatory ....

Hmm.  I haven't plopped for the Mosaic -- assuming the highest-flying stuff from those gigs saw the light of day on the A&M Horizon and Artists House releases.

Maybe some day.

Edited by HutchFan

39 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I hadn't listened to that disc in a long while.  Oh man, "Filthy McNasty"!  Hard Bop par excellence:) 

Actually had a family sing-a-long to the "Fil-thy Mc-Nasty" part of the head on a looong vacation drive many years ago. The kids loved it!

But they loved "We all live in a can of pork and beans" a lot more, probably because the momentum didn't get broken up by a bunch of solos.

Kids, what are you going to do with them?

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Actually had a family sing-a-long to the "Fil-thy Mc-Nasty" part of the head on a looong vacation drive many years ago. The kids loved it!

But they loved "We all live in a can of pork and beans" a lot more, probably because the momentum didn't get broken up by a bunch of solos.

Kids, what are you going to do with them?

That's awesome. :D 

On 7/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, ghost of miles said:

Quite happy to have discovered earlier this week that these two titles had recently been reissued in Japan:

51iwYmHYE8L._SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

s-l400.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. I ordered them too. Don't know what the second was, but I took Live and Quintet in Chicago. With Trane.

10 hours ago, miles65 said:

I find Peter Losins Parker (and Miles) site very helpful 

www.plosin.com/milesahead/main.aspx

It's strange how low profile many of the players on this are. Given that the arrangements allow the horns to intrude in on Parker with their own solos are various points, I had expected to see a list of very familiar names.

It is an interesting session. Much rawer than Verve with orchestration would lead one to expect.

"Classic Black&White Jazz Sessions" 11 cd box set by Mosaic Records.

This fascinating handsome set has a wonderful booklet and I've been waiting for its release and to have it in my hands for what seems a long while. Listening to disc 1, which starts off with solo recordings by one of my favorite pianists, Art Hodes.

https://www.mosaicrecords.com/product/classic-black-white-sessions/