• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After hearing Mundell Lowe on a Richie Kamuca LP, I decided toĀ give this CD a spin:

OTUtMzkyNC5qcGVn.jpeg

Mundell Lowe - Souvenirs: A Tribute to Nick Ceroli (The Jazz Alliance)
Eight of the twelveĀ cuts were recorded in 1977 (and originally released on the Dobre label); the remaining four were made in 1992

Ā 

59 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Going to see the movie Friday night, actually, which is why I pulled the soundtrack off the shelf. A local pop-up arthouse film collective is showing it along with Lee Marvinā€™s Point Blank as part of a 60s noir series.

First heard the album in the early 70s, a buddy picked it out of the cutout bins. Didn't care for it that much at first, but kinda warmed to it over the years. Never really got there for me.

But - seeing it in the context of the film...it works very well there. And the movie itself if a delight (if you can use that word for what is not at all a happy movie).

So, definitely not one of those soundtracks that stands well on its own, imo.

"The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Studio Sessions" Mosaic Records, disc VI

MI0002187576.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I'm on the final disc of the box set on this revisit. . . been thinking of which is my favorite disc. I think it's either this one, or the fifth one. Great music and sound!

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

61lLf5zSqKL._SY580_.jpg

Really wonderful to have this 2 CD document of the earlier version of DizzyĀ“s Big Band. Well, Monk was replaced shortly afterwards by John Lewis, but I think that edition was the one which is also on "JivinĀ“ in Bebop", the fine film.Ā 
This was shortly before Dizzy got Chano Pozo and included more afro-cuban material, like "Tin Tin Deo", Manteca" and so on.....

Julius Watkins Sextet (Blue Note)Julius_Watkins_Sextet.jpg

It took me a while to discover records like this one: Those mid-50s hard bop records with denser arrangements and some very slight third stream influences by the likes of Golson, Gryce and Pettiford. A bit of a dead end, and slightly lower profile than the more high powered stuff with Philly Joe Jones or Art Blakey, but I find that they dominate my hard bop listening these days.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

Ā 

Now playing:

ab67616d0000b273d7a48da49eab2f8eea02d94c

And there we are.