NC0xODE5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Good stuff!  :tup 

Agreed!! 😁👍

On 2/13/2023 at 6:33 PM, Peter Friedman said:

th-936249142.jpeg

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

The title of this one above  is familiar to me with another artist

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43224558wz.jpg

This title is also used for a collaboration of Candoli & Geller with the Frankfurt Radio Bigband

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/42582073rn.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Dexter Gordon “Espace Cardin 1977” Elemental Music cd

What a band!

I also had purchased this for the personnel, since - like Our Man in Paris some years earlier - this would be a vintage bop band since Al Haig after Bud Powell sure was one of the key pianists of the bop era. 

But something on this turned out to determinate me to give it just one spin. I don´t know what had happened, but though I love loud and powerful drummers, Kenny Clarke somehow sounds very rough here and maybe he had had a few cups or something else. 

And somehow on that tune "A La Modal" , it´s not Al Haig´s music. He always was a stone bebopper and it reminds me a bit of the occasions where Sonny Stitt was with Miles and sounds funny on "So What" since he just didn´t have the style of modal jazz on his focus. 

More strange is the fact that as late as 1977 Dexter already had formed his own quartet in N.Y and in his last active years he seldom worked with other surroundings than his own quartet. 

Like on "Our Man in Paris" the album ends with a trio piece. While Bud does "Like Someone in Love" (which he played too often and became a cliché in his later years), Haig does a very fine version of "Midnight" where he is much more in his element than on the quartet pieces. 

So I have some mixed feelings about this record and didn´t spin it more often.....

9 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Mingus' Mysterious Blues

Mi04Mzg1LmpwZWc.jpeg

When was this recorded ? The cover photo seems to be more from the 1964 Europe tour with Dolphy. I´m not sure but it is possible that some Mingus music I have could have been from those Candid sessions.

My wife bought me last year a Mingus CD that is called the "New Port Rebels" with old masters like Roy Eldrige and Jo Jones, and to my big surprise there was at least two or three other sessions with Mingus´ own group with pieces like "Love X" "Ora decubitus" (or somehow like this) , and a long title name "All the Things ......and something with Sigmund Freud" , and so on. I think it was mentioned that those were Candid Sessions. 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I also had purchased this for the personnel, since - like Our Man in Paris some years earlier - this would be a vintage bop band since Al Haig after Bud Powell sure was one of the key pianists of the bop era. 

But something on this turned out to determinate me to give it just one spin. I don´t know what had happened, but though I love loud and powerful drummers, Kenny Clarke somehow sounds very rough here and maybe he had had a few cups or something else. 

And somehow on that tune "A La Modal" , it´s not Al Haig´s music. He always was a stone bebopper and it reminds me a bit of the occasions where Sonny Stitt was with Miles and sounds funny on "So What" since he just didn´t have the style of modal jazz on his focus. 

More strange is the fact that as late as 1977 Dexter already had formed his own quartet in N.Y and in his last active years he seldom worked with other surroundings than his own quartet. 

Like on "Our Man in Paris" the album ends with a trio piece. While Bud does "Like Someone in Love" (which he played too often and became a cliché in his later years), Haig does a very fine version of "Midnight" where he is much more in his element than on the quartet pieces. 

So I have some mixed feelings about this record and didn´t spin it more often.....

When was this recorded ? The cover photo seems to be more from the 1964 Europe tour with Dolphy. I´m not sure but it is possible that some Mingus music I have could have been from those Candid sessions.

My wife bought me last year a Mingus CD that is called the "New Port Rebels" with old masters like Roy Eldrige and Jo Jones, and to my big surprise there was at least two or three other sessions with Mingus´ own group with pieces like "Love X" "Ora decubitus" (or somehow like this) , and a long title name "All the Things ......and something with Sigmund Freud" , and so on. I think it was mentioned that those were Candid Sessions. 

The Mingus is from two sessions in 1960 and has Eldridge & Jo Jones, although the last track is a drum solo from Danny Richmond. It's excellent. 

54 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this good?

The Mary Halvorson/Jamaaladeen Tacoma release was recorded in 2014 (recently released on Jamaaladeen Tacuma's bandcamp page), is well recorded, and is quite interesting/enjoyable. It is a bit short (29 minutes total) and it is a CDR (not specified on the page), so the bandcamp download might be the better choice.

21 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That looks very interesting

It is a very interesting duet recording.

Jean-Michel Proust “Until it’s Time for You to Go”

Even if his two volumes “For Barney” weren’t enough of a clue Proust definitely was influenced and seems to adore Barney Wilen. That’s okay with me–I adore him too.

This is a nice French-flavored quintet session.

6ba3f20c2905755a270eb90a7720f734f029c017