Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis with Shirley Scott Smokin’

cd from this box set:
[IMG]

Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis - tenor saxophone
Shirley Scott - organ
Jerome Richardson - baritone saxophone, flute, tenor saxophone
George Duvivier - bass
Arthur Edgehill - drums

I too am listening to this nice set further encouraged to do so by (much appreciated) Organissimo contributors and by a quote I came across in a Henry Threadgill interview:

Eddie Lockjaw Davis, I have to say, is probably the most original saxophone player I ever heard in my life. I’ve listened to all the different saxophone players, but I’ve never heard anyone play the saxophone like that. It’s the most convoluted style of playing that I ever heard in my life. You can hear a lot of players emulate Charlie Parker, Coltrane, all kinds of players. I’ve never heard anyone that can emulate this man, or anyone who can approach the saxophone in this way. It’s a strange style of playing, and the harmonic language is very different. His way of formulating sound on the instrument is extremely different; I don’t know what that was about. If you listen to Eddie Lockjaw Davis (most people haven’t listened to him, I don’t think), you will see that the notes don’t come out of the saxophone the way they do when other people play the saxophone. It’s very convoluted. It’s the most original thing I ever heard in my life. The most original.

I'm a big Lockjaw fan, he was a true original and exploring his work is a fascinating endeavor. 

Right now

Cassandra Wilson “Blue Skies” Winter&Winter cd

It’s been too long since I spun a Wilson disc. Correcting that right now by pulling this from the shelves and loading the transport.

80f7fe3c9829c7edc2eecaa6713db6e44f52c9c9

Original JMT Records cover:

f54839396af0fad92d8cade4f22d583f566971fa

391a1fda7b8e099ceb46f00ebb4ac77689d0dcb2

Edited by jazzbo

13 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I too am listening to this nice set further encouraged to do so by (much appreciated) Organissimo contributors and by a quote I came across in a Henry Threadgill interview:

Eddie Lockjaw Davis, I have to say, is probably the most original saxophone player I ever heard in my life. I’ve listened to all the different saxophone players, but I’ve never heard anyone play the saxophone like that. It’s the most convoluted style of playing that I ever heard in my life. You can hear a lot of players emulate Charlie Parker, Coltrane, all kinds of players. I’ve never heard anyone that can emulate this man, or anyone who can approach the saxophone in this way. It’s a strange style of playing, and the harmonic language is very different. His way of formulating sound on the instrument is extremely different; I don’t know what that was about. If you listen to Eddie Lockjaw Davis (most people haven’t listened to him, I don’t think), you will see that the notes don’t come out of the saxophone the way they do when other people play the saxophone. It’s very convoluted. It’s the most original thing I ever heard in my life. The most original.

I was shooting the breeze with Scott Robinson, an individual player himself, last year and he raved about how no one sounds like Lockjaw.

13 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Johnny Griffin claims (and Shelley Carroll confirms) that Jaws corked up some of his keys so they didn't open, which in turn facilitated his self-created fingering system.

I've tried to get a handle on exactly how this worked from videos, but so far haven't seen anything. And yet the story persists.

The only player I've heard who has some kind of a handle on some of it is James Carter.

All I know is that Threadgill's statement rings absolutely true and insightful.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Johnny Griffin claims (and Shelley Carroll confirms) that Jaws corked up some of his keys so they didn't open, which in turn facilitated his self-created fingering system.

I've tried to get a handle on exactly how this worked from videos, but so far haven't seen anything. And yet the story persists.

The only player I've heard who has some kind of a handle on some of it is James Carter.

All I know is that Threadgill's statement rings absolutely true and insightful.

I read this too, didn't remember it came from JG but it stuck with me and I always think about it when I listen to his albums. 

5 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Helmut Brandt Combo - Berlin Calling (Sonorama)

Its nice to find a german Helmut Brandt fan at the 'Organissimo' forum.

H. Brandt was one of the very important german jazz musicians of the Cool Era. His most famous composition is "Berlin Caling"  first issued on an early Bertelsman Vinyl.

My good friend Klaus Scholz (living in Berlin) and me have exchanged a lot of Brandt mateial which was never issued officially but are  recordings from the german radio.

We have also his official recordings which are listed below:

45201327px.jpg

45201330ex.jpg

45201331tj.jpg

58 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Its nice to find a german Helmut Brandt fan at the 'Organissimo' forum.

H. Brandt was one of the very important german jazz musicians of the Cool Era. His most famous composition is "Berlin Caling"  first issued on an early Bertelsman Vinyl.

My good friend Klaus Scholz (living in Berlin) and me have exchanged a lot of Brandt mateial which was never issued officially but are  recordings from the german radio.

We have also his official recordings which are listed below:

45201327px.jpg

45201330ex.jpg

45201331tj.jpg

With which of these would you start?