Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7172rHH3dyL._UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

This arrived yesterday after I paid less than 7 bucks after tax with free shipping.  I already had the moving Eastbourne concert from the Centennial box, but there's plenty of other stuff that's new to me.  The Reader's Digest material is fun and hearing Duke's vocals on 'Moon Maiden' puts a smile on my face.  The three short solos from the party are an interesting snapshot of that time.  Seriously, to be at a party with Willie 'The Lion' Smith and Duke and have Duke play the piano?   I can't even imagine it.  Having the bonus Tanglewood material to complete what I have on the giant box is nice.  I also appreciate having the Duke introductions to the Tanglewood and festival material.  

Edited by Justin V

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

The used vinyl copy of this that I found years ago contained a newspaper clipping from The Boston Globe dated Tuesday, June 30, 1981 reviewing Herbie's set at the Berklee Performance Center the night before. Here's an excerpt from the review.

One of the hindrances to enjoyment was that most basic problem: set length.  Hancock's nine-song set lasted only 75 minutes and, at $13.50 a ticket, that doesn't rank high on the music-for-money scale.  "I seriously thought it was intermission," said one disgruntled fan after the show.  "A lof of people thought it was intermission."

31 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

$13.50 a ticket

Which translates to about $45 in today's dollars.  Plus the cost (money, time, energy) of getting there, parking, etc.  And it's all over in a little more than an hour.  

Edited by felser