Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Primary

Mosahiko Togashi with Steve Lacy and Kent Carter. Good stuff, although it would have been great if it was just a Togashi-Carter duo. Lacy's participation makes it more "ordinary". Great sound.      

On 4/18/2023 at 12:45 AM, T.D. said:

Yes, I have quite a few recordings w. Miller as sideman.

There's this 3-CD collection featuring him as leader,

NC0xNDAyLmpwZWc.jpeg

which is scarce as hen's teeth. Michael (on behalf of Scott aka freejazz) sold one on this forum, but I snoozed and lost out. 😢

It's five albums of which four (with the exception of "Down South") are available from Ogun on bandcamp: https://ogun3.bandcamp.com/music . The music is OK, not spectacular.    

On 4/18/2023 at 10:40 AM, jlhoots said:

I still don't get what this has to do with Trump or MAGA both of which I hate.

My point  with the Trump comparison is that when it comes to politics, we are critical of people who make judgements with insufficient evidence or information. To me there are particular kinds of music, historically based, that require a certain level of knowledge in order to understand how they sound and why they sound that way. I’m sorry if I offended people who liked Moran’s recent things, but the James Reese Europe stuff in particular is so musically misguided that it just needs to be said. Just as I wouldn’t try to judge a classical performance, these old black forms require a more comprehensive understanding of how music was made in those days and why it was made the way it was made 

And this is  not some kind of abstract intellectual point of view, because the original music is still there, still available, and not to listen to it is like preferring Pat Boone to little Richard. The difference is that dramatic.

Edited by AllenLowe