Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, T.D. said:

That's one I happen to own (collection in this general area is not extensive). I'd like to get more recordings with Harry Miller as leader but they're not easy to find.

I think this is Miller's only studio outing as a leader:

MC0yNTg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Harry Miller's Isipingo - Family Affair

OTOH, it seems like Miller worked with (nearly) everyone on the UK jazz scene.  So, fortunately, his recordings as a sideman are plentiful.  

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think this is Miller's only studio outing as a leader:

MC0yNTg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Harry Miller's Isipingo - Family Affair

OTOH, it seems like Miller worked with (nearly) everyone on the UK jazz scene.  So, fortunately, his recordings as a sideman are plentiful.  

Yes, I have quite a few recordings w. Miller as sideman.

There's this 3-CD collection featuring him as leader,

NC0xNDAyLmpwZWc.jpeg

which is scarce as hen's teeth. Michael (on behalf of Scott aka freejazz) sold one on this forum, but I snoozed and lost out. 😢

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

There's this 3-CD collection featuring him as leader,

NC0xNDAyLmpwZWc.jpeg

which is scarce as hen's teeth. Michael (on behalf of Scott aka freejazz) sold one on this forum, but I snoozed and lost out. 😢

Wow.  I had no idea about that music, that set!   Thanks for the heads-up.  :tup :tup :tup 

While downloads are less than ideal, it does look like Ogun offers (some of?) this stuff digitally.  

8 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

👍

👍

👍

👍

Now:

Primary

Very much of its time ( 1974), but the Herd is in great form and Gregory Herbert (RIP) is heavily featured here. He was a a superb tenor player. 

I saw Woody Herman and his Thundering Herd in 1979 and he looked exactly like on this foto. White suit, a band of mostly young musicians, and he featured some Chick Corea compositions. Remarcable for an old man from the past. He didn´t use an acoustic bass, he had a Fender bass player in the band. Woody´s a bit old fashioned clarinet was somehow out of place in that surrounding, I think they did an oldtime stuff "Caledonia" too. 

It was the last act at an international festival, I was more into the more modern bands like Elvin Jones, Joe Henderson, Sonny Rollins, Ron Carter, but as a finale, it was quite a nice thing. 

The other time I saw Woody Herman was a more conservative combo with three tenor players (Al Cohn, Buddy Tate, Scott Hamilton) , this time with an acoustic bass and a bit more clarinet solos by Woody and a very fine vocal by Woody (I got the world on a string). 

I was never the biggest fan of Woody Herman, but sure I like his music.

The stuff I spin mostly is a thing from Monterey with some big stars featured, favourites of mine like Diz, Woody Shaw, Stan Getz and Slide Hampton I think. 

In 1983 he did an interview with Gudrun Endress, it was a hard time for him, something with tax depths, he was quite bitter and frustrated. But he also made a quite dumb statement like "he can be a tough German, he can slap a bandmember in the face and then turn around and smile at the audience", He should not have said that, but ...... I always have a smile when I listen to him, though sometimes it sounds a bit too "white", especially in the 40´s, where I prefer the big bands of Diz and Billy Eckstine, they swing better and have a more hip sound for that time.....

17 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm sorry but that's just b.s. in itself. Some of us enjoy music for how it sounds to us and don't need a whole heap of history to do so.

I'm sure all your peerless research gives you the right piss on other musicians, but possibly only in your world. You seem intent on setting yourself above so many others, both musicians and listeners, it's tiresome 

There, that's off my chest now. I'm off to listen to some Jason Moran and be socially edified (whatever the fk that actually means) whilst doing so

So it’s a bad idea for me to offer a strong opinion, but it’s OK for you? Attacking what you think is my narrow little world? Well, it’s not really that narrow. I’ve sold a lot of books and my work has been circulated pretty widely, more widely than your post. If you don’t know the music, you shouldn’t talk about it. It’s the Trumpies version of political opinions. Lots of ideas with no information. that older musical world is complicated and ingenious. It’s like all of Jazz, you can’t just listen to a little snippet, and then become an expert.

17 hours ago, jlhoots said:

I suppose that's satire or sarcasm - otherwise I have no idea what it means.

It’s the irony of it all… In the name of African-American heritage, we present watered down versions of that heritage. It’s like a fear of facing the real music, which is  just nasty and complicated.

Edited by AllenLowe

4 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

So it’s a bad idea for me to offer a strong opinion, but it’s OK for you? Attacking what you think is my narrow little world? Well, it’s not really that narrow. I’ve sold a lot of books and my work has been circulated pretty widely, more widely than your post. If you don’t know the music, you shouldn’t talk about it. It’s the Trumpies version of political opinions. Lots of ideas with no information. that older musical world is complicated and ingenious. It’s like all of Jazz, you can’t just listen to a little snippet, and then become an expert.

Absolutely nothing wrong with strong opinions just how they're expressed with such high-handedness. And yes, I was guilty of being disrespectful too and I'll apologise for the way my points were made, the language used, but not their essence.

I didn't refer to your world as narrow at all, just referred to "your world" so that's either wilful misinterpretation to set up a straw man or an error. I'll take it as an error.

I agree with your view of "Trumpies" and their lack of understanding of the basics but that wasn't really my point as I was talking about music and yes, it can be enjoyed without knowing the history. It may be enjoyed more or differently with that knowledge but that doesn't deny an enjoyment to those that don't engage more deeply.

As for "If you don’t know the music, you shouldn’t talk about it." that's just arrant nonsense. Will we be setting exams for everyone and only letting them talk about music when they achieve a certain grade? Sounds like a great idea...

Edited by mjazzg

51 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

It’s the irony of it all… In the name of African-American heritage, we present watered down versions of that heritage. It’s like a fear of facing the real music, which is  just nasty and complicated.

I still don't get what this has to do with Trump or MAGA both of which I hate.

Now streaming:

NTMtNTM3MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Sam Rivers - The Quest (Red, rec. 1976)
with Dave Holland & Barry Altschul

Terrific.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

😍"Adoracion"😍 ....

Yeah!  That whole album is AMAZING.  The cut that really slayed me today was "Condiciones que Existen"!

Sentido is probably my very favorite Eddie Palmieri -- along with Vamonos Pa'l Monte.  Impossible to choose between those two.  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan