• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terri Lyne Carrington - TLC and friends (CEI Records). 16 year old Carrington leading a band of nobodies :).

I don't get why someone hasn't re-released this one. Other than the iffy Billy Joel cover tune ("Just The Way You Are"), this is pretty good stuff and well deserving of a wider audience. Even that Joel cover has Coleman going to town on it. Have fun trying to find an affordable copy of this LP these days.

Primary

Secondary, 2 of 4

Morelenbaum2/Sakamoto “A Day in New York” Sony cd

I just love the three cds I have of Jacques and Paula Morelenbaum with Ryuichi Sakamoto. Beautiful music and sound!

Cello – Jaques Morelenbaum
Guitar – Luiz Brasil
Percussion – Marcelo Costa
Piano – Ryuichi Sakamoto
Vocals – Paula Morelenbaum

496617a4ccd859c0aec6721257d0e725c121e059

Dexter Gordon “The Montmartre Collection” Black Lion/Muzak Records Japan cd 2

80555bcc187ff033a294e0a87659087135a473ac

The Black Lion recordings never have sounded better to me than on these Japanese releases from several years ago.

Dexter Gordon with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Albert Heath.

Idris Muhammad "Legends Of Acid Jazz" Prestige cd

Featuring Clarence Thomas on tenor! (No, I don't think it's that Clarence Thomas.)

Reissues  Black Rhythm Revolution! (Prestige 10005)and  Peace and Rhythm (Prestige 10036).

ODMtNzU0MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Edited by jazzbo

619Htsgew6L._UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

On the eve of a New York trip that'll include seeing the great George Cables at the Village Vanguard, I'm listening to this and recalling my first trip to New York 15 years ago, during which I sat near Grissett through two fiery Tom Harrell sets at the Vanguard.  I don't know if Grissett still plays with Harrell at all, but he really is a fine pianist who deserves more attention.

Edited by Justin V

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Idris Muhammad "Legends Of Acid Jazz" Prestige cd

Featuring Clarence Thomas on tenor! (No, I don't think it's that Clarence Thomas.)

Reissues  Black Rhythm Revolution! (Prestige 10005)and  Peace and Rhythm (Prestige 10036).

ODMtNzU0MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Give me Clarence Thomas and Bill Crow over Clarence Thomas and Harlan Crow any day. :w

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Dexter Gordon “The Montmartre Collection” Black Lion/Muzak Records Japan cd 2

80555bcc187ff033a294e0a87659087135a473ac

The Black Lion recordings never have sounded better to me than on these Japanese releases from several years ago.

Dexter Gordon with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Albert Heath.

Yes ! This was my first Dexter Gordon LP. In those early 70´s years, those Black Lion albums were a good entry to listen to typical "Americans in Europe". 
The Dexter Album, after Dexter´s solo on "Blue´n Boogie" with Diz in 1945 was the first Dexter under his own name and still years before I saw him live in the late 70´s. 
Yes, the sound was great, you hear Albert Heath´s cymbals so fine. That´s really a quite fast version of "Like Someone in Love" done in Ab ! And Kenny Drew is very fine on those tunes. 

I have several of those old Black Lion LP´s : Bud Powell " The Invisible Gage" , Coleman Hawkins (featuring Bud !) : "Hawk in Germany", Don Byas "Anthropology", Philly Joe Jones "Trailways Express" , all of them are great and have great sound quality. 

57 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

Might be a gas, Joe Henderson and Al Foster are among my favourites on their instruments. 
Charlie Haden might be interesting as long as it is group playing. I love his playing with "Free"  Musicians but as soon as he starts to solo at least for me it becomes quite boring. But sure others might see it opposite, it´s a question of taste.