Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“Monk Big Band and Quartet in Concert” Columbia/High Density Tape Transfer cdr

This is an interesting version of this material. Here’s the source according to the “label”

Recording Info: Transferred from a Columbia 4-track tape

It’s the content of the original LP and only the original LP, but it includes the edits removed for the original LP. Sound is quite nice.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Good one. This is one the Young Lion micro-heresy records I actually enjoy.

Makes a good pairing with D'Angelo's "Voodoo".

41JxkMLiSGL._UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

Saw the Brad Mehldau Trio last night here in Montreal, which reminded me of this record. Great show (both last night and this one, back in 1989). 

Edited by Simon8

51k2DgRdIlL._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jp

Previously unknown to me, Talbert had sideman such as Lucky Thompson, Dodo Marmarosa, Art Pepper, Hal McKusick, Al Killian, Claude Williamson, Gene Roland and Babe Russin on these sessions.  Had I not recently looked up Sea Breeze Jazz, I may have overlooked this one when scrolling through eBay.

1 hour ago, Justin V said:

Previously unknown to me, Talbert had sideman such as Lucky Thompson, Dodo Marmarosa, Art Pepper, Hal McKusick, Al Killian, Claude Williamson, Gene Roland and Babe Russin on these sessions.  Had I not recently looked up Sea Breeze Jazz, I may have overlooked this one when scrolling through eBay.

Check out Talbert's "Bix Duke and Fats"

4 hours ago, Justin V said:

Excellent! 😁👍

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

20+ years ago Talbert licensed a number of his dates and reissued them on cd. "Bix Duke Fats" is one of them. I see new copies on Amazon for about $10 delivered.

41FA0N1ST2L.jpg

Can also recommend this one 

Talbert, Tom    Tom Talbert Orchestra "Duke`s Domain"    1992    Sea Breeze    2058

8 hours ago, mjzee said:

71j-pN%2BvooL._AC_SX679_.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&

I´ve seen Ed Cherry on so many occasions with Diz, or great records he made with Diz.

The last time I saw him live was a few years ago, it was a Dizzy Gillespie Memorial band lead by Diz´s bassist John Lee , it had Candy Finch on drums, the son of Mario Bauza on percussion (or was it the son of Machito ?) , and trumpet and alto sax. Such a great concert.....

41KJS87V74L._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jp

I was being too selective and fleetingly considered skipping this one at a mere $2, thinking I already had a ton of Pres.  Thank goodness I grabbed it.  This is top-shelf, well-recorded Pres, with his full-bodied sound jumping out of the speakers.  Holy moly.  Am I nuts to say this is essential Pres?

4 minutes ago, Justin V said:

41KJS87V74L._UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jp

I was being too selective and fleetingly considered skipping this one at a mere $2, thinking I already had a ton of Pres.  Thank goodness I grabbed it.  This is top-shelf, well-recorded Pres, with his full-bodied sound jumping out of the speakers.  Holy moly.  Am I nuts to say this is essential Pres?

The Kansas City Five selections without Lester Young are appended to the end of this release and may well be some of my favorite Buck Clayton.