Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't really know Irabagon other than MOPDTK.  Are there any of his records you'd recommend?

This is the only one I have of his as a leader, I also have him on drummer Rudy Royston's "303" album and can recommend that.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:02 PM, dougcrates said:

LTI4NTQuanBlZw.jpeg

I thought I would give this one more chance before parting with it but I still can't get into it so out the door it goes.  

I, too, parted with it but probably would like it again ..... so it goes.

It's a pretty wild album. Wilder than most ECM albums released after that one.

Various – The Passion Of Charlie Parker

R-10800081-1504524691-8318.jpg

Interesting record. I'm not sure why I've only just heard of it.

For those who don't know it, it is the jazzish band from David Bowie's final record Black Star, featuring Ben Monder and a saxophone player called Donny McCaslin, with the addition of Craig Taborn, playing behind commercial jazz vocalists, singing specially written songs arrived at by setting lyrics about Charlie Parker's life to well known tunes associated with Parker, with very generous solo time for the musicians. It's quite successful. McCaslin is a bit limited, but he does well enough on most of the tracks. The lyrics are good, and the singers, most of whom I don't like at all in their normal roles, sound very silky and sumptuous.

Weird how they went to all the effort with the concept, though, but didn't bother to put any money whatsoever into the cover artwork. It just looks like a generic cheapo Charlie Parker record.

Edited by Rabshakeh

3 hours ago, rostasi said:

081301.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, rostasi. I'm unfamiliar with Landscape, never even heard of them.  I just streamed a few cuts from their first album.  Their music seems vaguely reminiscent of Brand X's stuff from around that same time -- but Landscape's vibe is more self-consciously "synth-y" (both literally and figuratively) than Brand X's.  That intentional artificiality makes Landscape's music sound uncanny -- which, in turn, makes their music feel very contemporary.  Good stuff. :tup

Edited by HutchFan