Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Thanks for sharing this, rostasi. I'm unfamiliar with Landscape, never even heard of them.  I just streamed a few cuts from their first album.  Their music seems vaguely reminiscent of Brand X's stuff from around that same time -- but Landscape's vibe is more self-consciously "synth-y" (both literally and figuratively) than Brand X's.  That intentional artificiality makes Landscape's music sound uncanny -- which, in turn, makes their music feel very contemporary.  Good stuff. :tup

Their single ‘Einstein a go go’ was even a big hit over here back in the day and I remember seeing it on TV on the weekly Top Of The Pops !

Trombonist Pete Thoms used to feature on quite a few pop hits of around that time (early 80s) too e.g. with Thomas Dolby.

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Their single ‘Einstein a go go’ was even a hit over here back in the day and I remember seeing it on TV on the weekly Top Of The Pops !

Interesting.  Jazz -- or perhaps "jazz-adjacent" music -- sometimes pops up in unexpected places.  🙂

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Interesting.  Jazz -- or perhaps "jazz-adjacent" music -- sometimes pops up in unexpected places.  🙂

Never thought of it as jazz at the time but undoubtedly jazz influenced. I think their follow up, ‘Norman Bates’, made the charts too. 

Lyricon player John L. Walters did some later work with Ian Carr I think in a more obviously jazzy style.

Edited by sidewinder

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Never thought of it as jazz at the time but undoubtedly jazz influenced. I think their follow up, ‘Norman Bates’, made the charts too. 

Lyricon player John L. Walters did some later work with Ian Carr I think in a more obviously jazzy style.

The first album is all instrumentals. Closer to jazz, if not jazz per se. But still similarly catchy, kitschy, and interesting (all at once) as the hit songs -- which I've listened to just now.

9 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Art Pepper - Thursday Night at the Village Vanguard

Thursday_Night_at_the_Village_Vanguard.jpg

It is possible that I have this one somewhere. Then I had bought it mostly because of the rhythm section. 
I think I remember on this one is a composition titled "My Friend Stan" or so.... and I was somehow puzzled since this, like some other Art Pepper compositions from his last years is just too long. 
I think the longest theme stuff I soloed over is something like "Cheek to Cheek" with 72 bars, but this one seemed to have hundreds of bars, I couldn´t solo over such a long theme. 
I have some of those "Widow´s Taste" Pepper CDs  and some stuff is fine, but sometimes he repeats too many phrases. 

As his alto sound, he tries to have a very piercing sound and seems to want to outdo Jackie McLean but I love Jackie´s Sound and his natural soul. Sometimes he tries to get modal like Trane... 

42 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

It is possible that I have this one somewhere. Then I had bought it mostly because of the rhythm section. 
I think I remember on this one is a composition titled "My Friend Stan" or so.... and I was somehow puzzled since this, like some other Art Pepper compositions from his last years is just too long. 
I think the longest theme stuff I soloed over is something like "Cheek to Cheek" with 72 bars, but this one seemed to have hundreds of bars, I couldn´t solo over such a long theme. 
I have some of those "Widow´s Taste" Pepper CDs  and some stuff is fine, but sometimes he repeats too many phrases. 

As his alto sound, he tries to have a very piercing sound and seems to want to outdo Jackie McLean but I love Jackie´s Sound and his natural soul. Sometimes he tries to get modal like Trane... 

My Friend John. There is the Coltrane modal thing. The influence is not always great (the last track) but it is still a very good record.

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Their single ‘Einstein a go go’ was even a big hit over here back in the day and I remember seeing it on TV on the weekly Top Of The Pops !

Trombonist Pete Thoms used to feature on quite a few pop hits of around that time (early 80s) too e.g. with Thomas Dolby.

Which I had forgotten and now having trouble unhearing it in my mind

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Which I had forgotten and now having trouble unhearing it in my mind

Ha !  I have the exact same issue.... but with ‘Norman Bates’. 😂

https://youtu.be/zthChjUe1II

In the deep recesses of my memory I seem to recall Landscape doing a BBC Radio 3 ‘Jazz In Britain’ slot a few years before their chart hits. No doubt they didn’t do ‘Einstein’ or ‘Norman’.

Edited by sidewinder