So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

16 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Give it a listen.  It's very good -- at times excellent -- but not a typical jazz record. 

I understand that Trovaioli was primarily a film composer (although Rugantino was a live show), and you can tell.  I imagine that anyone who enjoys Pieranunzi's take on Morricone's or Fellini's music would like it.  (I do.)  But this is a shade more arranged than those albums.

Cued up on Tidal now

• Replies 80.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

54 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

New 17" MacBook Pro up and running. My wife will get the 14" when repaired. Best I’ve ever had. . . wish I hadn’t had to spend the money.

Congratulations! Sadly, I'm having to seriously consider updating my 13 year old machine by buying a Mac Studio after the new OS is introduced this October. I love what I have so much that an alternative is to raise my OS from El Capitan to Sonoma (or at least, Ventura) using an OpenCore Legacy Patcher instead of getting a new computer. I dread the change, but it's becoming a needed thing lately.

Edited by rostasi

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

081601.jpg

Dekunobo:
Keisuke Matsui : electric guitar, 'cello, pedals
Graham MacKeachan : double bass, plastics

For a moment I hallucinated Keiko Matsui and did a double take.😄

MDAtNDk4MS5qcGVn.jpeg

MjYtODY0OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Ambivalent about the ezz-thetics reissues (especially incomplete ones), but they're easier to obtain than the original recordings

Edited by T.D.

NC03NDY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ni05OTA2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Airshots of some really good bands here, with really good books that lean into bop more often than not.

Also, some really good, occasionally extended Prestastic solos by Allen Eager. As well, a few brief but unmistakeable contributions from Warne Marsh. And Buddy is always swinging (sic). He sings here and there, and dies not suck. 

Models here are Basie and Herman. People with an interest in Post WWII big bands navigating the dance/bop waters would be well-advised to check out these recordings! If you only want one, get the first one. The second one fleshes things out, but is not the near-essential document that the first one is.

Again, some really good bands here!