• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ODYtNzcyOC5qcGVn.jpeg

ODktMzU1My5qcGVn.jpeg

Even though I already own the JoeHen Milestone box . . . 

If Craft ever reissued Power to the People on vinyl, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  Same with Multiple.  I think they're amazing records -- the two jewels of his Milestone years.

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

The new SACD version of Miles Davis "Complete Live at Plugged Nickel" 8 cd box set from Japan, a Tower Records exclusive, arrived last night via DHL. I listened to disc 3 last night and am listening to disc 1.

I know many of us were hoping that the tonal balance of this version would be improved. Well. . . I don't think that it really is. Listening to the SACD layer there are subtle improvements in the depth of the sound stage and some instances of dynamic contrast improved, but the overall "tone" of the music remains basically the same to my ears. I'm a bit challenged as I have been listening to the second (gold disc) Japanese version of this release for years and the separate 2 LP versions from Japan and in the "Complete" box that are based on the US Wilder remix. My copy of the original US box set is somewhere in my storage unit fifty miles away. When others get the set and compare directly there will be a moreo definitive comparison I am sure.

Anyway: I love the music, and the subtle improvements SACD brings are nice to listen for and hear.

Let me know if the sound is good enough to hear a 7-year old near the stage.

11 hours ago, bresna said:

Now spinning Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy from the Mosaic box. I need something to lift up my spirits. I got a Covid booster yesterday, my first Moderna shot, and it's pretty much wiped me out. Next time I'll make sure to stick with the Pfizer shot, which hasn't really affected me at all over 4 shots.

image.jpeg.c6c845d2604005bc7def2e47e56b3371.jpeg

Thanks. I've gotten all Pfizer so far w/o bad side effects and am avoiding Moderna because I know a number of people who had rough experiences. BTW, I had my first shingles shots over the past year (just turned 66), and those (it's 2 installments) really knocked me for a loop.

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

17 hours ago, bresna said:

Now spinning Hank Mobley - A Caddy For Daddy from the Mosaic box. I need something to lift up my spirits. I got a Covid booster yesterday, my first Moderna shot, and it's pretty much wiped me out. Next time I'll make sure to stick with the Pfizer shot, which hasn't really affected me at all over 4 shots.

image.jpeg.c6c845d2604005bc7def2e47e56b3371.jpeg

I love Hank Mobley, his phrasings, his sound, everything. I think I learned a lot from him even if I´m only a piano player. 

But somehow I can´t listen to all of his records very often. Many of his lesser known 50´s records mostly from 1957 with their similar titles (Hank Mobley Quartet, Hank Mobley Quintet, Hank Mobley All Stars, Hank, Hank Mobley) are quite similar, the all are great little records but you won´t listen to them every day, +

Same with his later BN´s from the mid sixties on. They all start with a more or less "boogaloo" first tune. 
This is a great record, no question, but if I might keep only one from that mid sixties period I´d keep "Dippin´". But too many of the mainstream mid sixties records of BN ran in the same groove. Starting with "Sidewinder" most started with a boogaloo in the hope to land another hit....

20 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Sun Ra, “Haverford College, January 25, 1980” Modern Harmonic cd.

A live solo recital on electric piano. Quite interesting.

9c32d9d1404f16e5b77b648c20840683f05f1390

That´s interesting, didn´t know about it. 

I saw the Sun Ra Arkestra 2 month later and they were one of the highlights of the festival. Ra also played a lot of solos, but on acoustic piano. One of the tunes was Lady Bird into Half Nelson, and Ra played an almost Tatumesque solo introduction, great ! And his stride on the Fletcher Henderson tunes......., he really could play and most important, the Arkestra always was a gas......
I was a fan of him since my early youth, when someone gave me the ESP disk "Nothing Is". 

I’m listening to disc 4 of the new Japanese SACD set of Miles Davis “Complete Live at Plugged Nickel” 8 disc set.

Followed by. . . .

Keith Jarrett “Koln Concert” ECM Japan SHM-SACD UCGU-9059

Wow. It’s been some time since I played this music, and in fact I don’t think I ever played this SHM-SACD version before since buying it. This music was some of the rare music that I loved that I could share with my late first wife. . . she would listen for a while and most times fall asleep, peacefully and deeply. And I would finish up the cd the only one awake.

For a long time I was unable to play this because it brought me grief. That has passed now.

This is an album that I can almost play back fully in my head. It was the second Jarrett LP set I bought, first being “Bremen/Lausanne” which I got after discovering Jarrett on “Miles at Fillmore” and “Live/Evil.” What a DIFFERENT Jarrett was revealed on the solo albums.

I still have my LP version of this, I should play it again soon. And I kept a gold cd version from ECM Japan, and this one. . . wow. The sound. Detailed resonance and sustain, each note attack. . . lovely.

This is fantastic music in my opinion. One day it might be interesting to hear another master pianist interpret these pieces. There’s a timeless quality to it all.

[IMG]

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I love Hank Mobley, his phrasings, his sound, everything. I think I learned a lot from him even if I´m only a piano player. 

But somehow I can´t listen to all of his records very often. Many of his lesser known 50´s records mostly from 1957 with their similar titles (Hank Mobley Quartet, Hank Mobley Quintet, Hank Mobley All Stars, Hank, Hank Mobley) are quite similar, the all are great little records but you won´t listen to them every day, +

Same with his later BN´s from the mid sixties on. They all start with a more or less "boogaloo" first tune. 
This is a great record, no question, but if I might keep only one from that mid sixties period I´d keep "Dippin´". But too many of the mainstream mid sixties records of BN ran in the same groove. Starting with "Sidewinder" most started with a boogaloo in the hope to land another hit....

Where we differ here is that I love the boogaloo stuff. While "Soul Station" is my favorite Mobley date, his boogaloo dates would come out way in front of his late 50s hardbop dates, which are a bit repetitive. In particular, I rarely spin his two Prestige dates as I find them bordering on boring.