Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I have the LP and the CD.  You're right: There are two cuts on the LP -- "In a Mellotone" and "Summertime" -- that don't appear on the CD.  Likewise, there are five cuts on the CD that aren't on the LP.  Also, each format features different track sequencing.  It's a jumble!

That said, I think both the AQ and sequencing are preferable on the CD.  As an album, the CD just works better.

As for Shirley Scott organ playing on the Live at Rick's LP:  I think that's mistake in Discogs.  OTOH, I haven't heard the LP in a while, and my memory isn't what it used to be.  ;) 

Hmm.  I'm not familiar with Truly Wonderful.  . . . Might need to look into that.  

Like I said there is a ton of music from that gig, some tracks are repeated but for all I am sure of they could be different performances entirely. I was listening to Truly Wonderful and it is indeed truly wonderful.

18 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now playing:

MTAtMzY2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Blue Mitchell - S/T (Mainstream, 1971)
with Jimmy Forrest (ts), Walter Bishop, Jr. (p), Larry Gales (b), and Doug Sides (d)

:D 👍

Now on the TT

Two long tracks with a lot of nice blowing

EmAr Cy Records [Japan] EXPR-1007 - Clifford Brown All Stars rec. 1957  with

Clifford Brown (tp) / Max Roach (dr) / Walter Benton (ts) /  Kenny Drew (p) /  Curtis Counce (b)

46504308ui.jpg

46504310ha.jpg

Paul Desmond “Bridge Over Troubled Waters” A&M/Verve cd

a06582d3fa566d313e27fbf93e21c25f98328c32

This one has grown on me over the years. I hear a bit of distortion on this "Verve Original" transfer at times. I may try another pressing one of these days. Also, like many "Verve Originals" this sounds better with the Phase "Reversed" on my DAC.

Edited by jazzbo

Miles Davis “Big Fun” Columbia 2-LP, Side A, “Great Expectations”

Lucy got a call that will take a spell so I’m slipping this in, my OG vinyl copy that still sounds great. I was fascinated with these 2 LPs for years after their release–grabbed this as soon as it was out. Just such a fusion of all that was going on in the music around me at the time.

5215552b642ac4b57a2750e70bd53c7a54473ebd

12 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette “Bye Bye Blackbird” ECM cd

59059db127759efedad233efbb72bfa507914b3b

That´s a fine record. And together with Dave Liebman´s "Drum Ode" the only ECM I have. 

But I like Keith most when he was with Miles around the time of "Live Evil". This was just the times where this early kind of electric jazz with Fender Rhodes and Yamaha Organ was invented. 

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis “Big Fun” Columbia 2-LP, Side A, “Great Expectations”

Lucy got a call that will take a spell so I’m slipping this in, my OG vinyl copy that still sounds great. I was fascinated with these 2 LPs for years after their release–grabbed this as soon as it was out. Just such a fusion of all that was going on in the music around me at the time.

5215552b642ac4b57a2750e70bd53c7a54473ebd

I also liked those 2LPs albums of Miles and as being from that generation (from 1972-75 I was a teenager from 13 - 16 years and a Miles freak from the very first moment on (both acoustic and electric). So it´s natural I bought all of them as soon as they came out, Live Evil, Miles in Concert, Get Up with It, Dark Magus, Agharta, Pangheea it was). And those caricatures on the covers, like you have them on "On the Corner", "Big Fun", "Miles in Concert", they aren´t even exagerated. That´s how WE looked like, how we dressed.....
On that album is also "Ife". The song I fell in love with when I heard it live : Miles with Dave Liebman, Lieb on flute.....wonderful moments......, very similar to the way it is on "Dark Magus"......

Jyoti – Mama, You Can Bet!R-17729407-1615100799-4227.jpg.3aa8dd12192b919a609af6c96b69cf7d.jpg

I did quite enjoy this record even if in it's own way it is as piously retro as a Wynton Marsalis album (something which I also quite enjoy). I'm not sure I would listen to it again. Overall, it is fine. Expectation meeting. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

Dexter Gordon “Night Ballads, Montreal 1977” Uptown cd

Someone was asking about this on the Hoffman board days ago and so I found it in the shelves. Sound is okay, and Dexter playing ballads is always a great listen. Early morning here is a little like night, or as close to it as I usually can get in listening time. The mood is right.

20f89d61f33e2b2698f9cc6e35a2cc278aa3a0aa

16 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Now on the TT

Two long tracks with a lot of nice blowing

EmAr Cy Records [Japan] EXPR-1007 - Clifford Brown All Stars rec. 1957  with

Clifford Brown (tp) / Max Roach (dr) / Walter Benton (ts) /  Kenny Drew (p) /  Curtis Counce (b)

46504308ui.jpg

46504310ha.jpg

👍

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jyoti – Mama, You Can Bet!R-17729407-1615100799-4227.jpg.3aa8dd12192b919a609af6c96b69cf7d.jpg

I did quite enjoy this record even if in it's own way it is as piously retro as a Wynton Marsalis album (something which I also quite enjoy). I'm not sure I would listen to it again. Overall, it is fine. Expectation meeting. 

That's a big favourite of mine.

Could you expand on the "piously retro" description a little, I'm intrigued.