Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I've only just come across this post. It's an example of why I keep coming back here, such enthusiasm and passion but also maybe most importantly here, knowledge and a willingness to openly share all of the aforementioned. It made me laugh out loud, definitely not at it but with it, in sheer delight 

I don't know the Sato album but I am a fan of his and I don't know the Ives either but I'm going to seek them both out now. Thanks @HutchFan

Thank you, @mjazzg!  I think you'll enjoy hearing the music.  :tup

NP:

51859Xw2r-L.jpg

Disc 1 - The Many Facets of David Newman

22 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Any initial impressions that you'd care to share about the music or book, @sidewinder?

I'm very tempted to order it.  ;)

The music is old BBC broadcasts of a very high quality. The Michael Garrick recordings are particularly good but both CDs are full of good material.

Only just started on the book - each composer gets a chapter which provides a comprehensive overview of their career. In most cases, this is the first time these artists have been given such a complete overview in print. For example, the Mike Westbrook chapter brings his story up to the present day with insightful coverage of recent projects. Heining I think knew most of his subjects, so was able to add insight based on discussions with the 6 and/or family or musical colleagues.

Jazz In Britain's initial hardback print run (sold out) was 500 copies. Amazon print on demand will be paperback, without the CDs.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Jazz In Britain's initial hardback print run (sold out) was 500 copies. Amazon print on demand will be paperback, without the CDs.

That's a bummer.  I guess I missed the boat, music-wise.  :( 

Oh well.  At least there's the book.

Edited by HutchFan

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That's a bummer.  I guess I missed the boat, music-wise.  :( 

Oh well.  At least there's the book.

Worth getting for the book. Plus easier to pick up, if you are in the US.

I see that Richard Morton-Jack has just listed this one for advance orders. Looks like sort of a 'Galactic Ramble' covering the British Jazz stuff.

Labyrinth_Mock_Up.jpeg

I've spent enough recently so will likely pass !

There isnt much "Traditional Jazz" found  here at Organissimo.

But here is an interesting crossection from a festival in Stuttgart 1984 representing some leading groups from Germany in that style.

46711019xf.jpg

46711016so.jpg

20 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

Indeed 4 top albums! All here on vinyl.

The "Trombones" appeared also with this cover and different title:

46711091tc.jpg

46711093hq.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Excellent book and 2CDs of music (which was new to me - rare broadcasts). I believe the original print run is now sold out but Amazon will be doing print on demand, without the CDs.

I preordered from Dusty Groove, which is much cheaper US shipping, and got filled yesterday. Perhaps they have a few copies...I haven't checked, but they don't usually get large quantities of such things "Just Sold Out".

4 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I preordered from Dusty Groove, which is much cheaper US shipping, and got filled yesterday. Perhaps they have a few copies...I haven't checked, but they don't usually get large quantities of such things "Just Sold Out".

Thanks for checking, T.D.   Looks like it'll be the on-demand book for me.