• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, Gheorghe said:

RE: Hommage to Charlie Parker

I got this from my wife for my birthday on december 14th, 2 days ago. 

Again, she picked up somethin ´  from names she heard thru me. Dizzy of course, ableit Diz is not so dominant on this album. 

The first tune is wrong titled as "Birk´s Works" but actually it is Bird´s "Quasimodo" and Diz is not playin. It´s a battle between Jackie McLean and Phil Woods, but also very fine Stan Getz. 

The ballads "Warm Valley" and "Old Folks" are wonderful. Max drum features of course, Cherokee again with those great saxophonists.

Maybe I would have expected more from "Con Alma", it´s only trumpet with piano in a rubato style. How much I love to play that tune with a fine quintet, I just can´t think about that tune without drums. 

Percy Heath has a wonderful feature on "Yardbird Suite". I like his sound also on the fast tunes. It´s very boppish, not them long notes, it´s more percussive style like Curley Russell would have done it, really fitting to the fast bop numbers......

Download.jpg

Like your comments  and have the CD too. Its on A&M records

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

Yesterday I listened to this great cd, Joe Chambers “Samba de Maracatu” on Blue Note

8eade57b42701bbe7795ab143d3eb5c6e42c74c2

And followed it up with

Walt Dickerson Quartet (featuring Sun Ra on piano and harpsichord} “Impressions of a Patch of Blue” MGM/Verve Elite cd.

9b4e705a62604a833f411aa0a7844988f7a57a5f

The two were a great back to back listen. I played the Dickerson Quartet cd again this mornning. What a fascinating album, with wondeful engineering that brings dynamics from low to high clearly into play and which gives the bass a perfect place in the mix over all.

And now

Miles Davis “Someday My Prince will Come,” Blu-Spec CD2 2023 2 cd package, disc 2, the Mono version. Sounds wonderful, Kelly’s piano so resonant and lyrical. And Mobley!

c9e16c8659f54427feb6de2402a3b33d86522525

Sober yet revealing (album made during lockdown !).
I've only listened once to this album, ... to be more precise i am listening at the moment.
Never been a Nine Inch Nail fan but an ambient fan i am ...
I've been searching for 'a particulair style' for some time after finding some pieces i liked but it took a while to find something satisfieing, accomplished, matured, rounded, art related, and masterfully crafted.

I sometimes write poems and the feeling after accomplish something sublime, close to perfect, is a strange thing but beautiful nevertheless. 

Some tracks are downright poetic like a flickering brightness fighting an endlessly growing darkness.

Mini-masterpiece !

R-14992749-1585230506-2911.jpg

Edited by Referentzhunter