So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

21 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Toshiyuki Miyama & His New Herd / Masahiko Sato ‎- Yamataifu (Toshiba, 1972)
Otherworldly sonic vistas that owe as much to contemporary classical music as they do to jazz.

Great record.

Also worth investigating: Four Jazz Compositions Based On Japanese Classical Themes.

• Replies 79.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Masahiko Sato, Masami Nakagawa, Sabu Toyozumi, and Toshiyuki Miyama & New Herd - Nayuta Gensei (Columbia JP, 1976)
More "Star Trek" meets Sun Run at the far edge of the galaxy.  As on Yamataifu, all compositions are by Masahiko Sato, but I think the cumulative impact of this album may be even MORE impressive.

11 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Also worth investigating: Four Jazz Compositions Based On Japanese Classical Themes.

Yes!  I've heard that once or twice -- but I need to circle back 'round to it.  :tup

31 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Masahiko Sato, Masami Nakagawa, Sabu Toyozumi, and Toshiyuki Miyama & New Herd - Nayuta Gensei (Columbia JP, 1976)
More "Star Trek" meets Sun Run at the far edge of the galaxy.  As on Yamataifu, all compositions are by Masahiko Sato, but I think the cumulative impact of this album may be even MORE impressive.

Yes!  I've heard that once or twice -- but I need to circle back 'round to it.  :tup

Stop it you two, I can't keep up 😭 

More Satoh to investigate...

Right now a young trumpeter I am beginning to really love, Jason Palmer. “Songbook” on AYVA cd

Jason Palmer (tp), Ravi Coltrane (ts), Greg Osby (as), Warren Wolf (vib), Leo Genovese (p & Fender Rhodes), Matt Brewer (b), Tommy Crane (d)

hqdefault.jpg

ae804da9929ca63f0cadb97c632746bc--palmer

Edited by jazzbo

R-3039925-1430067811-4328.jpg.0c70a109a820eacd1317bbb38f8b417c.jpgWardell Gray – Memorial Volume 1

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Right now a young trumpeter I am beginning to really love, Jason Palmer. “Songbook” on AYVA cd

Jason Palmer (tp), Ravi Coltrane (ts), Greg Osby (as), Warren Wolf (vib), Leo Genovese (p & Fender Rhodes), Matt Brewer (b), Tommy Crane (d)

hqdefault.jpg

ae804da9929ca63f0cadb97c632746bc--palmer

I'm a fan too. 

Now playing:

Ni01ODE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji (Victor, 1972)
Terumasa Hino (tr) with Takao Uematsu (ts), Kiyoshi Sugimoto (g), Mikio Masuda (p, el p), Yoshio Ikeda (b), and Motohiko Hino (d)

I have a U.S. version of this superb LP, issued as part of Catalyst's short-lived "International Jazz from Japan" series.  But I'm not in my music room right now.  No turntable.  So I'm streaming it.

23 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Now playing:

Ni01ODE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Terumasa Hino Sextet - Fuji (Victor, 1972)
Terumasa Hino (tr) with Takao Uematsu (ts), Kiyoshi Sugimoto (g), Mikio Masuda (p, el p), Yoshio Ikeda (b), and Motohiko Hino (d)

I have a U.S. version of this superb LP, issued as part of Catalyst's short-lived "International Jazz from Japan" series.  But I'm not in my music room right now.  No turntable.  So I'm streaming it.

One I bought after your enthusiasm for it here,  so thank you.  Now, those Satohs...

Just wrapped up my workday.  Now unwinding with a jigger of bourbon and this Braz-jazz classic:

Mi00ODAyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Azymuth - Light as a Feather (Milestone, 1979)
Far Out UK CD reissue

47 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

One I bought after your enthusiasm for it here,  so thank you.

Always happy to share the love!  :tup

Edited by HutchFan

Ni0xMDI5LmpwZWc.jpeg

CD compiles two of Coltrane's Prestige LPs: Traneing In and Soultrane, both tenor-plus-rhythm dates with Red Garland, Paul Chambers & Art Taylor

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

IS592243-01-01-BIG.jpg

Indian 78s from 1903-1949.

Pretty incredible collection/music and very surprising/interesting sonics.

Bought the digital version from Bandcamp (due to cost considerations) and was delighted that it came with a PDF of the 244 page book! 

Looks fascinating.  Both music & book.

Edited by HutchFan