• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started the day off with the breezy sounds of trombonist Vittor Santos “Renewed Impressions/Renovando As Consideracoes” cd on Adventure Music. I love this cd!

663497ee545f3115c81d76f802bf7ce73edd0b2d

Followed by the Verve Acoustic Sounds series Japanese SHM-SACD of “Duke Ellington & John Coltrane.” Sublime sounding disc, music that I have cherished a few decades.

Followed by
“Chico Buarque Songbook Vol. 6” Lumair cd

6b1dbaaf18e128bc00c45cc447adfd392e6f1fdc

Bill Evans “The Sesjun Radio Shows Vol. 1” Solid Records Japan cd

From the All Music Guide:

[i]The first five tracks are from a duo tour with the phenomenal bassist Eddie Gomez, who spent over 11 years with the pianist. The absence of a drummer (Marty Morell was evidently not a part of this tour, though he played with Evans into 1974) gives Evans a more intimate sound; Evans seemed to achieve an incredible E.S.P. playing with the talented Gomez.

Following a buoyant opener, “Up with the Lark,” the duo’s moving setting of Evans’ bittersweet, lyrical “Time Remembered” is a reminder of the pianist’s total mastery of ballads, as is his equally touching “The Two Lonely People.” There are plenty of fireworks in the pianist’s “T.T.T. (Twelve Tone Tune)” as the two musicians use his dissonant theme as a jumping-off point for brilliant improvisations. The 1975 set adds drummer Eliot Zigmund, who spent four years with Evans. In these trio selections, the pianist introduces each theme alone, though it is a diverse five-song set. Evans’ upbeat “Sugar Plum” showcases the leader extensively, with the rhythm section coming in several minutes later. There were several modern pop songs that drew the pianist’s attention, including Bobbie Gentry’s “Mornin’ Glory” (which incorrectly lists Glen Campbell as co-writer), which Evans transformed into a potent jazz ballad. Evans’ “T.T.T.T. (Twelve Tone Tune Two)” is even more demanding than its predecessor, with the trio navigating its pitfalls with ease in a wild, breezy performance.

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Started the day off with the breezy sounds of trombonist Vittor Santos “Renewed Impressions/Renovando As Consideracoes” cd on Adventure Music. I love this cd!

663497ee545f3115c81d76f802bf7ce73edd0b2d

Followed by the Verve Acoustic Sounds series Japanese SHM-SACD of “Duke Ellington & John Coltrane.” Sublime sounding disc, music that I have cherished a few decades.

Followed by
“Chico Buarque Songbook Vol. 6” Lumair cd

6b1dbaaf18e128bc00c45cc447adfd392e6f1fdc

The Coltrane-Ellington thing I remember I got from Serena, she has that thing she just read the interpret and knew she somehow heard me mention him, and bought it. Funny she knew the name "Coltrane" better then "Elllingon". 

The interesting thing is, Ellington is one of my favourite composers and he is compin so fine on the tunes, but other than Monk if he does his or elseone´s composition, I prefer to hear Ellingtons composition played by others. Same like a Dizzy with Basie LP I also got from her. She knew who´s Diz (or better: his cheeks) but had´n heard of Basie, and maybe the instrumentation quartet with Basie is quite thin. 
But they are some of the most interesting albums, and the most beautiful of those star-combinations is another one I got from her "Coltrane-Hartman" with that fantastic bop era balladeer.....