• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2023-03-10-174014.jpg

This band was really hot at said time .... special mention goes to Buster Williams ....

Agreed!!

👍:D

On 1/19/2024 at 6:08 AM, dougcrates said:

NS02Mzk2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Original LP

:D 👍

On 1/17/2024 at 11:56 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Various – The Exciting Battle J.A.T.P. Stockholm ’55

R-9144955-1475551072-9777.jpg

👍 :D

Starting the day off with the second cd I’ve bought of Nelson Angelo. This guy captivates me. He has an amazing arranging gift and he has more than 50 years of experience singing and writing. And . . . he retains a goofiness that is very endearing alongside his mastery. I love his guitar playing!

Nelson Angelo “Times Square”

9f0251ae61a9c3c80389935c615a8c43306fe1b4

On 10/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, HutchFan said:

As for Shirley Scott organ playing on the Live at Rick's LP:  I think that's mistake in Discogs.  OTOH, I haven't heard the LP in a while, and my memory isn't what it used to be.  ;) 

Finally dug out the LP which thankfully I had retained since any transfer is still MIA, and you are right - Shirley Scott plays piano, it's a Discogs error.  Going to be listening to this later today and I do want to follow up on a set of all of these recordings from Rick's, but supplemented with one from two year's before - Al Grey Jazz All-Stars at Traveler's Lounge, which is the same group supplemented by Pete Minger on trumpet.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Starting the day off with the second cd I’ve bought of Nelson Angelo. This guy captivates me. He has an amazing arranging gift and he has more than 50 years of experience singing and writing. And . . . he retains a goofiness that is very endearing alongside his mastery. I love his guitar playing!

Nelson Angelo “Times Square”

9f0251ae61a9c3c80389935c615a8c43306fe1b4

Are you familiar with this collaboration with Joyce? Tremendous. https://www.popmatters.com/nelson-angelo-joyce-review

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

Are you familiar with this collaboration with Joyce? Tremendous. https://www.popmatters.com/nelson-angelo-joyce-review

I know of it and know his association goes bak five decades--but I have not found a copy I can afford of their release together.

Edit to add: I decided to pay more than I wanted to for a cd copy.

Edited by jazzbo

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

More in this series are due out the end of the month. Great stuff, reissued expertly.

Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra: Live At I.U.C.C. 11/26/1978maxresdefault.jpg

Relieved to hear that we will be seeing the rest of the disks by end of March.

19 hours ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2023-03-10-174014.jpg

This band was really hot at said time .... special mention goes to Buster Williams ....

A good one !

IMG-5557.jpg

i still have mixed feelings about Ware. On one hand I dig him and enjoy the music. On the other hand his music seems a little directionless or something like that. After half an hour I find it quite a tiresome listen. Anyone who (dis)agree?

5 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-5557.jpg

i still have mixed feelings about Ware. On one hand I dig him and enjoy the music. On the other hand his music seems a little directionless or something like that. After half an hour I find it quite a tiresome listen. Anyone who (dis)agree?

I definitely do agree with you. Often quite samey too.