So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Oh Yes!!!

Now streaming

Primary

I don't know why (although I did have them down as an electric Miles tribute act) but I have completely ignored Nucleus until recently when I bought 'Labyrinth' mostly because Norma Winstone's on it. Now investigating them chronologically, this is very good isn't it?  Sounds not unlike the Graham Collier albums of this time that I love so much.

I took a complete flyer on the 6-CD Nucleus Torrid Zone box set on Esoteric (with the same cover) two or three years ago and loved it, one of my best purchases of that year (guessing 2021). Still listen often. IIRC I was considering the BBC set and went for the Esoteric instead because it was a lot smaller investment and looked like a fine selection.

People (e.g. Lon, felser) have praised the BBC set, and I'm sure it's very good, but at 14 CDs and a considerably higher outlay, I doubt I'll ever spring for it. Sort of a "one or the other but not both" thing. I do enjoy the big Barbara Thompson BBC box, though the spoken intros have begun to grate after a few listens.

Edited by T.D.

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I took a complete flyer on the 6-CD Nucleus Torrid Zone box set on Esoteric (with the same cover) two or three years ago and loved it, one of my best purchases of that year (guessing 2021). Still listen often. IIRC I was considering the BBC set and went for the Esoteric instead because it was a lot smaller investment and looked like a fine selection.

People (e.g. Lon, felser) have praised the BBC set, and I'm sure it's very good, but at 14 CDs and a considerably higher outlay, I doubt I'll ever spring for it. Sort of a "one or the other but not both" thing. I do enjoy the big Barbara Thompson BBC box, though the spoken intros have begun to grate after a few listens.

Thanks, 6 CDs does sound more in my ballpark too. I also agree about including radio announcements, annoying to me in most cases

Carmen Lundy “Good Morning Kiss” Blackhawk Records

Her debut. A nice listen to a voice and producer and performer who will improve with time.

Carmen Lundy – vocals

Harry Whitaker – Piano

Curtis Lundy, Ben Brown – Bass

Victor Lewis – Drums

Mayra Casales – Percussion

Bobby Watson – Alto Sax

Rene McLean – Tenor Sax

Steve Turre – Trombone

Jon Faddis – Trumpet

Earl Gardner – Trumpet

Followed by                                                         

On my second time around this set, now disc V

These apartment tapes have some rough moments but sound overall sufficient to show the majesty in the music.

“Classic Don Byas Sessions 1944-1946” Mosaic Records, cd V

ee30ec4664774c52bd3c3e6cb74a36b3178b8195

Edited by jazzbo