• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, felser said:

Digital purchase of this classic:

image.jpeg.dbb1b2aaa0021375e4c1aaa0c8a6a26d.jpeg

This and "Drum Ode" are the only ECM albums I have. 

I was crazy about Lieb and tried to hear him as often as I could, since I had heard him with Miles. That flute solo on "Ife" in those years 73/74 was outstanding. 

I think I love "Drum Ode" even more than "Lookout Farm", but "Lookout Farm" was not only the album, it was the touring group that we heard in the mid 70´s after Lieb had left Miles. 

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Zenzile Featuring Marion BrownR-20744002-1635291719-2330.jpg.629d2e6ecda31471478d48424c4bfff1.jpg

Does anyone know any background to this one? Not much information on who or what Zenzile was.

👍 - I have two copies:

Baystate RVJ-6009 – here backcover

Zenzile back (Copy).jpg

and Baystate BVCJ-35123

Zenzile JP (Copy).jpg

... but unfortunately I don't know any details!

12 minutes ago, optatio said:

👍 - I have two copies:

Baystate RVJ-6009 – here backcover

Zenzile back (Copy).jpg

and Baystate BVCJ-35123

Zenzile JP (Copy).jpg

... but unfortunately I don't know any details!

Thanks. Brandon Ross. Weird Boston connection. Slightly soul / afro-beat sound. It's a bit of a random one. I do quite like the record. Or at least 3/4 of it.

Didn’t get much chance to listen yesterday. This morning I’m squeezing in some listening. After re-listening to the second half of the Benny Goodman Chronogical Classics cd I spun yesterday (that Quartet and Quintet material for Columbia was just fantastic with Red Norvo, Teddy Wilson, Morey Feld and in the Quintet the amazing Slam Stewart–and the Columbia engineering was just innovative and wonderful) I am now spinning Barylli Quartet “Mozart String Quartets” Japan UHQCD. An additional viola does a lot for this music. Sound is as good as the Beethoven recordings also reissued this year on UHQCD.

0cad9895efa4b72d6be9051243d3d4c608e5c2c6

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I’m now spinning Barylli Quartet “Mozart String Quartets” Japan UHQCD. An additional viola does a lot for this music. Sound is as good as the Beethoven recordings also reissued this year on UHQCD.

0cad9895efa4b72d6be9051243d3d4c608e5c2c6

Another winner by the Barylli Quartet .... 

28 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Another winner by the Barylli Quartet .... 

Yes. I've also picked up their Mozart string quartet recordings, and ordered the Beethoven Septet recordings. I like the way they interpret and play.

daniel_ted~_zulusball_101b.jpg

I'm a fan of Ted Daniel and this had been on the want list. Finally found a copy.

Not sure what critics would say, but it's a lot of fun to listen to.

With Ted Daniel (cornet), Newman T. Baker (perc), Charlie Burnham (violin), Joe Daley (tuba), Marvin Sewell (guitar)

Jelly-Roll Morton “Volume 1 1923-1929 The Alternative Takes In Chronological Order” Neatwork cd

I skipped the noisiest tracks. I’ve not spun Jelly Roll in some time. . . really enjoying these takes.

ca49e30aa37b65d4dfba11552c16d184ae11829c

jellyrollmorton.jpg

From left to right, “Common Sence” Ross, Albertine Pickins, Ferd “Jelly Roll” Morton, Ada “Bricktop” Smith, Eddie Rucker, Mabel Watts.

Edited by jazzbo
add photo