• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics - Inspiration Information 3

R-1715438-1406054254-1156(2).jpg.64ae83b4f4db4fc7a1bfec563a5ba372.jpg

First listen.

I'm not a big fan of The Heliocentrics, who I tend to find just recycle past music with the trappings of modern production (an issue with a fair bit of modern jazz), and I tend to dislike music associated with the current Ethio-jazz (Registered Trade Mark) revival, but this is a surprisingly substantial album, with some actual effort that has gone into songwriting and arrangement; not just capturing a mood that will fit nicely on a playlist in the background.

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Joshua Redman “Where are we Now” Blue Note cd

Featuring sensual singer Gabrielle Cavassa. Not a bad thing.

bff2f00ba75d7f7015093e7f5a1ca743e9e95d60

I bought this expecting a Joshua Redman date. Instead, I got a Gabrielle Cavassa date. While "not a bad thing", it was not was I was expecting or wanted. :)

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I bought this expecting a Joshua Redman date. Instead, I got a Gabrielle Cavassa date. While "not a bad thing", it was not was I was expecting or wanted. :)

I like it more than you I guess.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I like it more than you I guess.

It's not a matter of liking it or not. In general, I'm not a huge fan of vocals, so when I see a saxophone player listed as a leader, I expect that this saxophone will be the lead voice during the record. In this case, he's part of her backing band.

And to clarify, as a vocalist, she's pretty good and I can understand why you like this. I just think it should be a Gabrielle Cavassa CD, not a Joshua Redman CD. It's really almost a slight to her, like they needed Redman's name on there to sell it.

30 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

OK. It clearly indicated it was featuring her, and to me it;'s also clearly Redman's date with a travel theme that he wanted vocals for. 

Clearly? The cover has "Joshua Redman where are we" in large letters at the top, with "featuring Gabrielle Cavassa" in much smaller font down the bottom. I don't think that's an indication that she's on all of the tunes. I was expecting her to be on one or two tunes, not 9 out of 12.

image.jpeg.9327af935995a86d349ba5e6ddd0eb32.jpeg

To me it's clear enough, I have an immediate sense of what "featuring" means that may differ from what you infer from that. Not wanting to argue back and forth with you, we often see and hear and prefer things differently. Sorry you were disappointed.

Edited by jazzbo