Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ethan Philion “Meditations on Mingus”

I want to say this is a splendid release. The Mingus material selected is STRONG. I mean Mingus strong, that’s really something. This ensemble inhabits the music of Mingus in a unique, almost mysterious way. And this is truly one of those rare recordings where the engineer sees the arranger’s vision, and the arranger senses the engineering possibilities, and beauty emerges–or at least that is how I hear it and feel it.

3938ae3aba9b565cf38ad29ae210c9f1d6db1a69
Edited by jazzbo

On 3/7/2024 at 11:05 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Never heard of this one.  How do you rate it?

It was actually only the first (or second?) time I listened to the album :) Was mainly curious about Peltier, who plays cornet (nice sound). Kirk plays a mean baritone on the opening, amongst other things. Interesting original compositions.

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Ethan Philion “Meditations on Mingus”

I want to say this is a splendid release. The Mingus material selected is STRONG. I mean Mingus strong, that’s really something. This ensemble inhabits the music of Mingus in a unique, almost mysterious way. And this is truly one of those rare recordings where the engineer sees the arranger’s vision, and the arranger senses the engineering possibilities, and beauty emerges–or at least that is how I hear it and feel it.

3938ae3aba9b565cf38ad29ae210c9f1d6db1a69

His quartet CD Gnosis is good too.

17 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I don't know that one, will have to rectify soon

Edit to add: copy purchased, thanks for the post John

It's great, you'll love it, Mark.  I grab anything by her I can find that's not outrageously expensive.  Saw her live at the Philadelphia Art Museum several years ago along with my wife, board member LWayne, and some other board members.  Amazing show.

7 minutes ago, felser said:

It's great, you'll love it, Mark.  I grab anything by her I can find that's not outrageously expensive.  Saw her live at the Philadelphia Art Museum several years ago along with my wife, board member LWayne, and some other board members.  Amazing show.

There's a very nice selection of Kurt Weil songs on the 2nd disc. 

1 hour ago, felser said:

I'm just entering the "grab everything" stage. Her Artist Share CDs are very costly here so it's downloads of them and then any other CD releases like this one.

I saw her about five years ago, knock out evening, just blew me away. 

56 minutes ago, medjuck said:

There's a very nice selection of Kurt Weil songs on the 2nd disc. 

That was an added attraction, I'm interested to hear her take on Weill

37 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I'm going to see Maria Schneider & her orchestra at Birdland Thursday (3/14). I'm really looking forward to seeing/hearing this great group again.

Very envious, enjoy it!